Review Round 6, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Geelong

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Another player who certainly isn’t at the same level he was at a couple of seasons ago when AA started getting mentioned is Starce.

He obviously got shown up in the GF, then again in the rematch against the Pies a couple of weeks ago and again last night I thought Stengle was probably close to their best in those conditions.

A bit like Payne his effort towards the contest seemed a bit off a couple of times last night.

It’s no coincidence we are struggling more defensively this year missing Kiddy (HUGE out), McKenna, and then losing Doedee on top of that. Coupled that with Starce/Payne not at the level we know they’re capable of, it’s really been left to Harris, Lester and Motty to carry that defence.

Not sure your memory is quite as accurate as you think it is

Big O going down when he was dominating the ruck really hurt us, especially in those conditions. I thought O was a big part of why we were on top early.

I agree with Fages that them losing Stewart wasn’t a huge factor and more easily covered because intercept marking wasn’t a big issue in those conditions.

I don't believe he was "shown up" in the grand final or that bad last night
Hmmm maybe we have different opinion on the definition of “shown up”, although last I checked his direct opponent in the granny won the award for best player on the ground as a small forward.

His direct opponent last night had 17 disposals, 5 score involvements and 2 goals in a game that wasn’t made for scoring.

His form certainly isn’t as bad as Payne’s for example, but compared to what he was producing only a couple of years ago it isn’t at the same level.

I felt Tunstill had a good game yesterday. In wet conditions there was a lot of one touch pick ups, clean disposal/ball handling etc. Things looked a lot more assured when he had the ball but it's a shame he dutifully handballed to Neale or McCluggage as he would've been instructed to do. I would've loved to see what he would've looked doing setup kicks or taking more playmaking responsibility. Tunstill's ball handling definitely stood out and he took a dip with his second, third efforts as well as chasing.

Same with Answerth, another good game, scrappy conditions suited him to a tee and he played it very well.

Wilmot tried to break the lines

Yeah but he still had a forward to keep track of, we needed someone from wing with that type of role. Holmes just goes up n down the field and as soon as he gets the ball, its just pedal to metal. Good luck catching him.

Watching Sydney at the moment, Blakey does the same. He has the license to run full pelt and charge away while the rest of the team adjust around him. I don't think we have anyone like that, especially with that type of pace.

Hmmm maybe we have different opinion on the definition of “shown up”, although last I checked his direct opponent in the granny won the award for best player on the ground as a small forward.

His direct opponent last night had 17 disposals, 5 score involvements and 2 goals in a game that wasn’t made for scoring.

His form certainly isn’t as bad as Payne’s for example, but compared to what he was producing only a couple of years ago it isn’t at the same level.

I’m never watching last years grand final again but I vaguely remember a few of Bobby Hill’s goals not being kicked directly on Starc. Was staring into the sun all day and have managed to repress a lot of the memories so may be wrong.

I’m never watching last years grand final again but I vaguely remember a few of Bobby Hill’s goals not being kicked directly on Starc. Was staring into the sun all day and have managed to repress a lot of the memories so may be wrong.

Donald Trump Glasses GIF by Students for Trump

From memory he was certainly responsible for him first half mate, which is when Bobby was at his best imo. Although I too have tried to wipe that day out of my memory as soon as I left the ground.

Again I don’t want this to be seen as a pure bashing Starce post, it’s more because we know what he’s capable of. Again similar to Payne, we need to find a way to get all these guys (not just these 2) back to their peak performance especially this year when we have lost more of our key players through injury as well.

Ok you don’t understand modern footy

Big O going down when he was dominating the ruck really hurt us, especially in those conditions. I thought O was a big part of why we were on top early.

I agree with Fages that them losing Stewart wasn’t a huge factor and more easily covered because intercept marking wasn’t a big issue in those conditions.
I had this exact same conversation with my son about 20 minutes ago.

Losing our #1 Ruck in those conditions was a big blow.

