Review Round 5, 2024 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Comprehensive win. As good as I have seen us play in last few years. We had the game on our terms for entire night and the Dees saved grace with some junk goals in last qtr when steam had gone out of the match.

I don't think we had one bad player. Everyone played their role and the tacking and general pressure was outstanding. Every time they looked to have an overlap we shut it down with a great tackle or spoil.

Defence was excellent lead by Harris Andrews. Payne destroyed Brown. Starcevich always does the job week in week out. Lester was again superb. So under appreciated. Wilmot just a super young player who backs himself and going to be a 200 game player. Answerth has been good last few weeks - although still does the occasional hack kick to clear out of back 50.

Rayners best game for the Lions. I don't care about the goals part. He won about half a dozen clearances in first 25 mins and all resulted in the ball going into our forward 50. Massive performance - can he maintain it now?

Also Hippy was excellent early and while it might have looked like he faded in second half their were a few contests right in front of goal where he was outnumbered by at least 2/3 Dees players and on numerous occasions he got a hand to the ball and bought to ground for our little forwards. He worked his back side of last night.

Also I thought Zorko kicking in actually worked - he has a bit of dare and a couple times he hit the kick perfectly and we off and running. He will make the odd error but I can live with that if means we are not just bombing it to 55 out with a pack of players.

Great win and wonderful to see all the Lions supporters at the G last night. And well done to the champion Lachie Neale on 250 brilliant games.

I can feel another media beat-up brewing.

It will be just another example of an action on an AFL football being over-analysed by an rabid and overblown football media, searching relentlessly for the next great narrative to devour. Minor incidents (as this is) are magnified into front page stories to sell papers and generate internet traffic via clickbait.

This is coupled with breathless overblown analysis of why teams win or lose.

Social media adds further to the hyperbole and over-reaction.

Just waiting now for the annual 'club in crisis' story.

Most of it not really to be taken seriously.
The bolded is media in general not just footy media, it really is virtue signalling paltriness on steroids when you see the worst of it.

They like bathing in the power of setting the narrative.

Comprehensive win. As good as I have seen us play in last few years. We had the game on our terms for entire night and the Dees saved grace with some junk goals in last qtr when steam had gone out of the match.

I don't think we had one bad player. Everyone played their role and the tacking and general pressure was outstanding. Every time they looked to have an overlap we shut it down with a great tackle or spoil.

Defence was excellent lead by Harris Andrews. Payne destroyed Brown. Starcevich always does the job week in week out. Lester was again superb. So under appreciated. Wilmot just a super young player who backs himself and going to be a 200 game player. Answerth has been good last few weeks - although still does the occasional hack kick to clear out of back 50.

Rayners best game for the Lions. I don't care about the goals part. He won about half a dozen clearances in first 25 mins and all resulted in the ball going into our forward 50. Massive performance - can he maintain it now?

Also Hippy was excellent early and while it might have looked like he faded in second half their were a few contests right in front of goal where he was outnumbered by at least 2/3 Dees players and on numerous occasions he got a hand to the ball and bought to ground for our little forwards. He worked his back side of last night.

Also I thought Zorko kicking in actually worked - he has a bit of dare and a couple times he hit the kick perfectly and we off and running. He will make the odd error but I can live with that if means we are not just bombing it to 55 out with a pack of players.

Great win and wonderful to see all the Lions supporters at the G last night. And well done to the champion Lachie Neale on 250 brilliant games.
Speaking of under appreciated players Berry and Ah Chee have been excellent the last couple of weeks at filling the hole when we lose possession in the forward half and making a contest even though outnumbered towards the back half and holding it up till the Cavalry arrives.

Speaking of under appreciated players Berry and Ah Chee have been excellent the last couple of weeks at filling the hole when we lose possession in the forward half and making a contest even though outnumbered towards the back half and holding it up till the Cavalry arrives.

Think the best part of last night was the back 6’s performance. Given how high up the ground we were for the most part, they had a lot of difficult fast break football to defend against and held up super well.

Pressure up the field helped a lot, but so did basically every defender winning their one on one or making the right decision to peel off and support. Dees had about two marks inside 50 in the first 3 quarters I think?

