Senior Rowan Marshall

Remove this Banner Ad

Great work by the club to pick him up as a rookie , develop him and then re sign him when other clubs were calling his manager. Credit where credits due .

Well how things were going Marshall was being wasted in the VFL and was NOT being groomed as a ruckman at that level, but rather as a tall forward or backman.

Only after:
  • The club traded Hickey, as they were desperate for Hanners,
  • Lycett chose PA over St Kilda
  • Longer and Pierce both fell over with injury
  • and as Ali the Giant was clearly way, way off the pace

did the club think well we better play Marshall as the ruck in the firsts as they had no one else, did they to their great surprise suddenly find that the ruckman that they had been dreaming about, and trading for years, had suddenly arrived.

More arse than class, than "great work".

Last edited:

Emerging star Rowan Marshall has been voted the Dare Iced Coffee Sainter of the Round for the second time in a break-out season.
Marshall was trailed by fellow young guns Hunter Clark and Nicholas Hind, but the Portland product took top honours by an astonishing margin.
The influential big man blitzed the Round 15 competition in one of the biggest landslides of the season to date, polling nearly 70% of the votes in the fans’ award.
On a day when we witnessed the emergence of several of the next generation of Saints, Marshall stood tallest.
100309-Member-940x75.jpg

33 hit-outs, nine contested possessions and a goal paint the picture, but as is his forte, Marshall’s impact around the ground left the biggest dent.
Nine marks to his name are reflective of the young ruckman’s dominance as a tall target, with his superior athleticism consistently coming to the fore.

Marshall's rapid rise continues
saints.com.au
Jul 15, 2019 5:05PM

Rowan Marshall has taken out the Round 17 Dare Iced Coffee Sainter of the Round. - St Kilda Saints,Rowan Marshall,Hunter Clark,Luke Dunstan

Rowan Marshall has taken out the Round 17 Dare Iced Coffee Sainter of the Round.
Related
Rowan Marshall’s rapid rise from rookie to star Saint has taken another step, after the big man collected his fourth Dare Iced Coffee Sainter of the Round for Season 2019.
‘The Prospect’ is well and truly delivering on his nickname, enjoying a purple patch of form that has caught the eye of the competition.
At 201cm, 104kg and just 23 years of age, Marshall’s physical traits alone are enough to intimidate any opponent.
100309-Member-940x75.jpg

But it’s his damage around the ground that provides the biggest threat, his latest display highlighted by 31 hit-outs, 14 contested possessions, six clearances and a goal.
If his 2019 form is anything to go by, the only way for Marshall is up.

Another impressive performance on Saturday night has seen Rowan Marshall take out the Round 20 Dare Iced Coffee Sainter of the Round.

The breakout ruckman polled strongly in the fan-voted award to draw one point ahead of Jack Billings on the Sainter of the Round leaderboard.

Prior to Marshall’s three-vote performance, Billings had held top-spot since Round 3.

The Portland product notched up 20 disposals, 32 hit-outs and six clearances in his maiden outing at Adelaide Oval to carry on his outstanding form of Season 2019.

Marshall’s ascendancy in the air and versatility at ground level has seen “Prospect” comprise the club’s top-three for clearances (92) and contested marks (19).

In some better news, Rowan Marshall is 100% fit after a knee scare in the first term against the Dockers.

The big man's leg was wedged and he looked to suffer a hyperextension, but thankfully Marshall hasn't sustained any lingering damage.

Rowan was one of the standout players of the year for all teams in my view . Considering he had only played a couple of games before this year , he was thrown into the ruck when both Pierce and Longer got season ending injuries very early . He was one of the , if not the , best young ruckman in the league . Even when he was beaten by the top ruckmen he still picked up plenty of disposals around the ground and took important marks against bigger named ruckmen . Should poll very well in the Trevor Barker award and might actually win it . Going from a forward who rucked a bit to a full time high class ruckman so quickly is showed by the fact the Saints are looking to draft or trade a backup ruckman in case Marshall gets injured at some stage . A great bit of recruiting by the Saints recruiting team .

Rowan Marshall was always a fan favourite.
Now, it’s official.
After a superb season in the red, white and black, 'The Prospect' was given the fans’ tick of approval to take home the inaugural Dare Iced Coffee Sainter of the Year.

