Review Round 9, 2024 - Adelaide vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Want to give this even more emphasis.

We neither get the run with the umps the Pies get in the last 2 mins nor have the players smart enough to disguise killing the ball by diving on it for 90 seconds.
When they get the ball or try to take possession in the stoppage they're able to execute the technique of crashing in to an opposition player as if there was nowhere else to go or rolling on to the ground in front of an opposition player but not over the ball. On to their side or back.

The way everyone's started talking about it the game might be up sometime this year , but not yet. We just don't have the players who could execute that without looking guilty.

When they get the ball or try to take possession in the stoppage they're able to execute the technique of crashing in to an opposition player as if there was nowhere else to go or rolling on to the ground in front of an opposition player but not over the ball. On to their side or back.

The way everyone's started talking about it the game might be up sometime this year , but not yet. We just don't have the players who could execute that without looking guilty.

Best one is when two pies players fight for the ball with each other and wrap each other up - so no holding the ball technically as neither have possession.

And bring in ?
Fort can actually be bothered to get to a ruck contest and will actually pass the ball to an open Charlie Cameron in the goal square instead of blazing away from 50 like a hero. So Fort to play Danihers roll.

Brain for Rayner.......Brain will actually tackle.

Hippy, take your pick, Smith.......Ryan......Lane.....Payne with Joyce replacing him in the backline.

We should ban from this board, "considering the players we have out injured".

If for the rest of the year that is all we hear after each game it will get real boring. It is what it is, other players have opportunities, the magnets can be moved around for positional changes and using the injuries every time is a cheap cop out. As it is said, squads win premierships not teams so lets move on and talk about the players we do have on the field and how they go/went
x2 plus the umpires have it in for us crap. It's so juvenile

Fox targeting Daniher for a big clip seems odd to me. They’ve said he goes missing in the big moments but was one of our better players in the GF. That first quarter highlight, Charlie running back to goal with a player a couple of metres behind, would have taken a 10/10 kick to hit him.
Adelaide went into the game as favourites, had a full strength team and a few extra days break. I’d say they were the ones who would be expecting to win more than us. At the time when there was a stoppage outside 50 near the end the commentators said something like “Daniher can grab it out of the ruck and win it here”, they want it both ways almost.
Also criticising Fletcher for trying to clear the ball from a defensive stoppage when we’re up by 1 with 90 seconds left. Lol
Watch the good teams in close games; trust me, they aren’t doing what Jaspa did just like they aren’t doing what Luke Jackson did and just knocking it out clear so the opposition gets a clear kick. Good teams are bottling it up. Shite, even Hawthorn did held it in tight late against. I seriously hope our coaches are more critical than most here with the passes and excuses many continually trot out when we lose close games.

Watch the good teams in close games; trust me, they aren’t doing what Jaspa did just like they aren’t doing what Luke Jackson did and just knocking it out clear so the opposition gets a clear kick. Good teams are bottling it up. Shite, even Hawthorn did held it in tight late against. I seriously hope our coaches are more critical than most here with the passes and excuses many continually trot out when we lose close games.
I'd be happy to bottle it up for 90 seconds if I had the confidence that our guys wouldn't get pinged. Or that Oscar wouldn't hit it to the wrong spot or try to take possession because he'd be odds on to get pinged.

But not 20m out from the opposition goal. We aren't trained to do it. Something for the off season if that strategy is still in vogue.

I'd be happy to bottle it up for 90 seconds if I had the confidence that our guys wouldn't get pinged. Or that Oscar wouldn't hit it to the wrong spot or try to take possession because he'd be odds on to get pinged.

But not 20m out from the opposition goal. We aren't trained to do it. Something for the off season if that strategy is still in vogue.
If that’s the case, we have a lot of flaws in our coaching that this isn’t trained for like clearly the likes of Collingwood and Carlton are successful at unless people think it’s flukey that they more often than not wind up on the right side of the ledger. Or perhaps players aren’t following coaches instructions? IDK but I think it’s a cop out to just say we’d get done for HTB if we tried it. Defeatist no?

It's strange he hasn't been given many opportunities since. The last two weeks it has been Berry, and I think that's because of team balance as much as anything. It leaves him in that awkward spot at half forward that he has never really mastered. I'm not sure where it leaves him as a long-term option in our team tbh. Maybe he comes back into the middle if/when Reville and Sharpe return to the VFL and Berry returns to the wing?

Given the Ah Chee treatment of being thrown around wherever he’s needed. Ah Chee was down this year from being thrown around from his preferred forward position. Rayner has had a multitude of roles this year. Still kicked two behinds so had the chance to make an impact but just didn’t.

