School Laws

Remove this Banner Ad

Fletched

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Is it really legal for schools to make students that are adults stay on the property during lunch?

This is coming in at our school for year 11 and 12 students over the next 2 years so it won't effect me but it makes me wonder whether they can legally force you to buy their canteen food.

If you are there under the schools rules, then they have every right to enforce those rules.

Technically though, can they force anybody to remain on the property? I mean teachers can't detain kids, but they can provide consequences should they leave. Any student that doesn't want to stay on school grounds, post compulsory age, can just have enrollment terminated.

If you leave school, get hit by a car or kidnapped by some lunatic or if you so much as get a hangnail, you can bet your left and right nut that your parents would be suing the pants off the school so to speak.

Thats why you arent allowed to leave school. Regardless of whether you're 18 or 8.

They have been for years. Every second kid seems to be allergic to something these days, generally seems to be nuts and eggs.
yep, has been for ages...especially nuts
What, like home made lunches, for real?

I'm not that old and I never encountered it. My mum was way into healthy eating, so all I got was fancy sandwiches, fruit and nuts.

Anyway, I guess it makes it harder for parents. Half the kids probably end up with shitty canteen food or rollups because of crazy school policies.

What, like home made lunches, for real?

I'm not that old and I never encountered it. My mum was way into healthy eating, so all I got was fancy sandwiches, fruit and nuts.

Anyway, I guess it makes it harder for parents. Half the kids probably end up with shitty canteen food or rollups because of crazy school policies.
peanut paste, nutella etc I think if you have a genuine nut allergy, even being close to nuts can be a hazzard.

I always make son's lunch - usually a meat and salad wrap or roll with fruit and home made slices/muffins etc

peanut paste, nutella etc I think if you have a genuine nut allergy, even being close to nuts can be a hazzard.

I always make son's lunch - usually a meat and salad wrap or roll with fruit and home made slices/muffins etc
Ok, so we aren't talking crazy stuff like Cannada and their strict or unusual district by district guidelines, where parents can be fined or pay the cost of supplementing or replacing certain food items?

Nuts is cool though, but Herne Hill Hammer said no gluten, eggs, dairy etc. I didn't know how serious he was being.

Ok, so we aren't talking crazy stuff like Cannada and their strict or unusual district by district guidelines, where parents can be fined or pay the cost of supplementing or replacing certain food items?

Nuts is cool though, but Herne Hill Hammer said no gluten, eggs, dairy etc. I didn't know how serious he was being.
it seems a little less serious now my son is in year 10, but lunch boxes were heavily monitored when he was in primary school

Stuff like gluten free shouldn't apply to packed lunches but nuts I understand. Even smelling peanut butter can be very dangerous. It's hardly a staple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not my problem if some kid has an allergy. His parents should do the parenting and ask him not to touch the s**t. Why should my kids not be allowed to have something awesome like peanut butter because someone might be allergic.

Not my problem if some kid has an allergy. His parents should do the parenting and ask him not to touch the s**t. Why should my kids not be allowed to have something awesome like peanut butter because someone might be allergic.

Being in the same room as peanut butter can send some kids into an allergic reaction.

So you're happy for some kid to die just so your kid can have peanut butter?
ok mete

I didn't say I was happy to let that happen at all. It is not my responsibility for someone elses child though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back