Running Goals- The key to the remainder of our Season?

Remove this Banner Ad

AndyD

Club Legend
Dec 23, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If (BIG IF) we are to make the finals this year, I think the one thing we have to get back to doing is kicking goals on the run. During the latter part of 05 and most of 06 it seemed like we seemed to be kicking a fair percentage of our goals on the run. This year it seems like the players have been trying to hit up targets in a crowded forward 50 instead of running 5-10 more meters and having a ping at the goals. It's like once we move past forward of the centre square the players just stop and think, rather than backing themselves and playing on instinct. Also, if we are able to score goals on the run from 40-50 out, it may lessen the crowd of players in the 20-40 meter area blocking up our leads as those players occupying those areas will now move forward 15-20 meters and free up our leading players. It also compensates for our smaller forward line.

If (BIG IF) we are to make the finals this year, I think the one thing we have to get back to doing is kicking goals on the run. During the latter part of 05 and most of 06 it seemed like we seemed to be kicking a fair percentage of our goals on the run. This year it seems like the players have been trying to hit up targets in a crowded forward 50 instead of running 5-10 more meters and having a ping at the goals. It's like once we move past forward of the centre square the players just stop and think, rather than backing themselves and playing on instinct. Also, if we are able to score goals on the run from 40-50 out, it may lessen the crowd of players in the 20-40 meter area blocking up our leads as those players occupying those areas will now move forward 15-20 meters and free up our leading players. It also compensates for our smaller forward line.

Actually that's a good point - last year Eagle, Smith, Gilbee and McMahon all regularly scored big goals from outside or around the fifty. In the games I've seen this year (and I have to admit I tend not to bother watching losses) it hasn't happened anywhere enar as often. Bring back the voast to coast goals!!!

That's probably because:

1. Griffen has been out half the year
2. Eagleton has gotten lost most of the year
3. Gilbee has had the ball floating back over his head after turnovers he hasn't been able to run forward so much this year

Love a big Gilbee bomb from 55 - hope he brings it on the weekend!

How can we lose that much confidence?!

I think it is a combination of things...loosing crucial running players at the same time, players playing in positions they are not accustomed to as much, having Darcy, Hahn and Murphy come back into the side virtually around the same time knowing it would take awhile till they got up and running....we can speculate forever.........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back