AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC (SANFL), Port Melb (VFL)
From the Advertiser 19/5/05...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopwood won't die wondering
By DOUG ROBERTSON

RESILIENT midfielder Heath Hopwood said he "won't die wondering" when he leads South Australia as first-time captain against traditional enemy the VFL in the state leagues clash at Port Melbourne on Saturday.

The New South Wales-born Hopwood, who has been acting captain in five of Central District's six games this year, says he shares the Croweaters' desire to roll Victorians in football matches. Hopwood, 27, will lead SA for the first time while reliable North Adelaide skipper Darryl Wintle is his first-time deputy.
Damian Squire, SA's captain against the WAFL in 2003, was retained in the 22-man team (four on the interchange bench) to face the Big V from 12.40pm (SA time). However, midfielder Mark McKenzie (Woodville-West Torrens) was cut and Chris Hall (South Adelaide) could not be considered because of a foot injury.

Hopwood said being in a Croweaters guernsey for the fourth time was a thrill but being captain had him counting his blessings. Coach Darel Hart said Hopwood was chosen because of the enthusiasm and passion he showed at training and because he "led by example".

"I'm still caught up in all this stuff, in state footy. I know a lot of people don't recognise it but I do," delighted Hopwood said before SA's final training session at AAMI Stadium last night.

"Even if I was injured, I'd still try to play . . . yeah, I'd tell lies (to play). I'm a New South Welshman but I've been here 10 years now so that qualifies me for citizenship, I reckon."

Hopwood said the responsibility of leading the state's most talented group of footballers outside the AFL would not change his hard-nutted style.

"I've missed out on the AFL so this is the next best thing for me," he said. "I got the job obviously because they like the way I do things so I'll keep giving the same . . . be hard at the footy and be honest, then you don't die wondering."

Wintle, listed with Adelaide in 1999, is certain to start on one wing on the compact TEAC Oval in his second interstate outing. "He was an excellent captain in very hard times (at North)," said Hart, the Roosters' coach from 2001-03. "It would have been very easy to select Damian (Squire) but two other boys get a chance now and hopefully they'll be winning captains like he was."

The VFL is waiting on fitness reports on several players and will name its 22 tonight.

Happy to see Hopwood leading!!! go u doggies!!! Would have liked to have seen Squire as captain but Heath is def a quality leader no doubt there.

Has the final SA 22 been named yet? Or at least the final 25 like the VFL has I think?

Has the final SA 22 been named yet? Or at least the final 25 like the VFL has I think?[/QUOTE]

McKenzie and Hall were cut leaving a final 22(4 on the bench) of:

Arnott, Cowan, C Gowans, Graham, Schell, Hopwood(c)- Centrals

Backwell- Glenelg

Roe, Wintle(vc)- North

Bassett, Borlace- Norwood

AhChee, Clayton- Port

Kenna, Smith- South

Chambers, Whiteman, Sheedy, Squire- Sturt

Inkster, Lindsay, O'Hara- Eagles

I think Luke Cowan is the luckiest player in the SANFL.

How the hell do both Lindsay and O'Hara play? They may get hitouts but god they suck around the ground!

Cowan!! wtf! very very spasmodic player.

Not the best team there, tho Borlace has been averaging 35 disposals a game this year so he should be the first choice rover.

And surely Cicollela would play!!! he hasn't been in his 30 disposal a game form so far but hell he is a slippery, and hard to contain cunning player who would be vital in the middle I reckon.

Thunderstruck said:
How the hell do both Lindsay and O'Hara play? They may get hitouts but god they suck around the ground!

Cowan!! wtf! very very spasmodic player.

Not the best team there, tho Borlace has been averaging 35 disposals a game this year so he should be the first choice rover.

And surely Cicollela would play!!! he hasn't been in his 30 disposal a game form so far but hell he is a slippery, and hard to contain cunning player who would be vital in the middle I reckon.

I think they could have gone with someone other than Cowan... he better be really switched on this week.

Anyone for a punt on the Fos Williams Medallist? I reckon M. Clayton.

Dont know why all the South Aussies are so excited by this pathetic excuse for a "State" game. The Victorian team (sic) look really tenth rate and will have no reflection on the standard of the overall VFL competition.
A total waste of a Sat arvo in Melbourne and this will be reflected by the poor crowd that will bother to turn up.

You obviously cared enough that you needed to post something about it.

The only reason its going to get a low crowd is because the AFL has stacked the odds in their favour.

raboyle said:
You obviously cared enough that you needed to post something about it.

The only reason its going to get a low crowd is because the AFL has stacked the odds in their favour.

That wont help but it is a fact of life for the VFL/VFA every week and and has been for 108 years, but Melbourne has 3.6 million people and if the game draws something like 2000 as I suspect it it will be a joke for what is being billed as a State game.
The VFL/AFL has always sucked every penny they can from the Melbourne football public and have never had any interest in fostering anything that was not in the interest of the VFL/AFL. Even today the AFL is loath to admit that ALL of the current Melbourne AFL teams started in the VFA.

The general sporting public and the Media in Melbourne see the VFL only as an AFL reserves comp and as the 9 AFL teams in Melbourne that are affiliated with former VFA teams call the shots unlike in SA where you only have two AFL teams and the players are spread around.

FINAL TEAM (Source: http://vflfooty.dyndns.org/)

B: Whiteman (STURT), AhChee (PORT), Roe (NORTH)
HB: Squire (STURT), Graham (CENTRAL), Hopewood (CENTRAL)
C: Smith (EAGLES), Arnott (CENTRAL), Wintle (NORTH)
HF: Sheedy (STURT), Cowan (CENTRAL), Inkster (EAGLES)
F: Chambers (STURT), Schell (CENTRAL), Backwell (GLENELG)
R: Lindsay (EAGLES), Clayton (PORT), Kenna (SOUTH)
INT: O'Hara (EAGLES), Bassett, (NORWOOD), Borlace (NORWOOD), C.Gowans (CENTRAL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back