Traded Sam Mayes (2012-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Credit where it's due. He's been a bit of a whipping boy of late but I thought he showed some real endeavor against Gold Coast. He showed some signs of an improved inside game and tackled well. Both of which probably come down to his confidence. Kicking let him down, but he sure as hell wasn't the only one with that problem.

Credit where it's due. He's been a bit of a whipping boy of late but I thought he showed some real endeavor against Gold Coast. He showed some signs of an improved inside game and tackled well. Both of which probably come down to his confidence. Kicking let him down, but he sure as hell wasn't the only one with that problem.
Credit to Leppa as well - he has shown faith in Sam, Lester and Ro Bewick and all are slowly but surely adding something to the team without joining the whipping boy brigade.

We pick him every week so being they know more than us gives me some hope.
He showed a bit of what they know last night I reckon. Very good effort from Mayes, apart from the missed goal and some other less than precise kicking. Effort was certainly there.

Credit to Leppa as well - he has shown faith in Sam, Lester and Ro Bewick and all are slowly but surely adding something to the team without joining the whipping boy brigade.
Reckon it was one of RoBew's best games and if Lester had kicked straight we would be lauding him. Great 'tall' option up forward when we needed him.

I thought he was disappointing again live but on the replay he was way more busy than I remembered.

Great to see.

He is still way down on confidence though... it is really affecting his decision making.

Hope the form trajectory continues to improve.

I thought our tackling was vastly better and Mayes in particular showed a lot better intent there. Really got into the fray instead of holding back as he has been want to do.

I thought he was disappointing again live but on the replay he was way more busy than I remembered.

Great to see.

He is still way down on confidence though... it is really affecting his decision making.

Hope the form trajectory continues to improve.
He has obviously improved since round 1, but I still think he doesn't go in when it's his turn. Not sure if it's his role but it really frustrates me when he waits for opposition to take possession of a loose ball before attempting to tackle. Overall it was a decent game without being a good game IMO. Hopefully he continues this improvement.

What role did he play out of interest?

Definitely a defensive wing/7th defender role who presses up to half forward flank when the ball is in our fwd 50.

It allowed him to play more outside but it exposes him to a lot of one v one contested situations which he needs to improve. Still, he is only 21.

He certainly seems happy enough. There was a great shot of him lifting a teammate in the air(can't remember who it was sorry) after a goal. If he leaves, I'm content it's more a personal thing. As much as he's had his short comings this season, he's climbing his way back. Kudos to Leppa for persisting with him. Confidence is a funny thing. Sams has been down, but it's promising seeing improvements with each game he plays. Hope the rise continues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Somebody had to make way for Rocky. Really Mayes was the obvious choice. Doesn't mean his better form against the Suns wasn't appreciated, just that he was probably first cab off the rank both in terms of his overall form and role in the team. The bigger issue for me is how he reacts when back in the reserves.

Relative to his previous form he had a good game vs the Suns. But in reality he was not up to scratch. Unfortunate for him but he doesn't have the credits to keep getting gifted games yet.

Reserves Wrap - Aspley Hornets - 23/04/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

Returned after being dropped from the seniors. He had a terrific attitude when he came back – played as an inside mid working on his contested ground balls and his tackling in and around contest which was his goal for the game. Certainly his tackling has improved. I think he laid 6-8 tackles in the game as an inside mid which was a great result. There is still room for improvement there. He missed a couple of ground balls he could have taken but was certainly one of our best on the day.

Reading this thread you can see Mayes' form has trended nicely since the start of the year. His last few weeks have been really solid. Just needs to get cleaner with his disposal. I think if it was say Claye or Harwood we'd be praising them. But because there's contract speculation (and granted his prior form was ordinary) we're overly critical. Keep it up, Sammy

The improvement in his form has been pleasing but I was even more encouraged by the venom he showed when the push and shove kicked off yesterday.

I have been reading his contained body language as a bad sign lately but it seems he still has the fire and love for his teammates.

The improvement in his form has been pleasing but I was even more encouraged by the venom he showed when the push and shove kicked off yesterday.

I have been reading his contained body language as a bad sign lately but it seems he still has the fire and love for his teammates.

Somewhere I have read/heard that he loves the Club and his team-mates and enjoys Brisbane but there are "other issues" that may see him leave at the end of the season.

I have no idea what these "other issues" may be????:huh:

Any ideas???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back