Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
Interesting letter which Im assuming is from a Rumbalara Football Club supporter in today's Shepparton News. Was just a matter of time before they played the big one . . . . . thoughts anybody?

Respect may come one day

October 7 2005
Shepparton News

I write in disgust that football leagues such as the Goulburn Valley Football League and Murray Football League are so ashamed of the Rumbalara Football Netball Club.
Why can't they be straight and say, "we don't want a black club in our league."

Let's be honest.

For instance, an angry league threatens to sever ties with the VCFL just because of its decision and claim it's an insult to be a stepping stone to go to the GVFL is ridiculous, but have open arms for Tongala that came from the "rock" (GVFL).

What are these leagues afraid of?

Rumbalara is a community team and very successful too, with visions of generations playing a game they love just like their clubs, and Rumbalara promotes healthy lifestyle to the community.

Rumbalara is only asking to be part of a game we all love, but apparently the Goulburn Valley and Murray leagues are too proud to be surrounded by Aborigines at a football match.

Keep trying Rumba, you might be respected one day because you already have competition.

Suzanne Atkinson (Mooroopna)

I don't agree with that letter at all. I'm not sure about the Murray League, but most people I've spoken to in the GV think that Rumba aren't ready yet for the GV. It's a pretty big step from the CG to GV in my opinion.

D/MoN said:
Being at the helm of a (most recent) CGFL premiership side, your thoughts on cosby's comment, Doona2?

I think I posted back in our final home and away round that Rumba ruffled a few feathers at Yea. Firstly they were going to refuse to sign our oval fit for play, because the rain had dampened the centre wicket area.

Correct me if Im wrong but most GV and MFL ovals have cricket on them so they'd wanna cancel games every 2nd week if we get a wet winter!!!

The state they left the changerooms were hardly that of a club trying to impress the majors, and our club sent photo's to the league as proof.

Not only that there was an incident where a Rumba official (goal umpire) clashed with a Yea player in the reserves clash, with punches traded, Im sure both the GVFL and MFL were impressed about that one.

I think the major leagues have every right to knock em back, they haven't been dominant in the CGFL - gone undefeated by 20 odd goals week in week out for 3-4 seasons no have they? Afterall they haven't been able to get the job when it counted in 2004 & 2005.

Whilst they have the current injection of Eddie's funds from Collingwood, they have to prove the can sustain their ability to be competitive both on and off field forever and a day once they go into a major league coz you cant just pack up and leave again if it dont work out.

I believe Mr. Briggs is a fantastic operator and the players seem a good bunch of fellas (although Thorpe did clean up Billy Neilson behind play). Maybe it is Yea that should be looking to move on!!! 5 grand finals in six years, premierships in '03 and '05, all whilst spending the bare minimum on player payments . . . . if anyone should be stepping up it appears we're getting too big for our boots!!!

Maybe if they had've got the home rooms grand final day like they squealed for, all would've been alright.

An interesting topic of discussion, do we have any MFL followers who'd care to comment?

GO TIGERS :p

Doona2 said:
I think I posted back in our final home and away round that Rumba ruffled a few feathers at Yea. Firstly they were going to refuse to sign our oval fit for play, because the rain had dampened the centre wicket area.

Correct me if Im wrong but most GV and MFL ovals have cricket on them so they'd wanna cancel games every 2nd week if we get a wet winter!!!

The state they left the changerooms were hardly that of a club trying to impress the majors, and our club sent photo's to the league as proof.

Not only that there was an incident where a Rumba official (goal umpire) clashed with a Yea player in the reserves clash, with punches traded, Im sure both the GVFL and MFL were impressed about that one.

I think the major leagues have every right to knock em back, they haven't been dominant in the CGFL - gone undefeated by 20 odd goals week in week out for 3-4 seasons no have they? Afterall they haven't been able to get the job when it counted in 2004 & 2005.

Whilst they have the current injection of Eddie's funds from Collingwood, they have to prove the can sustain their ability to be competitive both on and off field forever and a day once they go into a major league coz you cant just pack up and leave again if it dont work out.