I forgot to mention Berry who played a ripping game last night. Covered so much ground. Ah Chee is always reliable and does a lot of 1% that go unnoticed by most, but not his team mates.

Linc McCarthy is another. So many blocks and taps that don't earn him a possession but go along way to us winning. Oscar really fought hard last night against probably best ruck in the game. 50/50 a lot of contests around the ground.

Think the best part of last night was the back 6’s performance. Given how high up the ground we were for the most part, they had a lot of difficult fast break football to defend against and held up super well.

Pressure up the field helped a lot, but so did basically every defender winning their one on one or making the right decision to peel off and support. Dees had about two marks inside 50 in the first 3 quarters I think?
Tackling was also at a level/ferocity we haven't achieved for some time. Wilmot ,Lester, Starc ,Answerth were exceptional in that area.

I was just thinking the same thing... Ah Chee/Lohmann/Gardiner/Answerth?? Then you have Will Ashcroft coming back in a month or so.

Good problem to have.
Will has had a few setbacks…looking at July/August

I thought the win was really set up by Cam & Eric in the first quarter. I really liked the look of Hipwood getting further up the ground in the first quarter dragging Lever away from where he is comfortable playing. Pressure was what you want to see every week and our delivery inside forward was much smarter taking Lever and May out of the game. Rayners best game ever and proved he can be a fulltime mid. If we can play like that again next week we will beat the Cats.

That was a massive night! Been too many losing games at the G with too many friends who go for Melbourne. Was so nice to finally have a domination the other way. Might be feeling a little sore and tired today

The massive thing for me was that tackling pressure. We have been so critical for a while on soft arm tackles getting brushed away, but last night was a level I haven't seen for a long time. I cant remember when we have won so many HTB decisions in a game.

Want to bask in the glory more?

I must be in an alternate universe. This mob is praising our coaching nous. Fagan the best strategist, our assistants are guns. What has happened? Have all of them left for other clubs?

Intent.
Connection.
Teamwork.

Apart from the Carlton 1st quarter this year, and maybe a little of last years Dees MCG game, I can't remember a more complete performance than last night from this team. The boys were intent on making a statement and crush the supposed hoodoo in the process and did it admirably.

When we commit as a team all the pieces just fit. No wonder it frustrates the hell out of us when they don't - it's brilliant to watch it all flow together.

It's impossible to underestimate the difference work rate makes - Willmot has been beyond his years. Answerth is a junk yard dog who just will not give up. Berry just runs and tackles all day. Lester worked until he dropped. And what Rayner contributed last night has to make him understand what's required now.

It's that work that lets the quality of the rest of the boys shine. Defending is easier, forward pressure and goal kicking is easier. The patience, the game plan, the positional tinkering, but best of all - the execution. Just so happy to see it come together. No one beats us when we play like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

THE GREAT

TACKLING - Just more of that please

COACHING / GAMEPLAN PREP - We planned well for their good players. We had a good fast play / slow play method, the latter avoiding kicking it to Gawn. I think our overall set-up is not the best in coaching but kudos last night because it felt like we were really on top of our game

MCG WIN we have played the game really well vs melbourne the last 3 times for 2 wins. i think the hoodoo thing is pretty much done despite a poor record.

THE GOOD

RAYNER - needs more mid minutes. Faded somewhat but set the tone. Best way to build a tank is being in there.

WILMOT - what a gun for his age. So fast and a great leap.

PLAYERS BACK IN FORM - Cameron looked his old self. Berry good doing what he needs to do for the team - defensive mid. Not half back! Starcevich was awesome, has been building this year i think back to that form that had him looking like one of our better players. Dunkley has been building as well, the contested marks were really back last night. a massive pressure-release when he takes one in a half back exit kick, it means we can kick to him and avoid the opposition's ruckman as Dunkley seems to run to a vacant area with his man and just back himself.

ANSWERTH - i love his mongrel. i wish he would just take an extra beat before kicking / handballing. will be hard to keep his spot if he keeps coughing it up. but i feel like we need his type back there.

LOHMAN - just needs to play. Kicked a clever goal, and tackled really well. You always need a fresh face or two each season and this bloke should be one of ours.

