Review Round 9, 2024 - Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

can’t find it online but just watched First Crack and they showed enough examples that we lost the game and it was our senior players that lost it. Also showed numerous examples of Joe burning teammates on multiple occasions to the team’s detriment. Hard to argue with anything they said but pretty clear we threw two points away today.

Even that play where Dawson got the final point they highlighted that when Jaspa threw it on the boot, Collingwood players would have just bottled it in and that we don’t know how to play or lock in close games. We don’t and haven’t for years and is either another flaw of a Fagan or the team is still really dense and not doing what Fagan is asking.

Really rammed home how we honestly are our own worst enemy and I don’t know how people can say otherwise unless they’re wearing rose coloured glasses.
numerous = 2 and the first one Charlie wasn't even open anyway.
on the other hand Daniher kicked a crucial goal out of nowhere to get us back into the game at an important time.

We should ban from this board, "considering the players we have out injured".

If for the rest of the year that is all we hear after each game it will get real boring. It is what it is, other players have opportunities, the magnets can be moved around for positional changes and using the injuries every time is a cheap cop out. As it is said, squads win premierships not teams so lets move on and talk about the players we do have on the field and how they go/went

Being at the Melbourne game and watching Rayner destroy them in the first quarter playing in the middle then not getting the same opportunities in the middle since is perplexing. He is a bull so use him to win clearances.
It's strange he hasn't been given many opportunities since. The last two weeks it has been Berry, and I think that's because of team balance as much as anything. It leaves him in that awkward spot at half forward that he has never really mastered. I'm not sure where it leaves him as a long-term option in our team tbh. Maybe he comes back into the middle if/when Reville and Sharpe return to the VFL and Berry returns to the wing?

Moving on to Hipwood he actually tries hard but again has skill deficiencies.

He generated enough opportunities for himself to have a fair enough game but just didn't finish it off.

Nonetheless he's the best we have at present for his position ,which is a hard one to play, but he's a frustrating player to watch.

Is he ever going to get much better ? It's possible.
We all had great hopes early in his career but he is only a handy forward. Don't expect him to play well week in. week out and you can relax about Hippy

Fox targeting Daniher for a big clip seems odd to me. They’ve said he goes missing in the big moments but was one of our better players in the GF. That first quarter highlight, Charlie running back to goal with a player a couple of metres behind, would have taken a 10/10 kick to hit him.
Adelaide went into the game as favourites, had a full strength team and a few extra days break. I’d say they were the ones who would be expecting to win more than us. At the time when there was a stoppage outside 50 near the end the commentators said something like “Daniher can grab it out of the ruck and win it here”, they want it both ways almost.
Also criticising Fletcher for trying to clear the ball from a defensive stoppage when we’re up by 1 with 90 seconds left. Lol

We should ban from this board, "considering the players we have out injured".

If for the rest of the year that is all we hear after each game it will get real boring. It is what it is, other players have opportunities, the magnets can be moved around for positional changes and using the injuries every time is a cheap cop out. As it is said, squads win premierships not teams so lets move on and talk about the players we do have on the field and how they go/went
Strongly disagree, it's an important caveat in managing expectations. The alternative (and existing regular occurrence) is hearing about the same whipping boys after each game, which is already pretty boring.

Fox targeting Daniher for a big clip seems odd to me. They’ve said he goes missing in the big moments but was one of our better players in the GF. That first quarter highlight, Charlie running back to goal with a player a couple of metres behind, would have taken a 10/10 kick to hit him.
Adelaide went into the game as favourites, had a full strength team and a few extra days break. I’d say they were the ones who would be expecting to win more than us. At the time when there was a stoppage outside 50 near the end the commentators said something like “Daniher can grab it out of the ruck and win it here”, they want it both ways almost.
Also criticising Fletcher for trying to clear the ball from a defensive stoppage when we’re up by 1 with 90 seconds left. Lol
The worst thing about these footy shows is that they take a selective clip and drive a narrative that that's indicative of the whole game.

Then King says it all falls back on one player who just wants to be a hero and do his own thing or something like that. Well that was definitely not indicative of the whole game. In fact that was a misleading and dare I say nasty thing to say. Every chance to dig the boots into Joe they go for it.

As for the Jaspa thing King goes we could have generated 8 stoppages and just kept falling on the ball. Like Collingwood . With the ball 20 metres out and Oscar rucking ? We don't get the license to fall on the ball like Collingwood does.

Kingy is either stupid and non researched or just looking for a headline.

Moving on to Hipwood he actually tries hard but again has skill deficiencies.

He generated enough opportunities for himself to have a fair enough game but just didn't finish it off.

Nonetheless he's the best we have at present for his position ,which is a hard one to play, but he's a frustrating player to watch.

Is he ever going to get much better ? It's possible.
Hippy gives it his all. lacking confidence in his kicking for some reason. Appears to get to close the player on the mark in my eyes.

The worst thing about these footy shows is that they take a selective clip and drive a narrative that that's indicative of the whole game.

Then King says it all falls back on one player who just wants to be a hero and do his own thing or something like that. Well that was definitely not indicative of the whole game. In fact that was a misleading and dare I say nasty thing to say. Every chance to dig the boots into Joe they go for it.

As for the Jaspa thing King goes we could have generated 8 stoppages and just kept falling on the ball. Like Collingwood . With the ball 20 metres out and Oscar rucking ? We don't get the license to fall on the ball like Collingwood does.

Yep someone will pick it up and run with it, next we will have a narrative, selfish team, not a cohesive unit, someone will link it to the Vegas thing probably, oh its because of that, then run a story that Charlie Cameron wants to leave or something, whole thing is a joke.