I believe Mr. Briggs is a fantastic operator and the players seem a good bunch of fellas (although Thorpe did clean up Billy Neilson behind play). Maybe it is Yea that should be looking to move on!!! 5 grand finals in six years, premierships in '03 and '05, all whilst spending the bare minimum on player payments, surely we're getting too big for our boots (and have the runs on the board)!!!

Maybe if they had've got the home rooms grand final day like they squealed for, all wuold've been alright.

GO TIGERS :p
Good on you for what you have achieved with the Tigers.

It's all well and good plucking out incidents to highlight your, or the league's, case, one thing most people don't appreciate, however, is the double standards from officaldom that a lot of Aboriginal sporting clubs have to put up with in country regions which can frustrate the hell out of the 99.5% decent folk that make up such clubs. Speaking from experience here.

D/MoN said:
Good on you for what you have achieved with the Tigers. t's all well and good plucking out incidents to highlight your, or the league's, case, one thing most people don't appreciate, however, is the double standards from officaldom that a lot of Aboriginal sporting clubs have to put up with in country regions which can frustrate the hell out of the 99.5% decent folk that make up such clubs. Speaking from experience here.

Go easy there D/Mon I was giving several examples from my thoughts alone, I have nothing to do individual league's thought processes.

I have been watching the CGFL for 4 years now and dont think there has ever been "double standards" that Im aware of. What Im saying is why is that because Rumba decide they want to all of sudden play major league football - the GVFL or MFL are expected to say "sure why not"

Im 100% positive that if my club (Yea - with a much better onfield record of late) or for arguments sake a Colbinabbin of 2002-2004 was to lobby for a similar move, we would be stopped in our tracks quick smart.

As I said Rumba hasn't set the world on fire in the district comp, so why should it just be allowed because all of a sudden they feel like it? Prove yaself at a lesser level over a long period of time and weight of numbers will demand it happens. Until they start winning something they dont have a leg to stand on.

Myself, like many other football followers think it would be great to see Rumba represented in the GVFL (one day), but I guess what I was saying is that from what Ive seen I personally dont feel they're anywhere near ready to tackle that challenge.

It will happen in time, but for now everyone must get 100% behind Mr. Briggs and continue to impress both on and off the field for a sustained period of time, and Im sure opportunities will be offered.

Has a Yea fan, I find this letter bemusing, first off it was Yea who won over Rumbalara, I think its Yea who should be promoted to a bigger League, Rumbalara are a young side, whom I don't think as won a Flag, appears to want something they have not earned, sure oneday they may earn it, and become a power in the bigger Leagues, but that I suspect is like 10 years into the future.

bradrowe#32 said:
I don't agree with that letter at all. I'm not sure about the Murray League, but most people I've spoken to in the GV think that Rumba aren't ready yet for the GV. It's a pretty big step from the CG to GV in my opinion.

Mansfield did it a few years back and it took them a while to come up to scratch. I'm sure Rumba would get more assistance than Mansfield did.

slim18 said:
Mansfield did it a few years back and it took them a while to come up to scratch. I'm sure Rumba would get more assistance than Mansfield did.

That goes without saying . . . . and lets not forget Eddie has kicked in $500,000 out of Collingwood's hard earned.

let's get this straight, this issue isn't about promotions for premiers, it's about a team who want to take thier football club into a better league.
rumba have great amenities and a great ground and i have no doubt that them joining a better league will in turn see them get better recruits as players.
anyone who says that being knocked back by these two leagues has nothing to do with them being blackfella's is kidding themsleves IMO.

cosby said:
let's get this straight, this issue isn't about promotions for premiers, it's about a team who want to take thier football club into a better league.
rumba have great amenities and a great ground and i have no doubt that them joining a better league will in turn see them get better recruits as players.
anyone who says that being knocked back by these two leagues has nothing to do with them being blackfella's is kidding themsleves IMO.

Problem with this quote is that before Rumbalara can run with it, they need to win Flags like 2 or 3 or more in a row, and win lots of games by big margins,

now I admire their dream of bigger and better things, but they need to put the score on the board first, because if they just get it handed to them, and they get Flogged week after week, year after year, they will be nothing but a Laughing stock, and that would be a sad thing.

bmwofoz said:
Problem with this quote is that before Rumbalara can run with it, they need to win Flags like 2 or 3 or more in a row, and win lots of games by big margins,

now I admire their dream of bigger and better things, but they need to put the score on the board first, because if they just get it handed to them, and they get Flogged week after week, year after year, they will be nothing but a Laughing stock, and that would be a sad thing.

