Autopsy Round 9, 2024 : Hawks slap the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Credit to Impey for having another quality game. He's back to his best pre-injury form.

Also, despite that shocking miss Ginnivan had a good game, he was still our 5th highest possession getter for the day. He is working hard up the ground and still having an impact even if he's not kicking multiple goals a game.

Yep, I knew he had talent but I wasn’t necessarily convinced he would bring the right attitude and commitment. I was wrong to be doubtful - I think he is a great competitor and works hard for us even if he not getting shots on goal. I’m pleased he’s a hawk.

No chance. Brownlow always goes to a mid-fielder or forward. Defenders need a lot more love for the work they do. Meek has gone to next level this year, Reeves has to do the same (which he has been doing until he go his hand injury).
Reeves can’t learn what Meek does! Unless it’s a rotating 5 interchange in the future, I don’t see how Reeves adds anything of value besides some center square hit outs.

Hardwick is criminally underrated.
Mr dependable.
Settles us down back when required.
He's the reason we didn't conceded any late goals in the 3rd and 4th quarters. If you rewatch the last two minutes of each you'll see how many St Kilda attacks he interrupts and repels

Just watching the scenes in the coaches box at the final siren , can someone confirm was that Danny Jacobs sitting in with our coaching panel today ????

In a game we could have easily lost, the endeavour, attitude and the belief was incredibly high and helped get us over the line.

That last quarter with our backs against the wall, there were 5 pivotal moments that stood out.
Mass’ tackle on the wing on Tim Membrey was huge! When he came across the word was that he didn’t like the hard stuff but he launched to make his tackle count.
Nash’s spoil which led to Croc having a check side shot - Nash busted a gut to get their and impact the contest and almost led to the game sealer.
Frost’s contest against King - used his body to make sure King couldn’t take the grab cleanly and made sure not to impede him illegally - massive effort.
Scrimma’s tackle in the back pocket when he was surrounded by Saints players
Jai Serong’s knock down of the handball with a few minutes to go.

All these little moments were pivotal in helping us get the win and will continue to build belief and confidence as our young group develops before our own eyes.

Our lower possession numbers may be something Sam wants. Less mucking around with the ball means less chance of opposition tackling and stifling ball movement so close to the initial contest which means we're on the back foot once it's turned over! Just like tigers and pies , get the ball moving along and take more ground which takes less possessions to do. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but the last couple of weeks we've changed tack a bit.
Anyway, great effort, now if only our poor kicking for goal could be improved, too many wasted opportunities in basically every game this season. Ginni, Watson, Gunston have had poor seasons in front of the sticks so far this year. But, it won't continue like this , it will turn

Also, Meek and Frost, take a bow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

really good effort from an undermanned side.
Amon must surely be leading the B and F at this stage of the year, Scrimshaw not far behind.
Need Lewis or Chol back ASAP, poor young Calsher getting absolutely cooked up there. Amazing job from the 18yo.
Side going far better than I thought. Looking at it now, our five losses are to the top four sides as of now, and last years premiers who are on a roll. Realistic chance of getting more than last years 7 wins, which would be absolutely fantastic.
Hopefully, Josh Battle like what he saw, he's our missing piece of the puzzle.
Loved the work of both Serong and Mitchell, those two just need another 40 games. One may miss next week, if Sicily can get up.
Thought Mackenzie, Watson and Ginnivan had their best games for us, wow, Ginnivan is seriously hard at it, and all three really put the pressure on all day.

Enjoyed that sometimes you need to win ugly and good to see we closed it out professionally it’s signs of real growth.
I didn’t rate Amons game anywhere near that highly despite a high stat count. One sublime kick but otherwise a lot of cheap uncontested ball. Much more impressed with Newk and Nash today back to 2023 form. I need to rewatch and focus on worpel his possessions have dried right up but I felt he played a defensive role maybe with Day back his role has changed to stop the easy out the front clearances that were killing us.
Thought impey and scrimshaw backed up again with good games. Mackenzie was best I’ve seen him today really building nicely. Day working into the season is also excellent news. Meek battled manfully and I thought either drew or slightly shaded Marshall despite the bullshit stats and fantasy scoring which shows what that is worth. Moore Watson Ginnivan Hardwick Frost (despite absolutely awful turnover) good also.
Dear goes back as soon as any KP is ready which is fine he’s had a taste. Gunston struggled expect managed next week. Massimo has to critically review his disposal for someone I consider elite he is making some poor decisions and turning it over. Same with seamus made 2 howlers today.

Oh and due to some posts here I checked out the first 4 pages of the saints board.
Holy crap many won’t watch the rest of the year some even want them to fold. One guy even said they couldn’t even beat a team that is clearly tanking. Damo has taken to a st kilda burner account it seems! Yep we are doing a great job of tanking that had to be the stupidest take of 2024…

In a game we could have easily lost, the endeavour, attitude and the belief was incredibly high and helped get us over the line.

That last quarter with our backs against the wall, there were 5 pivotal moments that stood out.
Mass’ tackle on the wing on Tim Membrey was huge! When he came across the word was that he didn’t like the hard stuff but he launched to make his tackle count.
Nash’s spoil which led to Croc having a check side shot - Nash busted a gut to get their and impact the contest and almost led to the game sealer.
Frost’s contest against King - used his body to make sure King couldn’t take the grab cleanly and made sure not to impede him illegally - massive effort.
Scrimma’s tackle in the back pocket when he was surrounded by Saints players
Jai Serong’s knock down of the handball with a few minutes to go.

All these little moments were pivotal in helping us get the win and will continue to build belief and confidence as our young group develops before our own eyes.
D Moore at the feet of Meek and squashing every stoppage late.
Massive leadership from Moorey.
His work rate today was out of this world.
Especially given his illness interrupted pre season. It can’t be underestimated how energy zapping that must have been.

He was outstanding.

Oh and due to some posts here I checked out the first 4 pages of the saints board.
Holy crap many won’t watch the rest of the year some even want them to fold. One guy even said they couldn’t even beat a team that is clearly tanking. Damo has taken to a st kilda burner account it seems! Yep we are doing a great job of tanking that had to be the stupidest take of 2024…

Honestly just feel sorry for them. Their fans have been through the absolute ringer. They’re in a tough spot too.. Tassie coming in and they’re looking at a potential rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back