Nether Stewart or Andrews or any of the talls from either side were ever going to be a major factor. The weather basically rendered all of them irrelevant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t like shitting on Cam because he seems like a great clubman and teammate, but it is hard watching the likes of Reid, Rowell, JHF etc run around week to week and not be a little jealous as to what other teams got with pick 1, as opposed to us having Cam produce a great game every so often and pretty average performances in between.

The best comparison would be Petracca who took quite a few seasons to be where he's at now. Also remember Rayner lost a season thanks to the ACL

The best comparison would be Petracca who took quite a few seasons to be where he's at now. Also remember Rayner lost a season thanks to the ACL
So did Petracca. Petracca is three year younger. In terms of when Petracca started dominating the midfield, it was his 5th season. Rayner is now in his 7th season.

I
So did Petracca. Petracca is three year younger. In terms of when Petracca started dominating the midfield, it was his 5th season. Rayner is now in his 7th season.
I don't think Cam has shown anything like Petracca either midfield or forward on any sort of consistent basis.

Not really a fair comparison. Petracca has been one of the best players in the comp for a few years. Cam's nowhere near.

I

I don't think Cam has shown anything like Petracca either midfield or forward on any sort of consistent basis.

Not really a fair comparison. Petracca has been one of the best players in the comp for a few years. Cam's nowhere near.

Has Petracca played midfield from the get go though? As mentioned Cam has been moved all over the place. If Cam is given consistent midfield time we'll see more of the Melbourne game and less of the Cats game.

I

I didn't make the comparison.

But in fairness to bungalow_bill who did, Rayner himself made this comparison in his draft year, when he said he sees himself more like Petracca than Dusty.

I didn't make the comparison.

But in fairness to bungalow_bill who did, Rayner himself made this comparison in his draft year, when he said he sees himself more like Petracca than Dusty.
OK. Well I suppose that was a great prediction from Cam because he is more like Petracca than Dusty

Even if he's not much like Petracca.

Lyons had 11 disposals in a half of football.

In the Second Half Midfield Dunkley had 11 disposals and Rayner had 7.

Rayner had 14 for the entire game.
Ah Chee 13 for the entire game.
Tunstill 11 for the entire game.
Gardiner 10 for the entire game.
Lohmann 9 for the entire game.
Starcevich 9 for the entire game.

Lyons was not the problem.
Lester had 12 for the entire game and 5 in the 2nd half
You know don’t let the stats get in the way of a good story…

It’s no coincidence we are struggling more defensively this year missing Kiddy (HUGE out), McKenna, and then losing Doedee on top of that. Coupled that with Starce/Payne not at the level we know they’re capable of, it’s really been left to Harris, Lester and Motty to carry that defence.
i only disagree with the mention on Deodee. He’s not related to our form this year or last year.
Actually i also disagree a bit on Starc. He’s bern alright.
Losing Kiddy is s**t, as is Mckenna.
On the flipside, Zorko has been awesome.

i only disagree with the mention on Deodee. He’s not related to our form this year or last year.
Actually i also disagree a bit on Starc. He’s bern alright.
Losing Kiddy is s**t, as is Mckenna.
On the flipside, Zorko has been awesome.
Yeah we were more than competent down there last year as a defensive unit, but we obviously had big plans for Doedee to be part of that too and to lose him 24 hours before he was due to come back completely sucks.

You’re right about Zorko he has been good, but yeah certainly not to the level it looked like Kiddy was / had got to both offensively, but also defensively with his positioning/intercept marking.

I’ve said it ad nauseam, but my faith in this groups flag hopes for this year went before HT of round 1(or zero). I rate what Kiddy brings to this group and the way we play that highly. Nothing I’ve seen since has changed my opinion on that, although I admit I wavered a little bit last week for 3 quarters.

Some people will have a different opinion on that and that’s fine everyone’s entitled to it, after all I’m just a nuffy with no idea of the modern game right Nathan Barley 😉.

Back