"Sack Goodwin!"

Remove this Banner Ad

He'll get his chance, but surely you have to be concerned with the lack of change or acknowledgement of where the obvious issues are? At least he's finally acknowledged that the skills are not up to scratch.

A good system/gameplan is one that supports the players. When they're out of form, missing key players, or whatever else befalls a team, they can trust in the system to make them competitive, beat the teams they should be beating, etc. You fall back on the system, remember your training. The Goody gameplan is the other way around: it requires a full list and everyone playing well just to make it work.

What have we seen him trying that is different? He at least threw things around for the Richmond game. It didn't work, but I was relieved that he was apparently willing to do something different. But since then it's all been the same thing week after week. What's he doing to arrest the fall? How is he getting some confidence and momentum back into the players before the end of the season? What is the point of just continuing along the same path while Carlton, North, Saints all build some positivity and direction for next year?

OF course I have concerns but I will give him the chance to coach his way out of it.

North had a coach for 10 years
Saints had a coach for 6 years
Carlton has a coach for 4-5 years

And we are going to sack Goodwin just to follow the trend and not let get left behind.

I'm also fairly sure that the Carlton North and Saints situations are too good to be true. It seems incredibly unlikely that the 3 care taker coaches are the 3 best coaches out there right now. It seems that it's easier than ever to ruin a group with over coaching but I can't see that lasting into next year. Teams will figure them out and the high of extra training and no shackles will only take you so far

Yep, and under a new coach there seems to be a blank slate for the players to prove them selves. Potentially checked out players that found themselves on the outer under the last coach get an injection of enthusiasm again. Everyone's playing for that new contract again.

Yep, and under a new coach there seems to be a blank slate for the players to prove them selves. Potentially checked out players that found themselves on the outer under the last coach get an injection of enthusiasm again. Everyone's playing for that new contract again.
David Teague is universally praised by the playing group however. They love his style.

Failed if you measure making finals as an absolute must, fact is we got within 2 goals of making finals.

Rich0 coached for 6 years for a best result of 9th with 12 wins, 0 finals.

Bolton coached for 4 years did he even get them out of the bottom 4.

Goodwin deserves to coach his way back into form next year.
It’s seems pretty clear that both those blokes you mentioned should of been moved on last year we really don’t what to be making the same mistake, Goodwin’s record is appalling when you take into account the fact he was gifted the job having done none of the rebuilding and has barely won half his games since. He’d want to turn it around real quickly or he should be ****ed off

It’s seems pretty clear that both those blokes you mentioned should of been moved on last year we really don’t what to be making the same mistake, Goodwin’s record is appalling when you take into account the fact he was gifted the job having done none of the rebuilding and has barely won half his games since. He’d want to turn it around real quickly or he should be f’ed off
I agree. And the executive should be looking very closely at the development of players, development of strategies in modern football and the relationships with the players. Erosion of these factors should signal a need for change. Whether that’s in round 23 this year or round 4 next year.

I actually don’t care, as a member I am frustrated to hell seeing the club bite the dust like this.

OF course I have concerns but I will give him the chance to coach his way out of it.

North had a coach for 10 years
Saints had a coach for 6 years
Carlton has a coach for 4-5 years

And we are going to sack Goodwin just to follow the trend and not let get left behind.
I don’t think we are following a trend at all, we need to put the MFC and it’s members first.

It’s seems pretty clear that both those blokes you mentioned should of been moved on last year we really don’t what to be making the same mistake, Goodwin’s record is appalling when you take into account the fact he was gifted the job having done none of the rebuilding and has barely won half his games since. He’d want to turn it around real quickly or he should be f’ed off

Even Bolton has twice as long as Goodwin. Sacking him would be jumping at shadows.

Having a 12 win season with 105% followed by a season with 2 finals wins is not appalling. He and the club has had a shocker of year.

You just don’t tip out a coach after one bad year off the back of a good season last year. Was he gifted the job or did he go through the selection process like anyone else who wanted the job.

This thread is way to reactionary and negative. If you are going to sack Goodwin at least come up some alternative coaching and what they could bring to the club. Or what Goodwin could do to improve the game style.

I’ve had my say on what he needs to do gamestyle wise....I will be back in 2020 when we are winning games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even Bolton has twice as long as Goodwin. Sacking him would be jumping at shadows.

Having a 12 win season with 105% followed by a season with 2 finals wins is not appalling. He and the club has had a shocker of year.

You just don’t tip out a coach after one bad year off the back of a good season last year. Was he gifted the job or did he go through the selection process like anyone else who wanted the job.

This thread is way to reactionary and negative. If you are going to sack Goodwin at least come up some alternative coaching and what they could bring to the club. Or what Goodwin could do to improve the game style.

I’ve had my say on what he needs to do gamestyle wise....I will be back in 2020 when we are winning games.
Goodwin has been at Melbourne since the end of 2014 senior coach since seasons end 2016 and was parachuted into the top job, from memory no selection process he was sort of hand picked by Roos after a couple of other blokes told us to stick the job up our ass. Bolton had 3 and half years at Carlton and failed miserably but also started from a much lower base than Goodwin.

Goodwin has won half his games as coach with a list of players seen by many as the best in the league and would have been intimately involved in all draft and recruiting decisions in the last 5 years, his record in those circumstances is appalling the buck stops with him. He’s not going to be sacked this year our dead s**t admin has seen to that with the extension but if we sit 3 and 8 by half way next year he has to go, 5 and half years will be plenty of time in that case

We didn't have the best list in the league nor was it even close. Our backline sucked, our midfield was one dimensional and our forward line had one bloke holding it all together with his kicking

Hogan truly was amazing.

He won’t get sacked this year nor should he

He might even become a decent coach

But to date he has shown he is average at best, more like bottom quartile - the results last year flattered him but we all know he has refused to address issues evident for a years

In my occupation it’s not unusual to see managers inherit a team or account and continue ok for a couple of years on the back of the momentum their predecessor built, but then when challenges arise stumble never to recover as they are not familiar with what built the platform of success in the first place

Let’s see how goody goes - he needs one more year, deserves it, and I hope I’m wrong. But * me confidence is low

In 2016 Hardwick learnt that he needed more pace and pressure around his forward half to lock the ball in there. In 2017 Buckley learned to coach his players better rather than demand them be more like him.

What have we learned this year? That we need to win more contested footy and fix our 'connection'

I'm just not sure he's aware of what we need to change

According to champion data this has been the 3rd biggest percentage fall in the last 20 years.

The 2 above us were when Carlton's salary cap scandal hit in 2001-2002 and Collingwood's 2011-2012

Collingwood still made a prelim in 2012

So you can safely say this has been the worst drop off of a team in 20 years.

I'd be surprised to see McCartney there next year. I think Goodwin is pretty good from all reports with building relationships with the players. It seems to be tactical nous he struggles with. So who is out there that we can bring in? Would Gary Ayres be someone we'd look at??? Especially if McCartney goes, bringing in an old head could be a good idea. Not sure what Ayres tactical nous is like, but could be someone we should look at. If the club goes into next year thinking things will simply turn around with what we have on and off field we will be bottom 4 again no doubt..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back