Said like an educated man bmwofoz - my thoughts exactly, it has nothing to do with the racist thing whatsoever, just about putting the score on the board first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

slim18 said:

Yeh, that's a pretty good point Slim. Mansfield did struggle for a few years before winning the flag last year. For me, Mansfield have always looked like they had pretty good support and infrastructure. I don't know enough about Rumba to say the same. No doubt the Collingwood link helps.

I could see them in the GV in future, but I just don't like the perception that the GV (or the ML) is racist because they won't allow them in.

bradrowe#32 said:
I could see them in the GV in future, but I just don't like the perception that the GV (or the ML) is racist because they won't allow them in.

Agreed, it's inevitable that it will happen in the future, but Mrs. Atkinson's letter is a direct attack on the executive of both leagues and wouldn't have done their hopes of inclusion any favours. The lobbying should be left to Mr. Briggs' and co. - publicity like this is uneccesaary and damaging to the cause.

agreed, they probably don't deserve to be put in the GV just yet. they do need to establish themselves as a force in the area first. i'm sure it will happen one day.

Can't see any reference to "we don't want a black club in our league."
as Mrs. Atkinson has assumed.

Appeal to be heard

October 11 2005
Shepparton News

The Picola and Murray leagues will have appeals against aspects of the Goulburn-Murray restructure heard by the VCFL in Melbourne on Saturday.
The Murray league is appealing against being allocated Rumbalara for 2006 without, it says, being properly consulted.

The Picola league is to appeal against a 16-team structure - its present 13 clubs plus Shepparton East, Dookie United and Violet Town. Picola made a submission before the closing date of September 30 on this proposal, after the VCFL had changed its 18-team proposal, excluding Alexandra and Thornton-Eildon.

The KDFL had a meeting with Violet Town on Monday about the Towners' possible entry to the league.

Doona2 said:
Can't see any reference to "we don't want a black club in our league."
as Mrs. Atkinson has assumed.

Appeal to be heard

October 11 2005
Shepparton News

The Picola and Murray leagues will have appeals against aspects of the Goulburn-Murray restructure heard by the VCFL in Melbourne on Saturday.
The Murray league is appealing against being allocated Rumbalara for 2006 without, it says, being properly consulted.

The Picola league is to appeal against a 16-team structure - its present 13 clubs plus Shepparton East, Dookie United and Violet Town. Picola made a submission before the closing date of September 30 on this proposal, after the VCFL had changed its 18-team proposal, excluding Alexandra and Thornton-Eildon.

The KDFL had a meeting with Violet Town on Monday about the Towners' possible entry to the league.

Racial references are hardly spelt out. It is perhaps an implied reference that Mrs. Atkinson is referring to?

Also, what are the 'aspects' the Murray league are appealing against? To being 'not consulted' only? And is this action against Rumbalara only?

D/MoN said:
Racial references are hardly spelt out. It is perhaps an implied reference that Mrs. Atkinson is referring to? Also, what are the 'aspects' the Murray league are appealing against? To being 'not consulted' only? And is this action against Rumbalara only?

I believe its the fact that Rumba haven't been dominant in the CGFL, and that they haven't proved they'll be competive beyond the point of buying their way in with eddies money. Sustained performances over a period of time is what they must show. Tongala have struggled to be competitive so they drop down a rung, Rumba has yet proven form a match day perspective it's ready to step up a rung.

It could be D-day tomorrow for several clubs - Rumbalara (Murray FL); Shepp East & Dookie (Picola DFL) and Yea (KDFL) with the VCFL meeting and apparently conducting appeal hearings.

Can confirm 100% having just read a VCFL statement signed by Worksafe VCFL's C.E.O. Glenn Scott indicating the following.

