News Scott Lycett signs with Port Districts

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how having no Lycett would've helped us at stoppages though. Lycett didn't have his greatest night but what was the alternative? We had Ladhams too, but obviously he was poor too when he played in the ruck. After that what were our options? Dixon, who just so happened to be an all australian forward that year, so we would've been robbing Peter to pay Paul in a big way there.

We just got beaten by a bloody good team that night by 6 points, out of all our prelim final exits over the AFL journey that is the one that probably angers me the least about how we went about it. 2021 it was there for the taking and we were absolutely pathetic that night, and 2014 we should've definitely won that but we burnt way too many chances in front of goals, and how we didn't convert at least another GF from those 2002-03 teams is beyond me.

Had we won the 2020 prelim i don't think there are any guarantees we wouldn't s**t the bed against Geelong up in Queensland like we had done earlier in that year either.

We're basically even money to s**t the bed in any given final so that's fair.

I'm not sure how Ladhams would have gone as the #1 ruck, I just know that Lycett had a disaster of a game and has had several other big game disasters since. He plays some decent physical negator style ruck games in between but he's so unreliable. Like the whole team I guess.

Didn't Hinkley drop Scooter in his first year here after he publicly criticized our training intensity compared to the Eagles? We've become St Kilda. A fun place to ply your trade.

After he refused to play forward against GWS. The game we lost by 1 point when Nick Haynes and Phil Davis took 23 intercept marks between them.

Heading back to Thevenard

SCOTT LYCETT, as every ruckman should do, is completing the trek around the circle. He is going back to where it all started: Thevenard. Postcode 5690 on the Eyre Peninsula, population 563 and Magpies in football with a most recognisable black-and-white jumper.

"I am definitely playing for Thevenard; no doubt about that," says Lycett, now retired from the big leagues after 146 AFL games - 75 with Port Adelaide after 71 at West Coast.

From Thevenard to the big time, Lycett retires content

Didn't Hinkley drop Scooter in his first year here after he publicly criticized our training intensity compared to the Eagles? We've become St Kilda. A fun place to ply your trade.
Scotty was on the outer for some reason, probably mouthing off at Hinkley, when we played North Melbourne and Ben Brown kicked a lazy 10. No probs thought Kenny, Ladhams will do a job on Goldstein and we will romp it in and set us up for a place in the eight. DID NOT HAPPEN. Meanwhile Scotty was collecting Magarey Medal points whilst playing for the 2’s back in Adelaide.

Scotty was on the outer for some reason, probably mouthing off at Hinkley, when we played North Melbourne and Ben Brown kicked a lazy 10. No probs thought Kenny, Ladhams will do a job on Goldstein and we will romp it in and set us up for a place in the eight. DID NOT HAPPEN. Meanwhile Scotty was collecting Magarey Medal points whilst playing for the 2’s back in Adelaide.
Saw him at Woodville oval one day with his Dad watching the Maggies. Can't remember if he was injured or suspended, but he was out there supporting the magoos.

Top bloke. So much selfless time spent helping others quietly in the background, from his teenage years (flying back from national champs in Perth for SA to deliver the eulogy for his best mate killed in a car crash) right up to the end of his AFL career.

Sadly injuries caught up with him in the finish, and he was a hobbling, ineffectual mess in the end. But never stopped being the warrior for his team.

Utmost respect. Well played Scooter. It's those type of people that make you sad when they leave, irrespective of whether they were a champion player or a journeyman. They are your "heart and soul" players every club covets.

Hope he jags a few flags with the Thevenard Magpies.

Heading back to Thevenard

SCOTT LYCETT, as every ruckman should do, is completing the trek around the circle. He is going back to where it all started: Thevenard. Postcode 5690 on the Eyre Peninsula, population 563 and Magpies in football with a most recognisable black-and-white jumper.

"I am definitely playing for Thevenard; no doubt about that," says Lycett, now retired from the big leagues after 146 AFL games - 75 with Port Adelaide after 71 at West Coast.

From Thevenard to the big time, Lycett retires content
Might finally get a hit out to advantage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is obviously no guarantee any official of a local club in the Port area would be a Port supporter, but that `Port Power' BS unfortunately has fruit tingle barracker written all over it!
Or is reflective of our previous branding and now being reinforced by the return of "Port Power" branded merch this year.

media: Port Power
Ports: You can't use those words. You have no right to them.
Also Ports: hey port power fam bam, hold that teal merch up.

Or is reflective of our previous branding and now being reinforced by the return of "Port Power" branded merch this year.

cONneCTED!!!

There is obviously no guarantee any official of a local club in the Port area would be a Port supporter, but that `Port Power' BS unfortunately has fruit tingle barracker written all over it!

I think it's ultimately just reflective of the low standard of social media post you'd expect from an amateur sports club and it was probably made by a committee member who wouldn't know enough to know that Port Power is an insult or even incorrect.

Our early branding is mostly a product of it's time but has a LOT to answer for.

Does anyone really care anymore? The reason we fought to delineate between Port Adelaide and Port Power was because the former identified us as the grassroots football club dating back more than a century whilst the latter identified us as a brand new franchise without that history or tradition. The club itself has now fully embraced being a franchise and is basically unrecognisable from what it was barely a decade ago let alone further back. I find myself caring less and less about these types of issues because the club itself doesn't care.

Does anyone really care anymore? The reason we fought to delineate between Port Adelaide and Port Power was because the former identified us as the grassroots football club dating back more than a century whilst the latter identified us as a brand new franchise without that history or tradition. The club itself has now fully embraced being a franchise and is basically unrecognisable from what it was barely a decade ago let alone further back. I find myself caring less and less about these types of issues because the club itself doesn't care.
Did we ever really need to fight? we were never Port Power Football Club it was just the nick.

Koch doesn't care, but he's not the club. We will get the licence back and set about correcting some of the wrongs of the last decade, with the Crows getting their licence back probably being the trigger.

I think it's important to push the traditional side of things as much as possible. Going to games and seeing a sea of PB guernseys tells me that the supporter base hasn't lost it's appetite for Port Adelaide, even the ones who are super pro-Hinkley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back