Rumbalara Plays The Trump Card

Remove this Banner Ad

Wayde Petersen said:
All clubs need a home, and the KDFL is a good home to be in, and i'm sure that the ultimate success (a senior premiership) will happen the secnd time around in our league, sooner, rather than later. and as I said earlier, we only have to go to Yea once a year , you on the other hand have to travel A LOT, so we can live with that, and I wish you the best of luck in the KDFL in 2006 (that is everyone else except Murchison ! :D ).

What is news out of Murchison Wayde? Are the Turner boys and Willie Saunders sticking around? What was the wash up with Booza's report/suspension (didn't hear the verdict, didn't he have a 6wk suspended sentence hanging over his head or something?)

Doona2 said:
MFL loses appeal against Rumbalara's inclusion

By Mark Brown

October 18 2005
Shepparton News

Rumbalara will begin its search for a full-time coach immediately after it was all but confirmed yesterday the club would play in Murray Football League next year.
Rumbalara's switch to the MFL now appears a fait accompli after the move was again endorsed by the game's governing body.

The Victorian Country Football League has rejected MFL's second appeal against Rumbalara's clearance application, effectively green-lighting the transfer.

"It (Rumbalara's move) looks done and dusted," Murray league general manager Wayne Burrows said.

"We're waiting for official notification from the VCFL, but we've been told the appeal was dismissed.

"The decision will still have to be ratified by our clubs at an upcoming meeting, but at this stage it looks like Rumbalara will be in next year."

Rumbalara president Paul Briggs said he had also been told the appeal was rejected.

Briggs said he was pleased the VCFL had stuck by its guns and placed Rumbalara into a major league.

"We're really pleased with our inclusion into the MFL," Briggs said.

"It (the decision) still has to go before the (MFL) clubs, but it looks like the formalities are almost over."

Briggs said the club would immediately start looking for a full-time coach to replace Alan Thorpe, who announced he was stepping down from the post.

"Alan used to commute from Melbourne twice a week for training and decided with us going into a higher league, he wouldn't have the time to go around again," he said.

"We've said previously that we'd like to get a fulltime coach on board and now we know where we're playing, we can look to fill that position."

Adrian Hickmott has been offered the Rumbarala job. Don't be suprised if he takes it. Apparently it hinges on the deal with Collingwood and what the Pies can do for Hickmott's career.

RiverinAFL said:
Where is Rumalara's home base / ground etc. Where do they get their supporter base from

Ground is just off the main drag on the northern side of Shepp, Mercury Drive. Arguably one of the best country football set ups I reckon, if it had the grandstanding like Deakin it would be the complete venue.

centreman said:
Adrian Hickmott has been offered the Rumbarala job. Don't be suprised if he takes it. Apparently it hinges on the deal with Collingwood and what the Pies can do for Hickmott's career.

Well Hickmott has been quoted for a while saying that he wants to coach TAC/VFL/AFL, so if Rumba have the right amount of $ (which you'd expect), they could be a reasonable show for the finals in their first year of MFL. Wouldn't it be a turn up if they won the flag... obviously long way to go before that happens, but if Hickmott can get them fit and add a few good strong bodies they could be a formidable outfit. Esp when you consider that Hickmott has the potential to tear that league apart.

Guinea said:
Well Hickmott has been quoted for a while saying that he wants to coach TAC/VFL/AFL, so if Rumba have the right amount of $ (which you'd expect), they could be a reasonable show for the finals in their first year of MFL. Wouldn't it be a turn up if they won the flag... obviously long way to go before that happens, but if Hickmott can get them fit and add a few good strong bodies they could be a formidable outfit. Esp when you consider that Hickmott has the potential to tear that league apart.

That could be the secret, get em fit and stronger bodies. Yea beat them by basically running them off their legs and placing them under pressure every time they used the ball. They hate physical pressure, and not big on chasing, something Murray League clubs would be aware of.

I do hope Rumba keeps on pressuring Murray football league :thumbsdown: they will have to crack it sooner or later, come on rumba keep nagging them until they give in, don't give up try try & Try again :thumbsu:

Andyt30 said:
I do hope Rumba keeps on pressuring Murray football league :thumbsdown: they will have to crack it sooner or later, come on rumba keep nagging them until they give in, don't give up try try & Try again :thumbsu:

Good executive, great infastructure, onfield success will soon follow no doubt with Eddie's cash bonanza.

centreman said:

As I told here this week, Adrian Hickmott has today been appointed coach of Rumbalara, and they will, of course, play in the Murray league.

centreman said:
As I told here this week, Adrian Hickmott has today been appointed coach of Rumbalara, and they will, of course, play in the Murray league.

Tha tis big big news. Obviously the links with him and collingwood int he future was the trunp card.

Heard he was int he running fo rthe keilor job, although that now is out the window

cheers
JT

centreman said:

Massive news - no doubt Hickmott will have be able to attract a few players to help spend Eddie's $500,000. Big couple of years out at Mercury Drive and the GV plans might be brought forward. Any news on what Thorpey is up to, will he still play up there, still capable of getting a kick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doona2 said:
Massive news - no doubt Hickmott will have be able to attract a few players to help spend Eddie's $500,000. Big couple of years out at Mercury Drive and the GV plans might be brought forward. Any news on what Thorpey is up to, will he still play up there, still capable of getting a kick?

I think the door is still open for him to play there, but I doubt he will as he's based in Melbourne.

New professional era has Hickmott coaching full-time

By Christie Peucker

October 21 2005
Shepparton News

Former Shepparton Bear Adrian Hickmott will lead Rumbalara Football Netball Club into season 2006, after being appointed full-time senior coach of the side yesterday.
Hickmott signed a 12-month contract with the mostly indigenous side, for what is likely to be its inaugural season in the Murray Football League.

The former AFL star said he was hopeful Rumbalara would be competitive in the MFL and that his appointment was a partnership benefiting both the club and himself.

"Rumbalara are working to achieve the highest they can," Hickmott said.

"And going into another league is a great step for the community.

"I haven't seen Rumbalara play once but I've been told some positive things."

Hickmott's position will also strengthen ties with the Academy of Sport, Health and Education program (ASHE) - a partnership between the University of Melbourne and club - which he had been involved in for the past season.

"The ASHE program is very important," he said.

"I've been bringing the indigenous kids that aren't in schooling back in by doing modules in footy, time management and stress management."

Club president Paul Briggs said Hickmott was a good fit for the role, which reflects coaching across all teams as well as community development.

"To have someone as motivated as he is . . . It's a good synergy with what the football club wanted with the team and the work of the academy," Briggs said.

Rumbalara goal-sneak Brad Firebrace said he was looking forward to learning from the former Geelong and Carlton player.

"I'm really excited, I can't wait," Firebrace said.

"Just his knowledge from AFL and doing that little bit extra."

Hickmott said he would continue to develop his coaching skills through regular contact with AFL club Collingwood.

"I'll probably go to Melbourne twice a week and learn from people like Neil Balme," Hickmott said.

"I'll go down and sit in on meetings and be a spectator to learn and develop myself as a coach."

He said he would also seek to take Rumbalara players down to Collingwood throughout next season to expose them to future prospects.

"Can you imagine if you took a young keen footballer down there, how excited he would be," Hickmott said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back