Game Day Round 8, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A terrible timeslot for a "rivalry" that produces terrible to watch football.

Did you know your pupils are the last part to stop working when you die? They dilate.

Game dayyy
Hey a 3 o clock start would be good,just saying
Is revile playing midfield ? Haven’t watched much ressie games this year.
Hoping no Gardner up front or is this the game he kicks the winner 🥇
Weather maybe not that bad but annoying enough for our lower tier seats
Bit undecided whether to go or stay home
See how the day goes

It is probably asking too much for the rain to hold off to get the crowd to turn up tonight.
I have been looking at the ticket sales during the week.
On Tuesday there were not that many tickets left for sale at Ticketmaster. At a guess about 300/400.
When i checked again on Thursday that number grew to about 1,600.
Thinking a lot of tickets may have been set aside for the Suns initially and returned to Ticketmaster Thursday.

Looking today tickets are at Low Availability.
Section 233 next to video screen about 80 for sale.
Section 436 back 2 rows
Section 440 back row.
Then sprinkling of seats over the ground.

Depending on the Cricket Club and Corporate attendance we should break the 27,170 record.
The long weekend and the proposed rain will also be a factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is probably asking too much for the rain to hold off to get the crowd to turn up tonight.
I have been looking at the ticket sales during the week.
On Tuesday there were not that many tickets left for sale at Ticketmaster. At a guess about 300/400.
When i checked again on Thursday that number grew to about 1,600.
Thinking a lot of tickets may have been set aside for the Suns initially and returned to Ticketmaster Thursday.

Looking today tickets are at Low Availability.
Section 233 next to video screen about 80 for sale.
Section 436 back 2 rows
Section 440 back row.
Then sprinkling of seats over the ground.

Depending on the Cricket Club and Corporate attendance we should break the 27,170 record.
The long weekend and the proposed rain will also be a factor.
6:30am start tomorrow morning (yes I work public holidays). 50/50 on going tonight as it is. Any chance of rain, and it's a stay home.

6:30am start tomorrow morning (yes I work public holidays). 50/50 on going tonight as it is. Any chance of rain, and it's a stay home.

What if I told you draft picks are on the line.

Below is a conversation I've had on Twitter with one of the authors of ABC's very excellent about our scoring issues so far this season

The original piece been posted in a couple of threads already but it ties in with some things I'll be keeping an eye on tonight, so appropriate here as well.

I noticed the drop off in Zorko's inside 50 effectiveness in the below chart:

Screenshot_20240505_134002_Chrome.jpg

I thought perhaps it was due to Zorko's shift to half back, thus getting the ball further from goal, thus going inside 50 further from goal. But the data doesn't really back that up:

So something to keep an eye on tonight.

Mainly tho I'll be watching for how we go about generating shots at goal. So far this season we have only been able to get a shot at goal on 41.3% of our inside 50s, well below the league average coming into this round of 46.9%.

On the other hand, Gold Coast have conceded a shot at goal on only 42.6% of entries against, but last Sunday, West Coast went at 51.4% against them. So no reason why we can't do the same with a bit of effort put into our aspect of our game.

So this is my main focus tonight. Yes, of course accuracy is important, and getting shots from high percentage spots inside 50, but I think first we need to fix actually getting the shot.

And to me there are 4 ways of doing this better:

1. Come out the FRONT of contests. It's only small, but in an industry where your opponent takes a mile given an inch, this matters. Every backwards or lateral handball at the back of a contest (either a stoppage or a marking contest) not only invites their on-ball pressure to come forwards towards us, but it also allows extra time and space for their structure to get set up behind the ball. Coming out the front denies them that space, more importantly that TIME as well.
  2. Move the ball quickly, forward. This is particularly relevant in our back half. If we take an uncontested mark, look to roll immediately, even if an option doesn't present right away. Trust that it will. Whether it's a quick handball or using the stand rule to advantage. Whatever, it's about denying an opposition that TIME to set their defensive structure.
  3. Move the ball quickly, laterally. Maybe their defensive structure is well set already. Fine. Don't dilly dally, waiting for a hole to magically appear for a leading forward, not have that happen, then bomb long to their outnumber anyway. Change angles and do so quickly. If we're in our forward half already, be prepared to lose ground to come back into the corridor. Doing so creates more usable space that a zone defence has to cover (ie the whole open side of the ground for a start), and thus becomes easier to find holes in.
  4. Forward defensive pressure. This is pretty self explanatory. If the ball goes in, it doesn't come out till we've got a shot off. And if it must come out, it comes out under pressure.

That's enough for tonight. Let's crawl before we walk. Get it done Lions.

Hope the VFL game isn't an omen for tonight.

I'm watching - it's awful. 129 v 57 to the suns with a quarter to go. It's a disaster.

So we are going tonight with the only expectation that we are there for friend who is a suns supporter who comes to every lions game and is gracious to us.

He deserves our support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back