Rules that you play by?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have any golden rules that you stick as part of a game plan?
Mine is to never limp into a hand from an early position. I'll either bet aggressively or muck the hand. Of course if I'm playing against conservative players I might change it every now and then.

One superstition I have is to never play the 1st hand when I'm moved to a table unless I'm paired or have something like AK.

I try and fold most hands straight after a big win in a pot...Especially on the internet where you have to act to a time limit.

Don’t play A's or K's with weak kickers (unless suited or down to 3 or less people), I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen people bust out of low limit tournaments doing this. I like to limp in with A's K's with big kickers to trap these people, if an A or K comes on the flop I will out kick them every time and it is usually for most of their chips. This has been working extremely well for me lately.

I have a new one. Don't bet if you flop a set or two-pair in limit hold'em with a straight/flush draw on the table.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but my dear god, if I had a dollar for every damn time I was out-drawn by flush/straight draws last night, I wouldn't need to play poker. It's ridiculous. And then when I'd call with every single out imaginable, I wouldn't hit anything.

I mean, people were finding runners on the turn and river to crack me. Quite ridiculous. Some people should be shot for playing dumb poker. :mad:

Mine is to never limp into a hand from an early position

This should almost always be adhered to in full table play. Of course, it depends what you're limping with. For example, I would have reservations raising with T-T in an early position, so I may just call. Of course, I want to see a flop with it. However, I would not limp with a hand like K-Q or Q-10, as it easily gets mowed down by a raise. No point wasting your money on those hands from an unfavourable position. I would probably only raise with A-A, K-K, A-Ks or Q-Q from an early position, and even with Q-Q I would be wary.
A-Ko is a very overrated hand from an early position, and if I raised, would only raise small. A lot of people overplay A-Ko.

My number one rule of internet play is to never get involved in the first hand of a tournament, unless i have a monster (top 5) hand. The reason i do this is because of all the all in monkeys who just push all their chips in first hand looking for a quick double up, no matter what their hand is.

dougthelegend said:
My number one rule of internet play is to never get involved in the first hand of a tournament, unless i have a monster (top 5) hand. The reason i do this is because of all the all in monkeys who just push all their chips in first hand looking for a quick double up, no matter what their hand is.

There definitely are some jokers out there. I was at crown last week and had A-K on my first hand, man I wanted to muck it so bad but I couldnt. Had it raised before me, to 6 times the big blind (on the first hand) so I was thinking he must have something big as well. Flop comes blank blank blank (all suited which I didnt have), it goes check check to me so I take a stab and bet that 300 again (6 times) and then some guy moves all in on me, I had no real move there but to fold. Lost over 1/3 of my stack on the first hand, thats why I don't like playing hands early.

However I did come 4th, was doubled up two times when I was forced all in so I definitely had luck on my side after that first hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back