Review Round 8, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Melbourne

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that happened. Both teams extremely wasteful, gave away dumb 50's and at time it looked like both teams were trying to gift the other the result. The goal review call on the Lever mark definitely aided us but whatever that sort of thing balances itself out. Bank the 4 points and hopefully we play Essendon in better conditions next week.
Positives were:
- Big O's work at ground level in the wet was fantastic, his effort all day set the bar for mine.
- Zac Bailey is becoming one of our most consistent performers, getting better and better each week.
- Biggest is obviously that we have a player on our list as good as Lachie Neale, those conditions showed just how much more clean and polished he was compared to every other player on the ground. He's the best footballer in the AFL.

I know we won and all but just plain tired of the absolute inconsistency of umpiring.
Marks paid when not held. Marks not paid when they are.
Blokes who don’t run off the line but slip in the kicking action are told it’s play on. Blokes that run off the line and dummy a handball don’t get told to play on, get a 50 and kick a goal.
Shoves in the back in the ruck not paid. Twiggy touchwood in the ruck paid.
Holding the ball is just a bloody raffle.
Just all over the bloody shop. Sends me batty. That last quarter was just abysmal umpiring.

Well we got there but made it very hard for ourselves.

Perhaps with Dees playing the spare down back and our midfield trying too hard to unsuccessfully enter fwd line quickly this is an experience that will sharpen them up.

Not going to bother criticising anyone, backing in the leaders to have the hard conversations and the coaches to navigate this upcoming difficult period.

Well done on the close win

So I almost got a heart attack at age 24. Anyone else almost give out there?

Of course not ... didn't you hear the commentators when it 2 points the difference and 4 mins to go ... all over the country Demon's fans are on the edge of their seats etc - apparently all is Lions fans were sitting there calmly confident in our inevitable victory...

Hipwood and McStay took some vital contested marks late in the last quarter.
They also kicked 1.2 between them, which is not enough for our Centre Half Forward and Full Forward. McStay had his third straight game without scoring a goal.

Neale far and above silky smooth angelically beautifully crispy clean brownlow best hands in the business.

Zorko was electric and McCluggage was great. Berry had a patch (I think exacerbated by exhaustion) he would certainly like to forget, but I think otherwise was solid.

The Big O I think was nicely physical in the ruck but Gawn was sneaky with some hands, but I think he had a much bigger impact around the ground. Also our mid-field negated a lot of Gawns influence.

Bailey played a blinder, moved back after Rich I think and was quite solid. And he baited Fritsch really well for that final 50m penalty :p

Lets hope Rich was just precautionary.

A bit ugly, but so is my dog and I still love her :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting footage of Fages getting into the circle to pump the boys up during the song.

Suspect he is more pleased than some here that we managed to grind that out.

Gave it to lach, lyons, Harris, bails and O for his work pretty much neutralising gawn. I actually had Berry in there three quarter time, but his 4th was such a shocker.

Well we got win with mitch and mcluggage playing a shocker (that point blank point ducked all the air out of our game) and Berry collapsing in the fourth, and with only three quarters of richy. Take it and move on.

As an aside, was anyone else sitting near that awful loud group of Melbourne supporters? When they started having a go at the lions mum at the footy with her family i was surprised no one got into a physical altercation with them. Definitely had it coming

Game should have been sealed and finished when McCluggage was running into open goal 20m out. That terrible kick allowed the Dees back into the game and in the end we were a bit lucky to hold on. Hippy and McStay actually took some important marks in the last qtr but as usual with those two they couldn't finish with a goal. Lucky for us the Dees missed plenty as well.

Oscar I thought had a ripping game and really competed hard but my gosh Gawn is a seriously good ruck. Some of his taps were sublime. The Dees should be a top 8 side just on the service he provides them every week.

We missed Richy off half back. Lost a bit of drive. Birchall is very suspect in marking contests but his kicking and changing angles is massive plus. Can see how he made the Hawks so good coming out of the back line.

Bailey super again. He should be permanent on the wing next year. McCluggage on the other wing. Neale another 3 votes. simply we don't win without him tonight or Harris. Gardiner was excellent down back. Liked Starcevich game.

More than ever I think after that game tonight we need to seriously consider resting half to 3/4 team for the Tigers game in 9 days. Throw everything into Fridays game against Essendon.

I would give votes to the 3 field umpires as well as the goal umpire who called for that review followed by Neale who played well as always.
Give it up squirt, you won the free kick count and were gifted 50m penalties leading to goals. There was extremely poor umpiring for both sides. Hope you're looking forward to another top 10 pick!

Back