Women's Footy Round 4, 2022 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Flog commentator cheering for Geelong šŸ™„
He is just commentating for the Victorian (non Lions) supporters. I think they forget about the rest of the country.
I would like a group of one-eyed Lions supporters commentating one day.

We were a 3 to 4 goal better team on the day but hung on for a close win
Good experience for some players to be involved in a close game
We need to lower our eyes a bit more going into our forward 50
When you win the inside fifties 38 to 12 but only take 4 marks inside 50 that has to be fixed up.
We were a bit undisciplined at times contributing to about 3 of Geelong's 4 goals.
Not sure who we play next week but i feel we are playing well enough to beat most sides

Pros - we won.
  • Dawes is a tackling beast.
  • Svarc was everywhere.
  • Dax wasn't too shabby in her 1st game back.
  • O'Dwyer was everywhere..
  • Wardlaw kept trying to involve herself, which I personally thought was good, as someone who has been quite critical of her playing over the last 2 seasons.
  • Bodey kept at it
  • Hodder was tackling everyone. Quite possibly the shortest player in the league and she likes taking it up to much bigger players.
  • Grider, Koenen, Bates played like the midfield warriors they are.
  • Hickey was good in the ruck
  • Still managed to win despite only having played 3 days previously

Cons - kept kicking it to the cats defenders
  • Kept dropping marks
  • 9 behinds.
  • Gabby C injured again

Need to play better against c'wood, which we will since we will be better rested, because the pies need to be taken down a few pegs and reminded that we won the preliminary last year because we were the better team. And that we are still the better team. They've been in the comp the same amount of time as us but last year was their only good year. 2019 was our only bad year (losing two GFs is bad as well but we were in a position to lose them). If we can improve our forward entries and goal accuracy and clean the hands up a bit I reckon we beat the pies by 19 pts.

Jess Wardlaw's game has gone up a notch this year. A genuine target up forward, and was important down back in the last 5 minutes.
I seem to recall her not exactly being a one grab player in previous seasons, so seeing her under the ball kept my heart in my mouth - but she nailed each of them when others just kept spilling the wet ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Svarc is a weapon that we need to unleash. Her speed is exceptional out of the ruck area. The forwards really need to develop the sense of where to be when she is heading into the 50.

Svarc is a weapon that we need to unleash. Her speed is exceptional out of the ruck area. The forwards really need to develop the sense of where to be when she is heading into the 50.
Not the best at hitting up targets though, which they need more of.
She is more of a whack it on the boot and hope kinda gal.
Love the burst out of stoppage though.

Not the best at hitting up targets though, which they need more of.
She is more of a whack it on the boot and hope kinda gal.
Love the burst out of stoppage though.
She looked good and is totally committed when she is a chance for the ball, but as you say and AflQLD alluded to, she burns the footy a bit.
I recon she bites off more than she can chew in that she hasn't got a big kick and it fell short of the target a few times and went straight to Geelong's defenders.
Needs to find a target she can hit or as qfl said the other forwards needs to realize this and give her at least one short option.
I'll back her in though to make an important linking player.

She looked good and is totally committed when she is a chance for the ball, but as you say and AflQLD alluded to, she burns the footy a bit.
I recon she bites off more than she can chew in that she hasn't got a big kick and it fell short of the target a few times and went straight to Geelong's defenders.
Needs to find a target she can hit or as qfl said the other forwards needs to realize this and give her at least one short option.
Perhaps she should just go the chaos ball occasionally.

She does tend to bite off a bit, she tends to run maybe 4 to 5 steps too many and is always kicking under pressure as a result.
More often than not resulting in a turnover.
Itā€™s actually one of the things that Charlie Cameron used to do as well, but he has fixed that up over time.

Thought Conway will be better for the run....looked a tad rusty on most disposals but lookout Maggie's.

Back