Traded Sam Mayes (2012-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

It has been the perfect storm in many respects for young Sammy to become the forgotten man after having a couple of quiet years after looking like a future gun in his first season and the rumours about him wanting out at the end of last season. To top it all off he is out of contract at the end of this year and could be in danger of leaving. The exciting thing is he was singled out by Leppa as one of the players who is having a great pre season and as he enters his 4th season it might all click for Maysie and he might start to fulfil his potential. If he does we improve as a side.

Where will they line up in 2016?

The 21-year-old spent time playing off half back and on the wing in the Lions’ line-up in 2015, a season in which he notched up his 50th game for the Club.

Mayes proved he can have a damaging boot – kicking five goals from the wing in the NEAFL last year. A stand-out on the track this pre-season, Mayes will look to nail down a spot on a half-back flank and wing.

Lion Sam Mayes puts contract talks on hold

SAM MAYES has put off contract talks with the Brisbane Lions as he focuses on making a strong start to the 2016 season.

Mayes, the No.8 pick in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft, is due to come out of contract at the end of this season.

The 21-year-old was linked to a possible return to his home state of South Australia ahead of last October's trade period, but is believed to be happy at the Gabba and last December purchased a three-bedroom house in the eastern Brisbane suburb Camp Hill.

AFL.com.au understands Mayes has informed the Lions that he does not want to open contract talks until about round eight of the home and away season, preferring to focus for now on returning to fitness and form after enduring an injury-disrupted 2015 season.

Zorko re-signs but Lions chasing more of their young guns

Speaking to The Australian, Mayes, who has been named as part of a near full-strength Lions squad for tomorrow pre-season game against St Kilda in Mackay, admitted the lure of returning to his home in South Australia had become a significant factor for him over the past 12 months.

“It’s nothing to do with me having any issue with the club (in Brisbane) but certainly I would be lying if I said that I hadn’t thought about going back (to South Australia),” he said.

“The reasons are personal than anything to do with my football. The coaching staff at the Lions is outstanding and there is a really exciting group of young guys coming through together at the moment.

“There is a really good feeling around the place about the direction (coach) Justin Leppitsch and the rest of the football department is taking this team and of course, in a perfect world I would love to be part of that.

“But as I said there are strong factors outside of football that will play a part in my decision … but I am not getting too caught up in that yet. There is no rush.”

I really hope we never bother with taking a south Australian boy in the
top ten ever again
Seems like a waste of time

Sounds like the sort of quotes the player management team release as a negotiating tactic. Let's not lose our heads people.
very true, and a lot of water to go under the bridge but I think those were direct quotes weren't they?

Sounds like the sort of quotes the player management team release as a negotiating tactic. Let's not lose our heads people.

I'd like to see Martins potential trade articles and his comments compared to Mayes' comments.

*BUMP*

What's happened to Mayes?

Was he really that bad last night against North?

TBH, I didn't notice him doing much wrong but then again, I can't really remember him doing anything much right....... Or "influential" (maybe that's a better word)?

Has he become the invisible man?

*BUMP*

What's happened to Mayes?

Was he really that bad last night against North?

Yeah he was. Work rate was insipid. Jogging around with no apparent intent to attack or defend. It really was heartbreaking to watch. I fear he has checked out mentally.

Yeah he was. Work rate was insipid. Jogging around with no apparent intent to attack or defend. It really was heartbreaking to watch. I fear he has checked out mentally.

After round 2 o_O

May just need a bag of 3 nice goals either in the seniors or reserves...

All the talk this pre-season is that he put in a belter; surely that doesn't dissipate in the space of 2 weeks :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly before.

A lot of people in the stands couldn't quite believe how poor he was. It was absolutely stark.

Well, if your assessment is correct, he should be dropped.

However, I'm more than just a bit wary about the opinions of a lot of the "people" in the stands.

I've been sitting in those stands for over 20 years and I think a lot of those "people" know more about the aerodynamics of hot air balloons than they know about football.

I'd like a nice crisp $20 note for every time I've heard " JUST KICK IT!!!!!" when it's perfectly obvious that ''just kicking it" would be the worst of all available options.

Mayes probably did have a vanilla game but we've invested so much in him , surely he needs a few more chances before we toss him on the scrap heap.

The big tells for me were the several times he had a large head start, but was beaten by multiple players running back to fill defensive voids.

I love the guy and just hope he's in a temporary rut - but he's not doing a heap right at the moment :/

However, I'm more than just a bit wary about the opinions of a lot of the "people" in the stands.

I've been sitting in those stands for over 20 years and I think a lot of those "people" know more about the aerodynamics of hot air balloons than they know about football.

I'd like a nice crisp $20 note for every time I've heard " JUST KICK IT!!!!!" when it's perfectly obvious that ''just kicking it" would be the worst of all available options.

Mayes probably did have a vanilla game but we've invested so much in him , surely he needs a few more chances before we toss him on the scrap heap.

Yeah but when he's actually playing worse than last year in a more attacking role than the defensive one last year you run out of patience.

Needs to be dropped, not setting a great example for the young group we have and has zero pride in his performance. He should be embarrassed that a second gamer in Schache showed 100 times more desire, work rate and intent than him. Leppa mentioned that effort and not errors would see players lose their spots, on that basis he shouldn't be in the team this week.

As frustrating as it is seeing players making errors, you prefer that every day of the week if they are genuinely having a crack.

My opinion wasn't formed based on the thoughts of others, but these were people who are pretty considered with their analysis. Not the boorish "Just kick it! Oh who was that to?" types.

And I could have handled a vanilla game from Mayes. This wasn't vanilla. It was unflavoured and no-effort. He just didn't seem to care, and that is a criticism I am very, very reluctant and uneasy about levelling at a player.

When Leppa said in his presser that "effort" will be his guiding principle in team selection going forward, I have a feeling Mayes was at the forefront of his mind.

My opinion wasn't formed based on the thoughts of others, but these were people who are pretty considered with their analysis. Not the boorish "Just kick it! Oh who was that to?" types.

And I could have handled a vanilla game from Mayes. This wasn't vanilla. It was unflavoured and no-effort. He just didn't seem to care, and that is a criticism I am very, very reluctant and uneasy about levelling at a player.

When Leppa said in his presser that "effort" will be his guiding principle in team selection going forward, I have a feeling Mayes was at the forefront of his mind.
Agreed the effort not there. I am reluctant to be too critical of the individual given indications there is a lot going on for him outside football. if his heart's not in it, perhaps it would be best for Sam to have break from football rather than to be dropped?

Hard to see how he could be performing his role, must be dropped on form if we are serious about improving. There is most likely other issues that seem to be affecting him but we cannot players who do not put in the effort. Hopefully he can return to form soon and hopefully it is with us.

It's hard to find any redeeming features of his game at the moment. He is so moderately endowed (speed, height, skill) that if he doesn't go hard at it he offers very little. The run past fumbles he makes each week are killing us.

There's something about South Australians and our club. That's three high draft picks from South Australia who have followed the same career path once they've come to the lions. That being decide they don't want to play for the club, lose interest and just plod along until they're gone. Docherty and Yeo still put in great effort in their final year from memory. Polec didn't when he did make it on the field and now Mayes is following in Aish's lead. Frustrating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back