Autopsy Round 2, 2024: Hawks go to hell

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough day but we have our benchmark now, I actually think theirs a lot of upside if he get the structure in the middle right.

Our forward play is slowly clicking but if we don’t get the centre right it’s not worth much.

Wants:
  • Amon on the wing
  • newk to be tried in the backline when it’s the other mids go
  • weddle forward was undefendable, a lot in this
  • Henry or Morrison to come into the middle, Moore some more time to
  • reeves dropped, he is the biggest liability in the team and offers nothing defensively and doesn’t win majority of the taps, if that’s all he can do then it’s not worth it in the game
  • maginess kicking of the football is unaustralian, not sure how he stays but if he does maybe he needs to learn to use his hands
-keep Hardwick back, he really helps sic play his game and his a smart player we sorely miss down their, seamus back will be gold

A forward line of chol/lewis/dgb/ginny/wiz/moore and Ramsden changing with chol in the ruck would be genuine.

If Amon can go back to the wing, ward or Morrison tried in the middle for some defensive pressure and newk looks good in the back we will have enough pieces to challenge better. But it’s all about getting the effort right in the middle for four quarters, the bigger teams will just smash us for a half and cruise if we don’t. I would even go so far as saying impey, we need senior players in there or it’s going to be a long year.

Coaches and game plan still showing the stagnant play and strange defensive setup, but we have set our level now.

Reeves doesn’t need to provide much around the ground. Where he needs to lift for mine is in the quality of his taps.

Last year he was putting our players into space this year the taps he’s getting aren’t giving our mids any real advantage.

Our mids also need to stop fumbling and be a lot cleaner but Reeves needs to lift his hit-outs as well when it’s the only thing he offers.
Wouldn’t it be nice if he could lift in an area where he is so poor, so he wasn’t so reliant on the “only thing he offers” to be our first choice ruck?

I'll repeat what I said after the * game. We need to start picking the side that we think will take us forward and get games into those players. And play people to their strengths. I'd like to see Ramsden in as the second ruck/fwd (we played well when Kosi played this role). Seamus in the backline for a bit of speed. Hustwaite in the team.

No Gunston he is not the future.

our midfield is playing poorly, when they say -9 centre clearnaces in both games it doesnt sound too bad, until you realise theres around 20 per game, which is deplorable

Centre Clearances
Ess - 18 Melb - 14
Haw - 9 Haw - 5

Clearances
Ess - 40 Melb - 35
Haw - 31 Haw - 23

cant win momentum, cant win...

get Hustwaite in, at least he can win a clearance, these muppets arent performing, 14 to 32 in the square where momentum is created, do better... 30% win rate, losing 70% of the time and they get clean air clearances too whereas ours is a struggle chaos kick, around the ground we're competitive, but in the centre we are coping it in the butt...

Last edited:
Did anyone see the Dees vDogs last week ?
The Dog basically couldnt win/move the ball from 15 mins in the first 1/4 .
And they are better and far more progressed than us .

Dees repeated the dose again to us . They keep that up , they are up to their ears winning the flag

First 1/4 was deer in headlights stuff , after that we just couldnt complete enough good play against them due to skill .

Say it louder for the people in the back.

Melbourne look like a genuinely good side this year. I was at the game today and haven’t seen a team set up that well behind the ball after a turnover in a very long time.

I feel like no one actually listened to Rob McCarthey on the Hawks insiders pod.

Just like last year, he stated that we’d have to build into the season. That we had some areas we know we need to get better at, but that we would in time.
That we have players who need to build an understanding together and they will be better for it as the season progresses.

Far too many white flags here as per usual.
Rob McCartney’s comments on a podcast don’t excuse a complete lack of effort.

Demons 9 goals from clearances today. 5 from centre clearances.
That’s the game.

Days like today make it feel like we are a million miles away.

It took Melboure and Carlton years and years to hit the draft jackpot.

Unless our early picks come on we are clinging to false hope and the arrogance that past success guarantees a successful future.

Our experienced core are not good enough to get us anywhere. Until we unearth our next group of star players we are better off staying at the top of the draft.

It's a long year. Let's hope for signs the kids might come on. Things can turn quickly if they do.

This is the reason why I think the Rebuild only really started when Mitchell took over as before that it was a stuff up top up and has put us back years. But now one wants to know this on here.

Say it louder for the people in the back.

Melbourne look like a genuinely good side this year. I was at the game today and haven’t seen a team set up that well behind the ball after a turnover in a very long time.
Yeah that’s bullshit. Melbourne aren’t that good.

We should have had a better game plan to combat their allegedly superior behind the ball style.
We played into their hands with our bafflingly weird first quarter game plan.

Breust started very slowly last season (8 goals in 6 games), but finished the season with 47 goals. Hopefully it's just a case of him starting slowly again, though given his age it's inevitable that the wall will come.

IMO we really need to see what Butler has to offer, if anything. We need him to work out for us. Breust and Gunston (and Wingard) have nothing left to prove and won't be part of any success we may have in 3 or so years, so we should be giving guys like Butler a go.

OUT:
  • Reeves
  • Breust
  • Gunston
  • Finn

IN:
  • Meek
  • Butler
  • Mitchell
  • Hustwaite

Maybe make Impey the sub.

Amon to a wing with Mitchell going into the backline.
Quite possibly the worst game Breust has played in his career, but he's undroppable. Esp as he looked very sharp last week when he was on fire setting up goal opportunities.
Finn's skills are deplorable but he's won us games with the hard tag and don't think Oliver did much today did he?
It's true, Gunston isn't part of our future, but he's way too classy not to be playing. Reeves is our future, so need to persist. Meek is bloody average and not the answer

Yeah that’s bullshit. Melbourne aren’t that good.

We should have had a better game plan to combat their allegedly superior behind the ball style.
We played into their hands with our bafflingly weird first quarter game plan.
Hate to break it to you, but they are that good.
The best midfield group in the comp, the best defensive setup in the comp and a forward line that can kick winning scores.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely the Reeves critics don’t seriously believe Meek would do better.
Reeves may have his shortcomings but Meek has failed to convince anyone that he would be an improvement.
I think the new ruck rules have killed off Reeves, he’s just not strong enough, I thick Meek is worth a go as Reeves just drops the ball at his feet even if he wins the tap.
Today reminded me of 2005 and the Crawshay Years, we were that bad.

Hodge showed signs from game 1. We knew we had something special, just took a while for consistency. I don’t see the same in our current list.

I'm willing to wager that nobody in our 23 today will have the same sort of career Hodge did :)

We don't have the cattle guys. You can pick apart game plan all you like, but the concerning thing for me is, we've been at the bottom for 5-6 years now, and we've still got one of the most vanilla, underwhelming lists in the comp. With the exception of a select few, we seem to be drafting too many role players.
As much as it hurts, you are pretty spot on.

Hate to break it to you, but they are that good.
The best midfield group in the comp, the best defensive setup in the comp and a forward line that can kick winning scores.
In your opinion…
They won’t go deep into September. Their forward line isn’t that good and they’re overly reliant on Gawn.
They’re not that good.
In my opinion.

Yes Reeves was beaten but he wasnt disgraced like Mcevoy was many times.
Holy s**t, McEvoy was a f$&king champion for our club. I can't remember the last time our #1 Ruck was so unintimidating. ffs, the two shortest players on the ground today we're more intimidating than Reeves.

What’s this building into the season BS.
What are we, the defending premier.
The second youngest list in the comp, with a new forward line and a midfield that is missing our 2023 B&F winner.

We were never going to storming into 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back