AFLW Sam Virgo joins as assistant coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

PORT ADELAIDE has appointed All-Australian defender Sam Virgo as an AFLW assistant coach for the upcoming season.

She will fill the vacant position left by former assistant coach Hamish Hartlett, who started as a development coach with the club’s AFL side in November.

Originally hailing from the Adelaide Hills, Virgo is relishing the chance to move home from Queensland, where she has remained since retiring from AFLW at the end of the 2021 season.

Shortly after retirement, she was selected as one of eight women to take part in the BHP Women’s Coaching Academy, where participants achieved their Level 3 Coaching Course and undertook various development opportunities.

Virgo later took the reins of the Queensland boys NAB AFL under-17 championships team, making history as the first female senior coach to do so.

The mother of three has also been part of the coaching panel for the men's Coorparoo Kings division 1 side in the QFA over the past two seasons.

"I feel excited and thrilled for this opportunity," Virgo said.

“I look forward to further contributing to the AFLW foundations of this proud and historic club by drawing on my previous experience in an expansion environment.

“Loz (Arnell) is very measured, and one of her strengths is her ability to apply perspective and connect with people. She also says it how it is. I look forward to being in an environment she is creating and adding value whilst learning from the coaching team and further developing my coaching craft.”

In Virgo’s playing days, the 35-year-old recorded 29 games spanning a five-season career with Brisbane and the Gold Coast SUNS, however missed 2018 after sustaining an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury.

Her on-field career overlapped with Arnell’s, with the pair playing together at the Lions in 2019.

"We are thrilled to welcome Sam to Port Adelaide in 2023," head of AFLW Juliet Haslam said.

"She will bring fantastic knowledge and energy to our club and we’re pleased to add another former AFLW player to our coaching ranks to support Lauren and the rest of the coaching group.”

The remaining AFLW coaching panel positions will be confirmed in the coming weeks

So with Hamish gone there is now * all AFL experience on the AFLW coaching panel? Sam does not have much coaching experience and only 29 games of AFLW experience. I would have been happier with a more experienced one for one replacement for Hamish Hartlett.

So with Hamish gone there is now * all AFL experience on the AFLW coaching panel? Sam does not have much coaching experience and only 29 games of AFLW experience. I would have been happier with a more experienced one for one replacement for Hamish Hartlett.
Goo-goo gaga, I'm a baby

Remove this Banner Ad

Back