Review Round 7, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Port Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Port Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

James Madden on the Roar Deal was impressive taking us into his mindset before and during his debut.

1- Said he was open a few times but didn't call for it as he was a bit worried about making a mistake.
2- Was very focused on making sure he had his man covered and not so much on the attacking side of his game, thought he could have been more proactive in that area.
3- The team set up very well behind the ball.
4- He was one out as the last defender a couple of times but had confidence in his speed to cover anything that came his way.
5- He found out Tuesday he was in the team and no matter what he tried to do to take his mind off the game he couldn't and he kept thinking about the game.
6- He felt mentally drained towards the end of the game.

James Madden on the Roar Deal was impressive taking us into his mindset before and during his debut.

1- Said he was open a few times but didn't call for it as he was a bit worried about making a mistake.
2- Was very focused on making sure he had his man covered and not so much on the attacking side of his game, thought he could have been more proactive in that area.
3- The team set up very well behind the ball.
4- He was one out as the last defender a couple of times but had confidence in his speed to cover anything that came his way.
5- He found out Tuesday he was in the team and no matter what he tried to do to take his mind off the game he couldn't and he kept thinking about the game.
6- He felt mentally drained towards the end of the game.
On points 1 and 2, he also said that he played similar to how did when he first started playing in the reserves, was more worried about the defensive side rather than attack.
And if he were to spend more time in the Seniors and gained more confidence would start to run off his man a bit more like he did in the reserves.

It’s not like it was a priority in the 70’s/80’s/90’s either just a lot of supporters and commentators who dream of the olden days
I will admit to donning my rose coloured glasses when reminiscing but I do seem to recall that most onballers i.e. people like Garry Wilson were two sided, backmen and ruckmen not so much.

I will admit to donning my rose coloured glasses when reminiscing but I do seem to recall that most onballers i.e. people like Garry Wilson were two sided, backmen and ruckmen not so much.

Was just something you were taught as a junior - at least have that bailout option. Does not seem to be a priority to the modern game/player.

weird you think being full time they at least be able to kick or handpass with their bad side at a passable rate
Some players looks like they cannot
They just panic if cornered on their wrong side and cough it up.

I don't think it's a generational thing. Some players can still do it. But not something the coaches believe is worth the training required ,for whatever reason.

They just panic if cornered on their wrong side and cough it up.

I don't think it's a generational thing. Some players can still do it. But not something the coaches believe is worth the training required ,for whatever reason.
Other than forwards standing by and letting their opponents take uncontested marks, I don’t think there’s anything that does my head in more than a bloke breaking into space then doubling back into trouble because he doesn’t have an opposite side.

Other than forwards standing by and letting their opponents take uncontested marks, I don’t think there’s anything that does my head in more than a bloke breaking into space then doubling back into trouble because he doesn’t have an opposite side.

Music released after 1979?

Back