Review Round 2, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, we gave it a shot.

Absolutely wonderful game from CC. Brilliant. Deadset genius. BOG.

Cox and McClugg showed a lot, Bundy was real good. We showed life when Berry perked up. Good stuff from Matho too.

Zorko and Beams some way off their best. The good news is there's plenty of space for us to improve this year.

It's the hope that kills you but when there is hope, there is a game of football and not an 80+ blowout that causes you to turn the TV off at half-time.

Proud of the boys for fighting back, lots of things to work on but the talent is at the club now and our stoppage work has improved greatly.

That's 2/2 games so far in the 2018 season that the Lions have had a chance to win, I'd honest to god prefer 22/22 chances to win and 0 wins, than 7/22 chances to win and 5 wins. It means I can look forward to next week.

Fix the turnovers by dealing with pressure better and stop the easy rebound goals and we'll start to win games against good sides.

Question for people at the ground, did anyone take notice of Mathiesons running. It's difficult to see on TV obviously. Defensively was he alright? If so that would be huge because I thought he had a good game.

If we could only put in a three quarter effort we’d be winning these games. Heartbreaking.
Question for people at the ground, did anyone take notice of Mathiesons running. It's difficult to see on TV obviously. Defensively was he alright? If so that would be huge because I thought he had a good game.

IMO not really; I thought he lagged the game a lot. I have confirmation bias with Matho though.

McCluggage is looking so so good this year. Will only get better as he gets older.

Cameron was absolutely worth pick 12. Absolutely electric and was everywhere all game. Has completely changed the dynamic of our forward line.

Mccluggage played the best game of his career tonight. He attacked the footy and the opposition players with ferocity, as well as looking composed with the ball and also applying countless shepherds and pressure acts. Really really impressive game from him and he's finally starting to show why he was considered a potential pick 1.

I know its 2 games in and he was still pretty good tonight but Witherden has 100% been sucked into the hype around him or has second year blues. His kicking is just slightly off compared to last year and he psychically looks in worse shape, hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Lack of polish does us in again. I think we'll see this few times this year. Frustrating to watch, but it's better than the dull feeling after a non-contest.

Stefan and Cameron were huge. Zorko shat the bed when it counted. He can go either way at that critical stage of the game.
Thought McCluggage, Matho, Berry and Bundy were good. Same with Lewy but fluffed a few critical moments. Gardener good too. So was Harris, although his laconic style under pressure works overall but gee it's a tad annoying to watch as a supporter at times. Beams and Lester were solid. the whole midfoeld group were pretty solid. Liked Cox's game and hope he plays next week.

We'll be winning these games next year. I hope we can keep it up the pressure and contested gains in the next few weeks. Just need to add the composure into the mix.

Proud of the effort. Keep it up boys!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great comeback , Cameron is a dead set champion , but we gift teams wins two in a row

Bloody turn overs , Jesus boys Christ you are better than that.

Many points for fighting to the end. Pulling back 42 pnts is no mean effort. Chugga and cox showed a glimpse of what's to come

Frustrating. We had all the run and should have gone on with it. They were cooked. I feel like we lost the game psycologically in the last. To drop away by 26 points after drawing even at the 9 minute mark was very annoying.

Come back was fun, but overall just so far off the mark.

We need a tall forward target.

Harris Andrews is currently an average footballer, has been since this time last year.

Turnovers. Turn overs. Turn overs.

Really really frustrating that we lost it, especially since we were so close. At least it was a game.
Zorko needs a rocket up his ass, been terrible for 2 weeks and his 50m penalty and his missed set shot it basically what cost us the game. Heads dropped after that game.
Hippy wasn't that influential but he did get 15 disposals or something which is a positive.
Beams missed some gettable shots which is frustrating.
Walker l think needs to be dropped, no point in having him if he can't kick the shot. Give Big o a go instead.
Cox, McClugage, CC were all very good.
Rayner did nothing, just needs to chill when he is taking a set shot, not rush it.

While the comeback was great, we still have a lot of stupid footballers on the list, kicking to 2 on 1's etc. We are always gonna concede a huge amount of points when we turn over the ball so much due to stupid mistakes. Some of these guys aren't young anymre so can't blame inexperience.

Harris Andrews is currently an average footballer, has been since this time last year.

You were speaking so much sense until this point. Shame.

At his age to put up with what he does is commendable.

We looked light years off Melbourne's contested ball in the first half as well as their ball use going quick forward. Very pleased to drag it back but a disappointing last ten minutes. The focus on contested footy over the pre season is obvious.

Geez, Hogan lives to carves us up, and Gartlett was very good. On our side, Cameron is absolutely delicious and the ruck contest was epic.

Their inside 50s looked much better; I'm not sure if it's our forward every, our setup or are we still lacking that mature and dangerous KPP.

I know its 2 games in and he was still pretty good tonight but Witherden has 100% been sucked into the hype around him or has second year blues. His kicking is just slightly off compared to last year and he psychically looks in worse shape, hopefully it doesn't happen again.

I thought it was the second week in a row where he started poorly but worked his way into the game along with improving his kicking and decision making.

Green shoots apparent after half time....

Not sure what was happening in the first half though. Hope we fix that quickly.

McCluggage good - looked clean and poised.

Small forwards in Cameron and Christensen excellent.

Martin good.

Zorko worked into it.

Rayner a worry with only a handful of possessions. Might need some time in the ressies.

Spread that Third Quarter effort over the whole game and not have to work from 42 points down and we'll see some improvement. Absolutely spent in the last there but I guess I'll take a good comeback then loss over a 60+ point flogging which is where it was heading.

As a Titus O'Reily reader I was looking forward to his Demons meltdown... ah well

Geez McCluggage was good wasn't he? He's always appeared hesitant going for ground balls and indecisive with ball in hand, but then tonight he plays with the composure of a 100-gamer.

You were speaking so much sense until this point. Shame.

At his age to put up with what he does is commendable.
He isn't quick, so gets beaten by more agile key fowards like Hogan and he isn't really that strong, so the bulkier key forwards can have their way with him.

Is average the right word? I dunno, I like Harris and think he'll be great for us but he isn't immune to criticism or debate.

Back