Player Watch Scott Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

“Veterans” doesn’t work that way anymore. It’s a flat discount of about $100-150k from memory.

He meant to put half his salary in with the coaching staff, given Pendles’ reputation as an on-field coach.

Even at the time it was a stupid thing to say. We were getting pumped, but Pendles has been good for 18-25 disposals almost every week.

Over our first month he averaged 21 touches a game in a team that was mostly struggling. Over the last month, he's averaged 26 disposals and kicked 3 goals in a team going well. He's definitely in better form recently, but to suggest he was "done" at the start of the year was pure engagement farming.

Yeah hats off to Kane though for putting his hands up and admitting he got it wrong, as much as I love that he got it wrong!

I just don't know why we’re so quick to retire someone. Let’s just sit back and enjoy what’s left of the GOAT

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In his presser Fly was very “not gunna talk about the future” about Pendlebury.

Dunno why, but it gave me “No certainty to be at Collingwood next year” vibes.
While I've pensioned off a couple of oldies and time waits for no one he could go 2 more and get the record. He's our most structurally important player. Given what's coming thorough and list demographic and structure club is stuffed when he goes

I think Kornes was right, 8 weeks ago Pendlebury looked past it. He was playing for frees, which decent players don’t do (they don’t need to do) and he wasn’t impacting games. He’s playing great footy now.

He’ll play on next year, the only question is whether that would be at Collingwood?

Given he wants to go into coaching, it would seem best for him to do a Sam Mitchell and go play somewhere else to experience a different environment. If he’s got his heart set on somewhere in particular, we’d unlikely get much for him (as per Sam Mitchell trade)

Also, we might end up in a situation where he wants a 2 year contract (which he got last time), but we won’t give it to him - although no doubt there are other teams that would.

I think Kornes was right, 8 weeks ago Pendlebury looked past it. He was playing for frees, which decent players don’t do (they don’t need to do) and he wasn’t impacting games.

He’ll play on next year, the only question is whether that would be at Collingwood?

Given he wants to go into coaching, it would seem best for him to do a Sam Mitchell and go play somewhere else to experience a different environment. If he’s got his heart set on somewhere in particular, we’d unlikely get much for him (as per Sam Mitchell trade)
???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Kornes was right, 8 weeks ago Pendlebury looked past it. He was playing for frees, which decent players don’t do (they don’t need to do) and he wasn’t impacting games. He’s playing great footy now.

Also, we might end up in a situation where he wants a 2 year contract (which he got last time), but we won’t give it to him - although no doubt there are other teams that would.
I don’t think there’s a single thing you said there that was remotely correct .

Except he will play on next year.

Cornes was wrong. Pendles probably shouldn’t have played round 0 or at least should have been sub but he was rushed back after a preseason injury. But at no time did he look past it.

He will retire a Collingwood player

He doesn’t need to change clubs to start his coaching career until after he has retired as a player. Even then it’s debatable.

His contract will sort itself out but he won’t demand a two year deal.

Last edited:
Pendles' on-field performance as a footballer is cream at the moment. His value as an on-field coach is dividend enough for his salary and spot on the list. Fly said in the presser that Harvey Harrison should call Pendles (after he rolled his ankle last week) to get advice on how to prepare. That alone is what a professional like Pendles can offer a club. North Melbourne missed the same opportunity when they delisted Harvey. You simply don't get to 400+ games without being absolutely professional and dedicated to your craft. That discipline needs to be taught (by example) to the younger cohort. The leauge is littered with raw football talent but only a few make it to 200+ games and being professional and dedicating yourself to your craft is what gets you there. You don't throw that knowledge, experience and mentorship away.
I'd happily sign Pendles to another two year deal.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

He started slowly, like nearly every single player on our list did in the first couple of rounds. I thought the way commentators and some supporters spoke about Pendles was highly disrespectful at the time.

I can't imagine him he'd ever play for another club and he's never given that impression, in fact quite the opposite.

He's always been open about his desire to coach and always said it would likely start at another club. But if he chose to start with us in a coaching role, that would be great also.

If he wants to play on next year, I'd expect the club would offer him a 1 year extension & he'd be more than happy with that. But if he decides to retire from playing football, that's his decision to make when he chooses to make it.