The award was presented at Wednesday night's Trevor Barker Award by long-time supporter and competition winner, Shirley Hurley, who was randomly selected after voting for Sainter of the Round throughout the season.
After each round in 2019, the St Kilda faithful were invited to have their say as to who was best afield for the red, white and black.
At the conclusion of the season, all votes were tallied and deemed Marshall as the narrow winner.
The Portland product stormed home to finish atop the pile, edging out teammate Jack Billings by a single vote.

190913-marshallsoty.jpeg

Incredibly, the third-year Saint polled best-on-ground honours in a club-high five games.
Marshall had a monster season with his mobility, athleticism and contest at ground-level seeing him feature prominently at this year's best-and-fairest.
The No. 19 finished runner-up in the Trevor Barker Award with 152 votes, while also taking out the Lenny Hayes Players’ Player Award and the Best Emerging Player Award.
And if 2019 is a sign of things to come, Marshall is going to need a bigger trophy cabinet.

Rowan Marshall
Career
Games: 33
Goals:
Games: 20
Goals:

689504_gl.jpg

From a rookie-listed Saint to one of the club’s most exciting players, Rowan Marshall’s 2019 was certainly one to remember.
After breaking into the side in Round 2, ‘The Prospect’ impressed the AFL community in just his third season of senior football.
The breakout ruckman was nothing short of superb, averaging 29 hitouts, 18 disposals and six clearances per game and showing his skill both in the air and at ground level.
Marshall topped the Saints for contested possessions, centre clearances and hitouts, while finishing in second place at this year’s Trevor Barker Award.
There’s a lot of hype surrounding ‘The Prospect’, but he’s certainly lived up to it.
And there’s no doubt he’s poised for even greater things.
BEST GAME:
Marshall starred against the Roos at Blundstone Arena, leaving Tasmania with 31 hitouts, 21 disposals, eight clearances and a goal to his name.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you have time and like a laugh, it's worth while going back to the start of this thread and see how our various opinions have changed in the short three years Roma has been on the list and progressed from rookie list to 2nd in the B&F.

If you have time and like a laugh, it's worth while going back to the start of this thread and see how our various opinions have changed in the short three years Roma has been on the list and progressed from rookie list to 2nd in the B&F.

I had time, it was a good read of where he’s come from.

Great work ROMA, I hope it continues

Kid will make it!! for a big guy looks a natural footballer with his kicking/marking and decision making in that video clip.

Give him a year or 2 to develop his strength and we could have a seriously good versatile player on our hands.

Longer needs to pull his finger out and actually mark/learn how to play forward or it's off to the trade table. Lewis Pierce needs to stack on some weight and get stronger in the contest. not sure why Holmes has been kept but I can't seem him being retained beyond this year.
Don't want to pump my own tyres... but all the way back from a video clip.

Sometimes you can just spot a natural player.

Ryder's arrival a blessing for emerging Saints ruckman

Rowan Marshall produced a breakout season in 2019 to finish second in the Saints' best and fairest - AFL,Rowan Marshall,St Kilda Saints,Game,Update,News,Paddy Ryder

Rowan Marshall produced a breakout season in 2019 to finish second in the Saints' best and fairest
Related
  • ROWAN Marshall is ready to go back to ruck school with the arrival of All Australian Paddy Ryder at St Kilda.
    Marshall enjoyed a standout season, finishing second in the club best and fairest, and the Saints were keen to bring in another established ruckman to lighten the load on the 23-year-old emerging star.
    Ryder, who was the All Australian ruckman two years ago, was the perfect candidate and the Saints recruited him from Port Adelaide.

The ruck-forward is among five players to join the Saints in a busy trade period.
    Marshall is also keen to learn as much as possible from Ryder and plug the gaps in his game.
    "I'm stoked, over the moon. He was obviously an All Australian ruckman a couple of years ago and I'm pretty new to the ruck craft," Marshall said.

"I'm really looking forward to learning from him and I think we can be a pretty good duo.
    "He's a really superb tap ruckman (and) that's probably one weakness in my game I need to work on.
    "At times against bigger ruckman I was found out a little bit in the ruck craft, but with Paddy here I will be able to improve on that and it can become one of my strengths."

