Injury Russell your feathers - discuss all things high performance; injury lists, Marvel surface, curse from the gods and Andrew Russell

Remove this Banner Ad

SoS long gone now. The re-signing of said players, and lack of list turnover particularly last year, to clear some of these types, compounds the issue.

For example, Cunningham has spent 10years on the list for very few games or which when he does play, inconsistent output.

All teams, go through this. Cutting their losses of "talented" high picks who cant get in the park... Collingwood had a litany of them a few years ago, eg. Freeman, Rusling etc.

To me list mgt has got to play a part. Professional sport is a ruthless business, and there is always hard luck stories

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
Yeah I agree.

You can never pin these things on one person.

I suggested a couple of years ago we should not extend marchy’s contract but others here believed we should….and the argument was who do you replace them with - poor argument really.

Anyway there are many now, and rightfully so, wanting cunners Martin and marchy gone.

To me list mgt has got to play a part. Professional sport is a ruthless business, and there is always hard luck stories
It does and any good club would have their list managent make data backed decisions after being brought up to speed on each player's health situation etc by Russells team. So there's something amiss in the process I imagine.

Zac Williams - 28 ACL majority
Caleb Marchbank - 21 Injury prone
Jack Martin - 20^ Injury prone
David Cuningham - 16^ Injury prone
Jack Silvagni - 16^ ACL majority
Sam Walsh - 15 Back majority
Sam Docherty - 14^ ACL majority
Corey Durdin - 13 Shoulder/hammy
Sam Durdin - 13^ Who knows
Alex Mirkov - 12 Heart
Jesse Motlop - 11^ Hammy
Mitch McGovern - 10 Injury prone

Last edited:
Hun

Sports science expert David Buttifant backs Blues’ fitness team as injury list soars

No doubt Russell and his team are good people and are feeling as frustrated with current situation as we are but the club have to overhaul the S&C team at end of year. It's simply not working and a different approach is required.

No matter what is said, a healthy list is the difference to being a good team to that of a Premiership team. Our in-season injury lists has been too extensive for far too many years.

No doubt Russell and his team are good people and are feeling as frustrated with current situation as we are but the club have to overhaul the S&C team at end of year. It's simply not working and a different approach is required.
That it's not currently working doesn't necessarily mean that they have to be overhauled.
Maybe they've learned from the things that have gone wrong and can make improvements from here.

That it's not currently working doesn't necessarily mean that they have to be overhauled.
Maybe they've learned from the things that have gone wrong and can make improvements from here.
That’s true but Russell is in his 6th year at the club. How long does he get?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s true but Russell is in his 6th year at the club. How long does he get?
Firstly, I have no idea what the right call is. We can only place our trust in Cook et al and hope for the best.

There are a some other factors in regards to Russell though.
He was not given free reign until the last couple of years, and as such, our list was not fit enough. There was a conscious decision that we needed to train harder and get the whole squad fitter for the long term, and that this would take several years.

The spate of soft-tissue injuries has really only been an issue this year, and it seems we have recognised that we may have gone too hard with the training this pre-season.

From here options include recognising the mistake and having heads roll for it, or recognising the mistake and learning and adjusting for the future.

Our injury issues are undeniably a big story that the media should be covering.
Especially when it suits a point being made :).

But as soon as they report on something we don't like - we slag them off.

Media vultures are great at reading the room - the more disturbed it is the better.

Firstly, I have no idea what the right call is. We can only place our trust in Cook et al and hope for the best.

There are a some other factors in regards to Russell though.
He was not given free reign until the last couple of years, and as such, our list was not fit enough. There was a conscious decision that we needed to train harder and get the whole squad fitter for the long term, and that this would take several years.

The spate of soft-tissue injuries has really only been an issue this year, and it seems we have recognised that we may have gone too hard with the training this pre-season.

From here options include recognising the mistake and having heads roll for it, or recognising the mistake and learning and adjusting for the future.

It beggars belief still to this day that Lloyd survived the 2021 review. Teague and Russell both reported to him. Surely he must have backed Teague to override Russell.

That all said I also trust Cook to make the right calls on strength and condition (and list management) of injury prone players at the end of the season.

Especially when it suits a point being made :).

But as soon as they report on something we don't like - we slag them off.

Media vultures are great at reading the room - the more disturbed it is the better.
What point? To generate clicks? Yes. All the articles are doing is highlighting an issue. There's no secret effort to destabilize the club.
Could it be the surface of Ikon that’s the issue ?
This has supposedly been reviewed but don't know by who or how well. Pies had their training field reviewed after 2012 due to losing the season to injury. Found it was bad. But then also found it was bad again around covid idr exactly. Don't think it's the easiest thing to change

What point? To generate clicks? Yes. All the articles are doing is highlighting an issue. There's no secret effort to destabilize the club.

This has supposedly been reviewed but don't know by who or how well. Pies had their training field reviewed after 2012 due to losing the season to injury. Found it was bad. But then also found it was bad again around covid idr exactly. Don't think it's the easiest thing to change

Collingwood redid the surface on AIA oval over the past summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back