Pendles' on-field performance as a footballer is cream at the moment. His value as an on-field coach is dividend enough for his salary and spot on the list. Fly said in the presser that Harvey Harrison should call Pendles (after he rolled his ankle last week) to get advice on how to prepare. That alone is what a professional like Pendles can offer a club. North Melbourne missed the same opportunity when they delisted Harvey. You simply don't get to 400+ games without being absolutely professional and dedicated to your craft. That discipline needs to be taught (by example) to the younger cohort. The leauge is littered with raw football talent but only a few make it to 200+ games and being professional and dedicating yourself to your craft is what gets you there. You don't throw that knowledge, experience and mentorship away.
I'd happily sign Pendles to another two year deal.
Agree, was thinking the same as you regarding Fly's suggestion to HH - someone like Pendles would be invaluable to a team like North and if I was in their management team I'd be offering Pendles the earth to join them on a 2-4 year contract that transitions to coaching. Can also see Brendan Gale recruiting Pendles - awesome person to get the culture of the new club right. There'll be a lot of competition for our Pendles.

Given he wants to go into coaching, it would seem best for him to do a Sam Mitchell and go play somewhere else to experience a different environment.
Possible, but some differences:

1. Mitchell played under Clarko most of his career. Pendles has already played under a range of different styles: Malthouse, Buckley and Fly (with full turnover of assistant coaches). Less to gain playing elsewhere 1-2 years just for experience.

2. Clarko Hawks were pushing vets out of the nest at that time - (Lewis, Hodge). It was reported that Clarko initiated the WCE trade (under the guise of helping Mitchell, possibly some paranoia/defending his turf from a handover). Doesn't seem that they had a great relationship.

It's possible Pendles starts his coaching career elsewhere but if the club/coaches value him highly as a player/on field coach (which they seem to) then I'd assume (hope) he'll remain a Pies player till retirement (whenever he wants).

Last edited:
Bloke has form with bizarre lines of thought.

Pendles will finish up either end of this or end of next year, having only ever played for Collingwood.

Sure, the Collingwood nuffie in me hopes he stays a one club player.

But what I want isn’t the same thing as what I think might happen.

As much as I hope he stays at Collingwood, I suspect that there is more benefit to him going elsewhere.

• As huge as his value is to us, his value to some other teams is more.
  • As much as he can gain valuable input into his coaching ambitions by staying, he can get more input into those ambitions by going to a new club with new coaches who do things differently, and have a stack of new young players to play alongside.
  • I love Pendles, but I haven’t seen anything in him over the years to indicate that he’s a romantic.

Last edited:
Guarantee that I will cry when he runs out for his 400th (hope it is at MCG) and again the day he retires.
We have several games in a row at the g so even if he misses a game or two, it’ll fall there. Would be unlucky if it ended up at the SCG which is our only non MCG game in the last 8 rounds!

As much as I hope he stays at Collingwood, I suspect that there is more benefit to him going elsewhere.

• As much as he can gain valuable input into his coaching ambitions by staying, he can get more input into those ambitions by going to a new club with new coaches who do things differently, and have a stack of new young players to play alongside.
  • I love Pendles, but I haven’t seen anything in him over the years to indicate that he’s a romantic.
He will retire a one club player. 100 percent. It was bad enough you suggested it once without putting your head up to be shot at a second time.

What he does after retirement and with which club is a totally seperate topic.

This is crazy. Maybe just stick to being a collingwood nuffie?

Doubling down was a bold choice

He will retire a one club player. 100 percent. It was bad enough you suggested it once without putting your head up to be shot at a second time.

What he does after retirement and with which club is a totally seperate topic.

Footy is not so definitive.

It wasn’t long ago that you couldn’t have convinced a Collingwood supporter that Brodie Grundy wouldn’t be a one club player. Of course people conveniently forget they ever felt that way and will instead conjure up reasons why it was obvious to them why he was destined to go.

Ditto Collingwood’s first native rising star Jayden Stephenson.

Ditto Travis Cloke.

Do I want Pendlebury to go elsewhere? No
Do I think he will go elsewhere? No idea
Do I think it is possible he will go elsewhere? Absolutely!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back