Review Round 5, 2024 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I TIPPED THAT! Lester is a gun. Amazing aerobic capacity and demonstrated great gut running. Some heroic saves tonight. At the game and he directed traffic all night. I am so pleased others are now seeing what I have always seen.
With you around

no choice.jpg

Our midfield looked exhausted in the last. Lachies ankle was clearly sore.

Bizarrely, we had an inside mid sub and didn't bother using him.

Coaching blunder imo and not fair on Jimmy.

Negative aside, we are BACK BABY!
Who would you have taken off?

One of the mids who were clearly tiring. Tunstill could have really used a run.

I wonder if the reluctance was not wanting to mess with the uptick in form that so many of our players were able to generate. Fages said they would have subbed Lachie but for it being his 250th.

I wonder if the reluctance was not wanting to mess with the uptick in form that so many of our players were able to generate. Fages said they would have subbed Lachie but for it being his 250th.

I don't think that's a good enough excuse when we're 49 points up and we have a young guy sitting on the pine waiting for his opportunity and several players looking gassed.

The other extremely noticeable difference came from our inside 50s, where we actually had players leading at the ball and darts, rather than bombs being offered. I know this was used to mitigate May and Lever, but this should be the play every week. The other thing seemed to be less congestion at marking contests. I think there were only a couple of instances where we spotted each other's attempt to mark, whereas most games it's many

Just watching the Highlights and in the first quarter, Rayner was playing the Mitch Robertson “role” - hard at contests, never giving up and pumping it inside 50. More of the same please.

Brilliant performance. That level of pressure is the expectation moving forward. Wins like last night give our side belief. Very good from all. Zorko got plenty of ball but had some uncharacteristic turnovers. He will be right but he is certainly a guy that we should look to manage as he is so important down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fagan cops it a lot in some quarters for supposedly being not very tactically astute but deserves some real credit for some great moves last night.

Fox Sports -- "it cannot be understated just how well Chris Fagan planned for this interstate venture to the MCG."

Much better disposal efficiency and in particular the way we entered F50 was great.
yep one poster in particular non stop on Fages and players like Payne and Berry, who had operations and interrupted preseasons, and obviously were a bit underdone the first couple rounds.

One thing is for certain NOBODY IS COMING IN FOR LESTER! He is an INSPIRATION.
I thought Lester has been playing well all year, and he was GREAT last night, but in reality he was at times matched up on an 18 year old making his debut. Couple of times in the last Q out-marked by Brown when it looked like Payne was on the bench, but overall one of his best games no doubt in the last few years. Left his opponent to assist, took a spectacular mark and laid some good tackles. He would be in my top 5 for the game, but stating the obvious Cam was first and daylight second.

Fagan cops it a lot in some quarters for supposedly being not very tactically astute but deserves some real credit for some great moves last night.
No, see you're doing it wrong.

Fagan could never plan like that.

And our assistant coaches are all poor.

So full credit must be to the players, they're clearly coming up with these whole of field structures on the fly.

I think my tongue was so far into my cheek it's burst out.

This was one of the highlights of the night
I’ve posted about this already so don’t want to bang on too much but it’s not good winning. If I’m Petty I’m putting that in the memory bank, these guys didn’t get to the AFL by being non-competitors

I’ve posted about this already so don’t want to bang on too much but it’s not good winning. If I’m Petty I’m putting that in the memory bank, these guys didn’t get to the AFL by being non-competitors

My view is it shows we are confident and mentally up. It is a good sign.

The actual execution of the cry emote was also excellent.

Lester has always been a serviceable player who occasionally got exposed like all of our backs at some stage.

But he has levelled up this year on what was a pretty improved year last year.
Rarely loses a 1 on 1 and looks to have definitely found a yard of pace when he used to look like he was deadset running on a treadmill.

The type of player who I think opposition would’ve once low key fancied themselves against but now probably dread.

Back