If that’s the case, we have a lot of flaws in our coaching that this isn’t trained for like clearly the likes of Collingwood and Carlton are successful at unless people think it’s flukey that they more often than not wind up on the right side of the ledger. Or perhaps players aren’t following coaches instructions? IDK but I think it’s a cop out to just say we’d get done for HTB if we tried it. Defeatist no?
Well no. It's just my opinion that we had more hope doing what Jaspa did than by trying to bottle it up given the factors that I've outlined. And 20m from goal is another layer.

But yeah sure , not against trying it out if we think we can do it for 90 seconds. As you say others seem able to. Who knows.

Given the Ah Chee treatment of being thrown around wherever he’s needed. Ah Chee was down this year from being thrown around from his preferred forward position. Rayner has had a multitude of roles this year. Still kicked two behinds so had the chance to make an impact but just didn’t.
Cal is reliable when he gets in position to mark.

Cam is not.

Geez - I thought Hugh was clearly our best - different views
The reason I didn't have Hugh in there is he took too many dumb risks. I suppose you can argue Payne did too, but I expect Payne to have worse disposal, and he took a huge number of intercept marks too.

The way I see it, part of the reason we failed to win was because we lost the clearance battle and that wasn't the fault of Berry (who won many of them) or Dunkley (because that's not his role in my view, he's a defensive midfielder). So I put that on Lachie and Hugh not having the best games. But I'm sure they'll be better next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reason I didn't have Hugh in there is he took too many dumb risks. I suppose you can argue Payne did too, but I expect Payne to have worse disposal, and he took a huge number of intercept marks too.

The way I see it, part of the reason we failed to win was because we lost the clearance battle and that wasn't the fault of Berry (who won many of them) or Dunkley (because that's not his role in my view, he's a defensive midfielder). So I put that on Lachie and Hugh not having the best games. But I'm sure they'll be better next week.
I liked Jacks game and am a massive advocate for him but was pretty disappointed with his weak effort late against Walker which enabled him to put it on the boot and get it to Rankin to goal late in the goal square. Other than that, Jack is tracking really well for mine.

I agree that seeing out close games is definitely not a strength of ours but I think last night is just a very odd example to choose to make that point.

Want to give this even more emphasis.

We neither get the run with the umps the Pies get in the last 2 mins nor have the players smart enough to disguise killing the ball by diving on it for 90 seconds.
100000%
The Pies never get pinged for hatching the ball in the final 2 mins of games
Umps get too scared end of games to blow the whistle in pies games as well

Pendle's kicks the ball 50m to the boundary line the other week.. Throw in

We just do not have their way with umps.. No other team bar Dogs do

100000%
The Pies never get pinged for hatching the ball in the final 2 mins of games
Umps get too scared end of games to blow the whistle in pies games as well

Pendle's kicks the ball 50m to the boundary line the other week.. Throw in

We just do not have their way with umps.. No other team bar Dogs do

Worth adding too - this is not a criticism of collingwood or a claim that there is a conspiracy.

They took advantage of the fact that umpires (barring Razor Ray) genuinely don't want to be the ones to decide games. It is smart coaching and tactics, and they are by far the best at it.

Similarly they are the best at chasing down a lead because they do the opposite - their gigantic rucks hit the ball way to the outside on they move with speed through stoppage.

I agree that seeing out close games is definitely not a strength of ours but I think last night is just a very odd example to choose to make that point.
I could have used multiple games including Carlton in round one; last night was just the most recent so hardly odd as you say.

King suggesting Charlie didn’t pass to Joe because he supposedly didn’t do the reverse earlier is just so ridiculous
Joe is probably the most one sided player in the comp - I seriously am shocked at how many players dont realise he is going to turn onto his left side every single time. If there is another option on the field I would never handball to Joe on the right side in that position. Centring the ball was the right call.

Similarly that was clearly an attempted pass over the top to Charlie. Charlie is always stroppy if he doesnt get the ball, doesnt matter if it was a perfect pass or not Charlie will make faces at his own efforts as much as anything.

I dont mind some things from King especially around concussions and the MRO. But this is a clear case of him having a story he wanted to tell and went looking for video without actually thinking about who the players are and how they play.

Last edited:
McKenna’s multiple brain fades, surprising lack of skill and, at times, minimal defensive efforts were striking in a team that really had a crack and looked reasonably skilled (despite a number of newbies).

Mckenna seems to do everything he can to not get tackled.

Coming back from injury is tough.

Back