Preview Round 8: Port Adelaide vs Essendon - Sunday, May 7th 1:10pm - Adelaide Oval

Who will win?

• Essendon

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Port

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Hey, another preview thread. Yay! Don't forget to react to this opening post; I'm a very insecure person and need my dopamine hits!

There's not much for me to say about Port Adelaide. I have no feelings towards them good or bad; sure they took Waganeen from us, (oh and Ryder, that one hurt a bit too) but that's about all I've got. I'm not suggesting they are irrelevant, almost that they are Adelaide's little rival; I'm almost willing to say that Kochie as pres was an inspired choice purely on the back of generating hate for the club.

Despite this, one of my earlier football attending memories was, at some point in the 90s, when I went as a youngster to the football with my future brother-in-law and his friends, to see us play Port Adelaide at the MCG. That alone is a bit of a novelty now, given that game would always be at Marvel. As I recall, we were up in the 4th with a decent enough lead so one of the guys (Let's call him Luke, as that was his name) we went with decided to leave 15 minutes early to beat the traffic and get out of the MCG Car Park early. While we were walking to the car, we joked about Luke not being to find his car. Lo and behold when we get to our car, there is Luke's car still parked exactly where it was when we arrived. We called out (literally, this was before everyone had mobile phones) to him and waited a bit just to make sure he was safe, and around 10 minutes later he finally found us and his car.

So there is it, my biggest memory of Port is that some numbnuts couldn't find his car for 25 minutes after a game.

Round 7 Results:

tumblr_ngwc59nod31rp0vkjo1_500.gif

We all expected that loss, and although at times it felt a bit like an older brother who knows his little brother isn't as good as him, so he eases off just enough to give him hope but then puts down any actual chance he has of winning, every time he gets close. As disappointing as some aspects of the game were, we have to be pleased at least with a few things.
- We fought back hard after an atrocious start
- Stringer and Weideman had good games
- We kicked over 100 points

ESSENDON 2.0 7.2 11.6 16.8 (104)
GEELONG 6.3 14.4 17.6 20.12 (132)

GOALS
Essendon:
Weideman 5, Stringer 4, Shiel 2, Draper, Caldwell, Redman, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Hobbs,
Geelong: Hawkins 8, Cameron 3, Simpson 2, Henry 2, Bruhn 2, Rohan, Close, Holmes

BEST (Afl.com.au)
Essendon:
Stringer, Weideman, Parish, Shiel, Caldwell, Martin
Geelong: Hawkins, Dangerfield, Stewart, Cameron, Holmes, Miers

INJURIES
Essendon:
Nil
Geelong: Bowes (calf), Rohan (hamstring)

LATE CHANGES
Essendon:
Nil
Geelong: Mitch Knevitt replaced Zach Tuohy (back) in the selected side

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon:
Will Snelling replaced Andrew Phillips in the fourth quarter
Geelong: Tanner Bruhn replaced Jack Bowes in the first quarter

Port handed St Kilda their second loss for the year. On a side note, congrats (for his game) and commiserations to Finlayson. Can't imagine what his going through, and wish him all the best.

ST KILDA 5.2 5.6 8.8 11.10 (76)
PORT ADELAIDE 2.2 6.7 9.10 12.11 (83)

GOALS
St Kilda:
Owens 2, Gresham 2, Higgins, Cordy, Membrey, Wood, Butler, Steele, Clark
Port Adelaide: Rioli 2, Powell-Pepper 2, Dixon 2, Finlayson 2, Duursma, Boak, Houston, McEntee

BEST
St Kilda:
Steele, Sinclair, Marshall, Wanganeen-Milera, Wilkie
Port Adelaide: Horne-Francis, Boak, Butters, Houston, Powell-Pepper

Last time we met

beating a dead horse wtf GIF

Port essentially spent 2 hours training against witch's hats in Essendon tops. I don't remember much about this game; Collingwood really did break our hearts as well as our season in 1 minute a few weeks prior, and this was just further proof of that. The only notable moment was when Mass kicked his first and second AFL goals back to back in the first quarter.

ESSENDON 3.4 3.5 6.5 9.8 (62)
PORT ADELAIDE 5.0 12.2 14.6 23.8 (146)

GOALS
Essendon:
D’Ambrosio 2, Perkins 2, Hind, Langford, Martin, Parish, Wright
Port Adelaide: Powell-Pepper 4, Butters 3, Georgiades 3, Finlayson 2, McEntee 2, Marshall 2, Amon, Bergman, Boak, Drew, Dixon, Houston, Rozee

BEST
Essendon:
Shiel, Parish, Perkins, Martin, Ridley
Port Adelaide: Butters, Aliir, Powell-Pepper, Finlayson, Rozee, Houston

INJURIES
Essendon:
Nil
Port Adelaide: Nil

MEDICAL SUBS
Essendon:
Ben Hobbs (Unused)
Port Adelaide: Jackson Mead (Unused)

Crowd: 20,568 at Marvel Stadium

Tricky this week as our VFL team had a bye.