Ref your comment re "eyes". I'm no optometrist [a family member is] I've had the opinion for some time now that Rayner may well have an eyesight problem. He so regularly fumbles even simple receives that it's a logical conclusion.
if I recall correctly Lynchy had a problem with his eyes that they sorted and his improvement was very noticeable. I see him now wearing glasses.

McKenna’s multiple brain fades, surprising lack of skill and, at times, minimal defensive efforts were striking in a team that really had a crack and looked reasonably skilled (despite a number of newbies).
It looks to me like Conor is nowhere near fit enough and the brainfades are fatiguefades.

From my perspective.

Neale payne and Andrews your 3 best players.

This is credit to Adelaide for pulling it off, but none of our mids had standout games. Adelaide mids holding at every contest running the gauntlet that the umps wouldn’t pay anything, which they largely didn’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kingy goes whack on Joe. Hard to be to critical of the opinion, Joe has been burning teammates his whole career. Again that's just who he is.

David King is doing this because he is still upset that Fages directly called him out last year or the year before re his ridiculous opinions of Joe.

David King is genuinely a ******* that plays dress up as a serious football analyst. He isn’t particularly bright.

Joe has been excellent. King had one clip which he could produce to try and demonstrate his point. And all that clip shows is Joe kicking over the back of the Adelaide defence. Based on how Joe kicks I’m not even sure whether Joe was going for goal or kicking over Adelaide’s defence to Charlie and the ball was just a bit heavy. But if he kicks it more shallow all the Adelaide defenders are there.

Please lions fans don’t get baited by David King ffs.

You just had to post the bolded bit and we'd have agreed and moved on.

Apologies if it’s been mentioned already, but I couldn’t get online too often yesterday.

How many of their goals came from poorly executed kicks from us. I remember McCluggage, Payne and Zorko all turning the ball over by foot, that led to them scoring.

Did McKenna give one away as well?

Also, and I know it’s been mentioned many times, but having Brain as the sun was crap, and I’m sure Fagan has said in the past that he won’t debut a player as the sub.

The annoying thing about David King is he'll be like a dog with a bone now and would go out of his way to validate this point in future games where Daniher has a stinker. The only way he'll shut up is when Daniher plays a blinder setting others up as well as getting few goals himself.

Apologies if it’s been mentioned already, but I couldn’t get online too often yesterday.

How many of their goals came from poorly executed kicks from us. I remember McCluggage, Payne and Zorko all turning the ball over by foot, that led to them scoring.

Also, and I know it’s been mentioned many times, but having Brain as the sun was crap, and I’m sure Fagan has said in the past that he won’t debut a player as the sub.

I didn't see McKenna run back with the same vigor like Wilmot or Lester did. He was putting in the effort but it looked like the legs wouldn't move with the zip we've seen before. I'd say he's carrying something still and needs rest or time in 2s to get his body right.

Kingy is an idiot.
This is the thing, I wanted to post straight after the game that our leaders let us down (not including Andrews), but couldn’t post yesterday afternoon, and by the time I could, figured I’d give it a day and read here first.

Then listened to First Crack this morning and was like, “crap I can’t post my comment”.

This is the thing, I wanted to post straight after the game that our leaders let us down (not including Andrews), but couldn’t post yesterday afternoon, and by the time I could, figured I’d give it a day and read here first.

Then listened to First Crack this morning and was like, “crap I can’t post my comment”.

yeah we are in a bit of transition phase now, playing list wise as well as game plan wise. It might look like we're trying unnatural things, burning team mates etc but there is a lot going on behind scenes to bed down whatever we are trying at present. Not to mention everyone played 90% game time last week covering 2 short on the bench.

Like others said, one small clip to set a narrative is such a bad way to highlight an issue. Sometimes King goes on this 9 winners 9 losers tangent which just does my head in.

David King is doing this because he is still upset that Fages directly called him out last year or the year before re his ridiculous opinions of Joe.

David King is genuinely a ******* that plays dress up as a serious football analyst. He isn’t particularly bright.

Joe has been excellent. King had one clip which he could produce to try and demonstrate his point. And all that clip shows is Joe kicking over the back of the Adelaide defence. Based on how Joe kicks I’m not even sure whether Joe was going for goal or kicking over Adelaide’s defence to Charlie and the ball was just a bit heavy. But if he kicks it more shallow all the Adelaide defenders are there.

Please lions fans don’t get baited by David King ffs.

I 100% think Joe's kick was trying to pass to Charlie - he just overcooked it. Pretty sure Joe kicked another one to charlie out the back later in the game that charlie just dropped too?

Fairer to criticise Charlie for not handballing to Joe, but I will say Joe was on the wrong side and would have had to run in board to snap on the left. If Rayner holds onto what should be a simple mark, no one second guesses it.

Fages first instinct is to be defensive.

That's a combination of experience and inclination.

I 100% think Joe's kick was trying to pass to Charlie - he just overcooked it. Pretty sure Joe kicked another one to charlie out the back later in the game that charlie just dropped too?

Fairer to criticise Charlie for not handballing to Joe, but I will say Joe was on the wrong side and would have had to run in board to snap on the left. If Rayner holds onto what should be a simple mark, no one second guesses it.

Normally a joe kick for goal on the run like that has the same ball flight every time. This was a much flatter ball akin to how he passes, so I agree.

Want to give this even more emphasis.

We neither get the run with the umps the Pies get in the last 2 mins nor have the players smart enough to disguise killing the ball by diving on it for 90 seconds.

Back