THE BAD

OSCAR tried but i thought was walloped by Gawn. The frustrating part was he didn't seem to try anything new. Gawn just held him off with one arm at ball-ups and tapped away at will. And Oscar kept giving away the front spot in ball-ins!

NO SUB - Neale was such an obvious candidate. Tunstill waiting to go. Yes i know his 250th. If i were coach i would have sent someone to the lions area with a sign saying LACHIE GETTING SUBBED GIVE HIM APPLAUSE - 5 mins in to the last quarter. make it a real moment like they do in soccer. We looked tired late anyway and our best player needs to rest his ankle. We continue to be no good at the sub!

THE UGLY

CHARLIE - i reckon he gets rubbed out for that tackle. Terrible timing in another must-win game

THE ASHCROFT POST - if he is not back until August that would make it unlikely he is much good this year, need a few games post knee ot come good...

Zorko yesterday let it slip in a radio interview

Could be wrong I guess but unlikely you would think
Not sure if anything has happened recently but he has quite often had trouble with it swelling after giving it a decent workout.
Not sure if there is more to it than that?

Match Review Officer released their findings for last Thursday around 4pm on the Friday, so we should know about Charlie in 3 or so hours.

Hard to know what to expect. Lever clearly contributed to it but the MRO doesn't seem historically comfortable in calling that out. One arm pinned... What are the recent precedents?

The frustrating thing is it came right on the end of Charlie being denied 3 obvious free kicks in 20 seconds. It all smells like injustice.

One of the mids who were clearly tiring. Tunstill could have really used a run.

That's not really an answer.

Lachie was clearly tiring with his injury, but no way he would be taken off.

Rayner and Betty owning it and building their confidence. Don't take them off.

No way clugga or dunkley are subbing out.

Fletcher in same boat of needing game time as tunstill.

Who would you have taken off?

I don't think that's a good enough excuse when we're 49 points up and we have a young guy sitting on the pine waiting for his opportunity and several players looking gassed.

We were 49 points up. Take Lachie off with his ankle and their come back could have been a go ahead.

Retrospect is easy.

I’ve posted about this already so don’t want to bang on too much but it’s not good winning. If I’m Petty I’m putting that in the memory bank, these guys didn’t get to the AFL by being non-competitors

He put it in the memory bank last time. Might need to have a concussion dementia check cause he wasn't remembering it and using it to ignite a stellar performance last night.

I hope Fages doesn't even raise the Answerth thing internally. IMO its a good thing and shows a bit of a pep in our step and that our energy is back. There were a lot of those little things tonight which gives a good sign of where we're at mentally as a team.

100% this.

On the actual issue, I've no doubt there was heaps of niggle the whole night between Petty and our players. You could see it at the ground, and on the replay too. Who knows what was said to Answerth at some point?

More broadly, if we're getting some confidence/swagger back, and our more inexperienced players are starting to back themselves, that can only be a good thing.

That's not really an answer.

Lachie was clearly tiring with his injury, but no way he would be taken off.

Rayner and Betty owning it and building their confidence. Don't take them off.

No way clugga or dunkley are subbing out.

Fletcher in same boat of needing game time as tunstill.

Who would you have taken off?
Zorko - need to make sure he is fit across the year. Gardiner - wasnt doing a heap so going an extra runner could help. Dunkley - was playing well but again extra rest to keep him fit. McCarthy always cops a battering and has been in great form (no worry for being an experienced player in taking a rest).

There are plenty of options that could be subbed off easily with a bit of thought. Its a marathon of a season and we could have been smarter about it.

Zorko - need to make sure he is fit across the year. Gardiner - wasnt doing a heap so going an extra runner could help. Dunkley - was playing well but again extra rest to keep him fit. McCarthy always cops a battering and has been in great form (no worry for being an experienced player in taking a rest).

There are plenty of options that could be subbed off easily with a bit of thought. Its a marathon of a season and we could have been smarter about it.

Last night's game was a massive mental win. The boys are back to feeling they are in charge. Confident, focused and more primed for the season.

Personally I think pulling someone off takes away from this so I'm happy with the no sub, even though tunstill also deserved a chance.

It's a tough being cusp 22, but you only have to look at Lester to see being a sub and in and out of the team when you are young isn't the end of your career.

Back