Possible Ins:
Heppell
Davey Jnr
Snelling
Menzie
Baldwin
Bryan

Possible Outs:
Perkins
Phillips
Massimo

My Tip - I actually have a good feeling about this week... oh no! Disappointment incoming - Dons by 15.

Last edited:
Can’t believe we play these guys away then Brissy away. 2 of the best home track bullies in the league. If we win one of these I will be very happy. Interested to see which way we go on the selection table too.

The preview thread opener is updated now.

I feel like this is a handy away game in a sense. Will do the team good to get away from Melbourne for a couple of days.

Last edited:
For the last 3-4 years Port have generally played better away than home. We have won 8 in a row at Marvel
I think you have been particularly better this year. (Swans and Saints). The point I was trying to make is it is not a hospitable place to go to and get the 4 points.

Going off Scott's mantra of players in and staying in...given a decent break and no injury...dare i say we go in almost unchanged.

Hind -> Sub
Snelling -> 22

McGrath - Zerk - Kelly
Redman - Ridley - Massimo
Durham - Setterfield - Martin
Langford - Weideman - Perkins
Tippa - Flip - Stringer
Draper - Merrett - Parish
Caldwell - Hobbs - Snelling - Shiel
Hind

Going off Scott's mantra of players in and staying in...given a decent break and no injury...dare i say we go in almost unchanged.

Hind -> Sub
Snelling -> 22

McGrath - Zerk - Kelly
Tippa - Flip - Stringer
Hind
But some players were rested ie Hepple and Menzies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hind -> Sub
Snelling -> 22

McGrath - Zerk - Kelly
Tippa - Flip - Stringer
Hind

Heppell 100% comes straight back in.

I'm going

Kelly Baldwin McGrath
Ridley BZT Redman
Martin setterfield merrett
Stringer weideman shiel
AMT Voss Langford
Draper parish caldwell
Davey hind Hobbs Perkins
Sub. Massimo

In.baldwin, Davey, Voss
Out. Durham (Sus) Phillips (managed) Snelling,

We have been trialling Baldwin as a big Backman all year it's time to give him a crack up against Dixon and then Joe or Rafa

We've played 1st, 2nd and 3rd on the ladder and now play 4th and 5th in the next 2 weeks. We played Cats today who are now 7th and no doubt will be in top 6 by end of round 9. We will have probably played the entire top 6 by end of round 9 or close to it. Last year was very similar although at least this year we also got Hawkes, GC and GWS. Fortunately, Tiges in rd 10 is looking like we'd be favourites but given our record against them, I wont even be confident.

We do get Kangas and WCE twice in 2nd half of the season but the balance of the FIXture is all over the shop.

If we can start well against Port, we might be a sneaky chance. We have a good record at Adelaide Oval this year...

No he was omitted
I know it said omitted but in his press conference, Scott specifically mentioned it was a difficult call to make to not play Menzie and Davey. But they needed to look out for the younger players with the short break.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Davey is back in.

Durham will cop a week. I don’t think D’Ambrosio will play. Heppell will be an in.

Interested to see what they’ll do with our small fleet - Menzie, Davey, Snelling, Hind, Hobbs and Walla.

I think Walla gets another week. Not sure about the mix with the others.

After the last two games, not sure if they’ll back Phillips in or omit him to try a different option.

We've played 1st, 2nd and 3rd on the ladder and now play 4th and 5th in the next 2 weeks. We played Cats today who are now 7th and no doubt will be in top 6 by end of round 9. We will have probably played the entire top 6 by end of round 9 or close to it. Last year was very similar although at least this year we also got Hawkes, GC and GWS. Fortunately, Tiges in rd 10 is looking like we'd be favourites but given our record against them, I wont even be confident.

We do get Kangas and WCE twice in 2nd half of the season but the balance of the FIXture is all over the shop.

If we can start well against Port, we might be a sneaky chance. We have a good record at Adelaide Oval this year...

After the Lions game, our fixture looks decent. Lots of 50/50 games and some games we would be expected to win.

• Helps that we play Crows and Swans at Marvel.
  • Port at the MCG.
  • Eagles and North twice.
  • Freo down on form but a 50/50.
  • Another game against GWS - probably 50/50 at their home ground.

After the Lions game, our fixture looks decent. Lots of 50/50 games and some games we would be expected to win.

• Helps that we play Crows and Swans at Marvel.
  • Port at the MCG.
  • Eagles and North twice.
  • Freo down on form but a 50/50.
  • Another game against GWS - probably 50/50 at their home ground.
Yep, hence why if we could win 1 of next 2 and then beat Tiges and WCE in Perth we will be well placed. I have us finishing 12W-11L (which wont be enough to make finals) but there are too many 50/50 games and form shifts ahead. Tigers, Dockers and Swans all look beatable at moment but might be better by the time we play them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back