Delisted Ryan Bastinac (2015-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

121 games in 6 seasons. Only 24. Should hopefully get a similar amount of games in Lions colours at least. :)

it's probably no coincidence that Bastinac's decline was proportional to Cunnington's rise.
North have Ziebel, Swallow and Cunnington with inside roles ...and are largely slow and one paced.
This I believe left Bastinac a little lost in the overall big picture at North.
I believe he will thrive at the Lions.

Is an inside player who has been forced to play outside in order to play in the senior side at North due to Cunnington, Swallow and Ziebell. With the loss of Redden and our relative weakness in the inside of the midfield contest Bastinac will get to play as an inside midfielder at the Lions in our senior side.

I am going to back him in to have a career best year next season and as he starts to enter his prime.

Welcome to the Lions Basti can't wait to see you run out on the Gabba!

it's probably no coincidence that Bastinac's decline was proportional to Cunnington's rise.
North have Ziebel, Swallow and Cunnington with inside roles ...and are largely slow and one paced.
This I believe left Bastinac a little lost in the overall big picture at North.
I believe he will thrive at the Lions.

I reckon Dal Santo had a bigger effect on that decline. He had a great 2012/13 before they picked up Dal Santo who played his role in 2014/15. It pushed Bastinac further away from the contest which didn't suit him. He's never really been used in that inside role because of those players you mention, even in his good years.

I reckon Dal Santo had a bigger effect on that decline. He had a great 2012/13 before they picked up Dal Santo who played his role in 2014/15. It pushed Bastinac further away from the contest which didn't suit him. He's never really been used in that inside role because of those players you mention, even in his good years.
Dal Santo.....plays loose across half back doesn't he ????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions Delighted With Bastinac

The Brisbane Lions are bullish about their frenetic finish to the 2015 AFL Trade Period that landed North Melbourne midfielder Ryan Bastinac and valuable draft picks to lock-in homegrown talent.

The Lions finalised a complex three-way deal involving Collingwood and the Kangaroos in the dying hours of the Trade Period that also sent midfielder James Aish to the Magpies.

Brisbane CEO Greg Swann said despite some last-minute “argy-bargy’’, the Lions were delighted with gaining Bastinac, picks 38 and 40 for this year’s draft and second and third round selections in next year’s draft.

In exchange, Brisbane sent Aish to Collingwood and picks 17 and 26 to North Melbourne.

364513_nl.jpg

Bastinac: "I needed a fresh start"

“It was really hard (to leave the Kangaroos), but I just felt like I needed a fresh start,” Bastinac told LionsTV this morning.

“The last few years have been a bit stagnate and Brisbane, I think, was the best place to come. It’s a great city.”
Bastinac was a mainstay of North Melbourne’s midfield for a number of years as an inside ball-winner but fell out of favour while adjusting to a more outside role at Arden St this year.

“I thought I had a few good games but was probably just a bit inconsistent.

“I missed out on the finals series which was really disappointing. I’m really looking forward to improving at the Lions, having a good pre-season and having a good season next year.”

One thing about Basti that I have picked up on from watching him in the past and watching a fair amount of footage of him at both AFL and VFL level since the Lions recruited him is that he has very tidy disposal, particularly by foot. This will be a very handy trait to add to our midfield as turnovers have simply killed the side in recent years both directly and indirectly (Results in extra work for the midfielders in getting back on defensive efforts which also leads to more tired bodies as the games progresses).

We all know he comes to the club having stagnated form wise the past couple of years, however, he played some quality football in the first three odd years of his career and North fans were talking him up as a future A grader. He is unlikely to reach those heights now but I genuinely think with a fresh start he will flourish and have a career best year. The form of all three of DBeams, Bundy and MRobbo last year showed that a fresh start at a new club in a new state can work wonders. I see no reason why it won't do the same for a motivated Ryan Bastinac and my prediction is that this time next year Lions fans will hold him in the same regard as the likes of Rockliff and DBeams. Big call I know but I really rate him and am excited to have him at the club:thumbsu::rainbow:

One thing about Basti that I have picked up on from watching him in the past and watching a fair amount of footage of him at both AFL and VFL level since the Lions recruited him is that he has very tidy disposal, particularly by foot. This will be a very handy trait to add to our midfield as turnovers have simply killed the side in recent years both directly and indirectly (Results in extra work for the midfielders in getting back on defensive efforts which also leads to more tired bodies as the games progresses).

We all know he comes to the club having stagnated form wise the past couple of years, however, he played some quality football in the first three odd years of his career and North fans were talking him up as a future A grader. He is unlikely to reach those heights now but I genuinely think with a fresh start he will flourish and have a career best year. The form of all three of DBeams, Bundy and MRobbo last year showed that a fresh start at a new club in a new state can work wonders. I see no reason why it won't do the same for a motivated Ryan Bastinac and my prediction is that this time next year Lions fans will hold him in the same regard as the likes of Rockliff and DBeams. Big call I know but I really rate him and am excited to have him at the club:thumbsu::rainbow:

Extremely unlikely; but I can see him being an important best 18 player if he plays predominantly out of the centre square.

More importantly, along with the likes of Bell + Robinson; Bastinac will allow the likes of Beams, Rich, Rockliff, Zorko, Christensen and Hanley (all attacking weapons, capable of kicking multiple goals per game) to somewhat run free.
Or at least have the capacity to. Along with Martin, we boast a potent, mature midfield.

Added to the above 9 players are Taylor, Mayes + Robertson who are all making their way, but have undoubted potential.

Overall, really like the Bastinac signing :thumbsu:

Extremely unlikely; but I can see him being an important best 18 player if he plays predominantly out of the centre square.

More importantly, along with the likes of Bell + Robinson; Bastinac will allow the likes of Beams, Rich, Rockliff, Zorko, Christensen and Hanley (all attacking weapons, capable of kicking multiple goals per game) to somewhat run free.
Or at least have the capacity to. Along with Martin, we boast a potent, mature midfield.

Added to the above 9 players are Taylor, Mayes + Robertson who are all making their way, but have undoubted potential.

Overall, really like the Bastinac signing :thumbsu:
Yep our midfield depth is shaping up really nicely. You can add Jansen, Keays and Mathieson as young players who will push for selection in the reserves and players like Lester and Bewick who will make sure the players you listed play at their best otherwise they will replace them as Lester and Bewick are too good for NEAFL level(If only they could transfer their NEAFL form to the AFL on a consistent basis!).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back