Autopsy Round 8, 2024 : Hawks leash the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

On Libbers concussion, if you haven’t seen it, dig up the documentary of Mario Fennech the old nrl player. Very sad what repeated concussion can do to an athlete.
If you ask a fighter if they are ok to continue they always say yes.
Sometimes people need to intervene to save a competitive athlete from themselves. I hope he’s ok.

We look so much better at Marvel (2-0) compared to the G this season (0-4)! We should have beaten the Pies in Adelaide but our form at the home of footy has been for the most part, bloody horrible! Playing fast, counter attack footy (particularly from opposition turnovers) seems to work far better at Marvel.

Reiwoldt mentioned during the game that Marvel seems to suit us more than the G does.

Not sure if these have already been posted, but here are the coaches votes

Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn​

9 - Jarman Impey

9 - Marcus Bontempelli

5 - Dylan Moore

3 - James Sicily

2 - Blake Hardwick

2 - Conor Nash

Impey, just awesome. Moore: effort personified with the finish to go with it, Sicily: dislocates his shoulder and rolls his ankle in the 3rd and yet is still one of the most influential players in the game … downright astonishing, Hardwick: so adaptable, Nash: plays his role to a tee… Meek unlucky. McDonald, Scrimma annd Weds… not far off the votes.

And for mine, the Bont is the most impactful player in the comp… so fair enough.

Last edited:
The caller’s name is Matt Hill. Just superb.
I picked up one mistake, he called Sicily "Jake". Says "Tumbles the ball" a few too many times

Other than that, great puns and jokes - He's way better than other "twlight" callers..

I hope he wasnt filling in for a sick nasally sounding lady.. who misnames most players and calls teams the "orange team"

Not sure if these have already been posted, but here are the coaches votes

Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn​

9 - Jarman Impey

9 - Marcus Bontempelli

5 - Dylan Moore

3 - James Sicily

2 - Blake Hardwick

2 - Conor Nash

Impey, just awesome. Moore: effort personified with the finish to go with it, Sicily: dislocates his shoulder and rolls his ankle in the 3rd and yet is still one of the most influential players in the game … downright astonishing, Hardwick: so adaptable, Nash: plays his role to a tee… Meek unlucky. McDonald, Scrimma annd Weds… not far off the votes.

And for mine, the Bont is the most impactful player in the comp… so fair enough.
Scrim very stiff

Followed the game along on here all the way from a beautiful park in Vienna

Very happy to hear we played very well and stoked that Calsher had a great debut. The picture of him grabbing his jumper after his first goal is awesome

Also glad to hear positive mentions of Matty Hills commentary. He is the best race caller in the country and one of the best in the world. Absolute class

If CMac had a little of Dylan Moore he would be a ripper.

True, He needs more mongrel in him. Its all well and good to be on the receiving end and kicking some snags, but he needs to be able to bring that pressure and grunt work each week. He should know this so hopefully we start seeing it on a more consistent basis.

I haven't seen the replay but it didnt look great at the game. Not one bit... Though given i havent heard anything about i assume it was 100% unavoidable contact
Should have been today if anything was to come of it. Seems nothing has come of it. Which is good to see.

Must have been enough movement from the ump, the ump was moving so that must have been the mitigating factor.

I’ve seen a bit from the media about Sicily yelling at Watson for the mistake, when as captain he should have encouraged him and telling him to don’t worry about it we’ll get the next one not smash the kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing how we held up in the last few minutes when red time goals against have seemed to be our specialty! Need to have that mindset in the last few minutes of every quarter.
A few other things I noticed were our handballs (mostly) hitting targets - not at the feet. Was this because we weren’t under as much pressure?
Also often in the centre clearances we’d have a mid get first hands to the ball but the dogs would knock it out and off they go. Should improve with a bit more experience and polish hopefully.

On Libbers concussion, if you haven’t seen it, dig up the documentary of Mario Fennech the old nrl player. Very sad what repeated concussion can do to an athlete.
If you ask a fighter if they are ok to continue they always say yes.
Sometimes people need to intervene to save a competitive athlete from themselves. I hope he’s ok.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Finn start in the centre for clearances and then go forward. He is a big body and the only way we were going to lose that game was in the middle after a goal was scored. He is turning into a beast and doing great up forward. Worth a try sometimes
Finn is an enigma. He is the best and the worst.

I saw him be awesome in a game at VFL level.

He is the best shutdown player in the comp. Everyone knows that. Sam is trying to turn him into an offensive threat as well… and 🤘🏻 Finn is improving.

I could teach Finn how to kick well in 5 seconds. Put the ball accurately on your foot like G.Ablett jnr… Job done…

I’ve seen a bit from the media about Sicily yelling at Watson for the mistake, when as captain he should have encouraged him and telling him to don’t worry about it we’ll get the next one not smash the kid.

He got angry then instantly composed himself.
It's a non-story

After the game he even said getting angry wasn't the right thing to do

Sunday was a little like the best of Sic and the worst of Sic. He showed his grit by weathering the pain and distraction of the separated shoulder and the ankle, going forward and kicking what he kicked.

Unfortunately, he also carried on like Captain Porkchop with the Watson miss. It’s very human. There are stages in a game when we don’t need a human, we need a captain. That was probably one of them. That being said, and judging by his tackle a few moments later, Watson seemed to take it in good spirit.

The last few minutes was another highlight. Super composed and everyone didn’t the right thing. Amon absorbing the tackle and forcing a stoppage instead of blazing away was awesome
And while on Amon, that first contest with Libba was brutal. He went low and hard, set the tone. Kudos to a player often pigeonholed as being effective at the “outside” stuff only.

Riewoldt commented that the smaller dimensions at Marvel would suit a younger team like Hawthorn as there’s less space to defend. I think he related it back to fitness levels. Thoughts? I’ve always believed the G would help us, more room for lighter, nimble types to run and manoeuvre. Having said that we’re not a super quick team especially without CJ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 8, 2024 : Hawks leash the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back