Yea and Violet Town into the KDFL
Rumbalara into the Murray FL
Shepp East & Dookie into the PDFL

Whilst it does put to bed some worries for the above clubs re: appointments, recruiting, sponsorship etc. it doesn't appear good for Alexandra and Thornton.
They can appeal, but the appeal is chaired again by the VCFL say it appears that would be a waste. Expect both to be shoved into the Yarra Valley Mountain DFL, but not necessarily means they will play. Still some banter that one or either club may be forced into recess - lets hope that this aint the case.

MFL loses appeal against Rumbalara's inclusion

By Mark Brown

October 18 2005
Shepparton News

Rumbalara will begin its search for a full-time coach immediately after it was all but confirmed yesterday the club would play in Murray Football League next year.
Rumbalara's switch to the MFL now appears a fait accompli after the move was again endorsed by the game's governing body.

The Victorian Country Football League has rejected MFL's second appeal against Rumbalara's clearance application, effectively green-lighting the transfer.

"It (Rumbalara's move) looks done and dusted," Murray league general manager Wayne Burrows said.

"We're waiting for official notification from the VCFL, but we've been told the appeal was dismissed.

"The decision will still have to be ratified by our clubs at an upcoming meeting, but at this stage it looks like Rumbalara will be in next year."

Rumbalara president Paul Briggs said he had also been told the appeal was rejected.

Briggs said he was pleased the VCFL had stuck by its guns and placed Rumbalara into a major league.

"We're really pleased with our inclusion into the MFL," Briggs said.

"It (the decision) still has to go before the (MFL) clubs, but it looks like the formalities are almost over."

Briggs said the club would immediately start looking for a full-time coach to replace Alan Thorpe, who announced he was stepping down from the post.

"Alan used to commute from Melbourne twice a week for training and decided with us going into a higher league, he wouldn't have the time to go around again," he said.

"We've said previously that we'd like to get a fulltime coach on board and now we know where we're playing, we can look to fill that position."

It was pretty obvious that Rumba were going to whip out and play the race card as soon as you can say Jack Robinson, because it has got them out of situations that would've send most clubs out on thier arse. (the incident where thier Under 17's players attacked an umpire for one), since that they have the Murray League over a barrel, they may as well consider leaving the VCFL (those incompetent fools), and joining the more professional environment of the AFLNSW Riverina with a 12 team MFL for season 2006.

Because let's face it, Rumbalara are treating the Murray League (which is a strong, viable, stable, well run league in its own right), as nothing more than a stopover league on the way to where it wants to go (much like having a stopover at Singapore or Bangkok on the way to London), and no-one can blame the MFL for being a bit ********ed off about having to accept a club that seems to not have the leagues best interest at heart, and doesn't have the credentials to be a viable member of the league (saying that you should be in a Major League because you've done reasonably well in a District Competition is similar to advocating for a place in the 100 metre sprint at the Olympics because you've won a inter house high school egg & spoon race).

Although Murchison (and every other member in the KDFL), aren't exactly jumping for joy about having Yea back in the league again (too bloody cold and far away for a start), but we're confident that they (and Violet Town), will endeavour to make the KDFL the strongest league it can be, but it remains to be seen that Rumbalara will have the same good intentions when it comes to the Murray League, only time will tell.

Wayde Petersen said:
Although Murchison (and every other member in the KDFL), aren't exactly jumping for joy about having Yea back in the league again (too bloody cold and far away for a start), but we're confident that they (and Violet Town), will endeavour to make the KDFL the strongest league it can be, but it remains to be seen that Rumbalara will have the same good intentions when it comes to the Murray League, only time will tell.

We just wanna play footy Wayde, trust me it's the same distance from Shepp to Yea as it is from Yea up to Shepp. From all reports Yea loved their time in the KDFL and only left because they were forced out by the VCFL. Again we're looking forward to firstly trying to be competitve and secondly helping contribute to what's already a strong little district comp. We're happy to travel every second week, you only have to do it once (or maybe not even once) a season.

All clubs need a home, and the KDFL is a good home to be in, and i'm sure that the ultimate success (a senior premiership) will happen the secnd time around in our league, sooner, rather than later. and as I said earlier, we only have to go to Yea once a year , you on the other hand have to travel A LOT, so we can live with that, and I wish you the best of luck in the KDFL in 2006 (that is everyone else except Murchison ! :D ).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back