View image on Twitter

Marshall said he was recruited originally as a forward and he is happy to go into attack when needed as he shares the ruck work with Ryder.
    The Saints started pre-season this week and Marshall said their busy trade period had generated plenty of excitement at the club.
    As well as Ryder and Port teammate Dougal Howard, the Saints also brought in Fremantle onballer Brad Hill, Sydney midfielder Zak Jones and Richmond forward Dan Butler.

"We've brought in five really good players who should play senior footy every week," Marshall said.
    "I'm really excited for next year."
    The Saints had a shocking run this year with injuries and other setbacks.
    Paddy McCartin will sit out next season as he tries to overcome his ongoing concussion problems, but Dylan Roberton is ready to officially start pre-season as he returns from recurring heart issues.

"Hopefully he (McCartin) has a year out, sorts it out and can come back," Marshall said.
    "(Roberton) has been doing all the running and gym stuff. He should be right to go at the start of pre-season."

Rowan Marshall (RUC, $736,000) was outstanding last season when he grabbed his opportunity to take the mantle as the No.1 ruck for St Kilda. As the highest-averaging Saint of 2019, Marshall was ranked as the fourth-best ruckman in the competition. The addition of Paddy Ryder may affect his numbers if he is to share the ruck role and spend more time in the forward line. While Marshall will remain as the main man at stoppages, he rarely shared duties last year which helped him improve his year-on-year average by almost 30 points per game.

*Wallace names the two ruckman that will take a “quantum leap” in 2020
Plough thinks these two big men are set to make big strides in 2020.*

AFL Hall of Famer Terry Wallace has named St Kilda’s Rowan Marshall and Adelaide’s Reilly O’Brien as the two ruckman set to take a “quantum leap” in 2020.

Marshall enjoyed a breakout year for the Saints to establish himself as the club’s no. 1 big man and arguably their most promising youngster, averaging 17.8 disposals and 28.4 hitouts per contest.

O’Brien emerged for the Crows to take over their first-choice ruckman mantle after Sam Jacobs was struck down by injury early in the season, averaging 15.3 disposals and 33.3 hitouts.

“I went for the two improvers from this year to keep on improving,” Wallace told SEN Drive last week.

“That was Reilly O’Brien in Adelaide and Rowan Marshall for St Kilda.

“Marshall is the one that really fascinates me in that Paddy Ryder comes into the mix.

“Does that help Marshall, does that hinder Rowan Marshall. I’m sure it will help his ruck work and the way that he goes about his trade because having Ryder, who is such a good ruckman and has been brilliant at the ruck trade over the years, is only going to assist him to get better.

“Ryder is going to take ruck time off him and does that freshen Marshall up to be better when he goes into the ruck, can he make it as a forward as well, it’ll be interesting to see how that plays out.

“There’s some (ruckmen) that need to be the main man.”

Wallace left the Western Bulldogs’ Tim English out of the discussion, believing he needs another year of development.

“I still think he might be another season or two away,” he said.

“I’m saying quantum leap. I don’t know whether it will come this year or whether it is still another 12 months away.

“He has got all the potential in the world.”

Adjustments.JPG

Sharing duties with Paddy Ryder in Marsh Game 2, the two St Kilda ruckmen were able to match and almost completely nullify Brody Grundy’s impact in the game. Both Marshall and Ryder were unlucky not to score goals, with Ryder hitting the post after a nice leading chest mark, and Marshall marking in the goal square only to handball it to Butler for his second.

Expect both Marshall and Ryder to play Round 1, to nullify North Melbourne’s Todd Goldstein.

1595846964171.png

Combined with Rowan Marshall, the dual-ruck combination proved lethal for the red, white and black against the top-of-the-table Port Adelaide.

'The Prospect' fittingly rounded out this week’s voting after his 15 disposals (13 contested), seven clearances and two goals.

Marshall added to his impressive season with another 11 hit-outs (six to advantage) to bring his and Ryder’s combined Saturday night tally to 40 hit-outs, 25 disposals, eight clearances and four goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back