Retired Sean Dempster

Remove this Banner Ad

Code:
Pos Number Player       Age    Games    Price          2009            2008            2007       
                        DT      SC       Played DT Avg    SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg
DEF 24 DEMPSTER, Sean    26    82    $242,800 $241,000 9    54.3    45.5    19    52.9    58.0    14(Syd)    47.2    52.3

Based on his one game for the year, Sean D has come from nowhere to be in our best 22. He's quicker than he was last year, when Rossco obviously brought him back from his knee reco too quickly.

We lost absolutely nothing when Bakes went off - Dempster had Johnson covered beautifully and he could be a surprise choice to play on Jonno in September while we send Bakes to Byrnes or the snorter.

He's quicker than he was last year, when Rossco obviously brought him back from his knee reco too quickly.

Agree - no doubt for mine, Fez. And played out of position in the GF too (he is not a natural forward). Ross obviously rates him very highly.

Aside from the 1%'ers like the spoils (he had 4 on Friday) and tackles (another 4), I like his ability to match up on different opponents. And at one stage in the match he had it 20m out from the Geelong goals with not much on and just went "wham" with a 55m kick to a teammate on the wing.

He has some deficiencies in his game, but I've got no idea why he is disliked by some Saints fans (along with Eddy who also seems to cop a fair bit, and Gears only just stopped getting bagged).

I'm obviously on Kosi's case, but that's not a matter of me thinking he's s**t or not in our best 22 - I just think people over-rate him. Very different to a Dempster where some genuinely believe he cannot make a contribution to the 22.:confused:

People quickly forget that up until he did his knee in 2008 we were thinking that Schneider was the steak knives in that trade. He was a gun and did his knee at the worst possible time. Not only missing out on finals but then missing the first half of 2009 and barely having any oppurtunity to make his way into the side. He eventually did but even then couldn't get back to his best just a year after a knee reco.

Hope he proves a few people wrong in the next few weeks.

http://www.saints.com.au/season2010/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/100767/default.aspx

When he decided to start playing AFL football as a 15 year old living in Mallacoota, Sean Dempster needed to travel for around one and a half hours just to get to training.

Sean’s father Graham, who played 64 games for South Melbourne during the 70’s.

Dempster played soccer for most of his youth but changed to football when his soccer side in Mallacoota folded, due to lack of players.

Sean describes his role in the team as having more of a lockdown role than players like Fisher and Gilbert, who are able to run off their players more to attack the ball.

Implementing a new pre-match routine, involving a couple of laps around the internal carpark at Etihad Stadium. “I put the headphones in so at least I can’t hear people while I am running, as I am sure they think it is a bit weird” he laughed.

After spending so much time with the conditioning staff at the Club, Dempster is now pursuing a possible career in the area and is studying Exercise Science at ACU.

But with only 10 matches left before he is set to reach 100 AFL games, it seems the quiet boy from Mallacoota still has a healthy career ahead of him.

That's the second time this year that Seany D has stitched up Johnson. When Baker went off about half time in the h&a game against Geelong this year, Dempster just tore Johnson up. And we all know what he did to him on Friday.

Does his best work when shadowing a player for the night in my opinion.

Against Sydney would be the prefect matchup for a Dennis Lane or a Higgins/Josh Hill from the Bulldogs.

Does his best work when shadowing a player for the night in my opinion.

Against Sydney would be the prefect matchup for a Dennis Lane or a Higgins/Josh Hill from the Bulldogs.
Don't have to worry about Higgins, he's gone for the year

Don't have to worry about Higgins, he's gone for the year

This is true. Hoping the Dogs win on Sat night now. Can't see them troubling us as much as Sydney with their outs.

http://www.saints.com.au/season2010/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/100767/default.aspx

When he decided to start playing AFL football as a 15 year old living in Mallacoota, Sean Dempster needed to travel for around one and a half hours just to get to training.

That 1.5 hrs would not have been a city 1.5 hrs where you are stuck in traffic for most of it. He played for Snowy Rovers therefore it was a 150km (300km return) for a home game and upto 250km (500km return) to away games.
That is dedication and I have also heard that he is respected at the club for his professionalism in the way he prepares himself for games and dedication in overcoming injuries.

Despite his success Sean Dempster takes nothing for granted[/B

Sydney picked Sean Dempster under the father-son rule with selection number 34 in the 2002 National Draft, he was 191 centimetres tall and weighed 82 kilograms when drafted as an 18 year old. Dempster grew up in Mallacoota, close to the border of Victoria and New South Wales, he was recruited from Snowy Rovers and the Gippsland Under-18s. Sean’s dad Graham Dempster played 64 games for South Melbourne in the 1970s.

As a junior Dempster was focussed on playing soccer and he didn’t start playing football for a club until he was 15. Dempster needed to travel one and a half ways to training from his home town of Mallacoota to his club the Snowy Rovers in Orbost.

The profile in the AFL Record guide to season 2003 said Dempster “can play as a key forward but also possessed the mobility in junior ranks to play midfield.”1

Dempster played one match for Sydney in the 2003 Wizard Home Loans Cup and played every game for the Swans reserves during the home and away season. Whilst he played primarily in defense Dempster’s height together with his athleticism enabled him to play on opposition forwards of varying sizes.

READ ENTIRE ARTICLE: http://truesainters.wordpress.com/2...cess-sean-dempster-takes-nothing-for-granted/

Re: 2011 Player Reviews

SEAN DEMPSTER

Sean Dempster played all 23 games for the Saints in 2011 and produced his finest season to date. Dempster finished 3rd in Trevor Barker Award, which also included the unbelievable feat of polling in every single match. Sean also took home the Robert Harvey Most Professional Player Award.

Sean+Dempster+AFL+Second+Elimination+Final+hyFfnvPbyf5l.jpg

In 2011 Dempster finished the season averaging 14 disposals, 6.1 handballs, 3.2 tackles and 4 marks per game. Dempster became a integral part of the Saints team in 2011 and his effectiveness in shutting out the games best players has seen him become the Saints number 1 shutdown player, but was arguably the best tagger in the AFL during 2011. He shut some of the biggest names in the game out. Brent Harvey, Ryan OKeefe, Andrew Embley, Stevie Johnson, Hayden Ballantyne, Dane Swan are just some his victims that have been labelled “DEMPSTERED” by Saints supporters.

Sean Dempster

Along with Jarryn Geary and the interminable Lenny Hayes, I can’t see any Saints fan being disappointed with what has been Dempster’s finest season to date. Whilst his fine work was not enough to push us into the finals, it culminated in his selection in the back pocket of the All-Australian team.

Known for his meticulous preparation, he also took home the Robert Harvey Most Professional Player award for the second year running, having played every game in the past two seasons.

Standing up in the absence of a KPB, his most visible improvements were his more aggressive rebounding run and kicking, as well as his contested marking.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2012/08/27/dempster-finds-freedom-under-watters/

This improvement he credits to Watters’ faith in his abilities. Giving Dempster greater autonomy as an individual player, he no longer featured as simply another cog in the Saints’ defensive unit.

“I enjoyed doing that and doing my bit for the team…But it’s good to be off the leash a little bit and be able to use a bit of natural ability.”

Ave. Stats per game | 2011 | 2012
\Kicks|7.9|12.4
\Handballs|6.1|5.2
\Disposals|14.0|17.7
\Marks|4.0|7.0
\Tackles|3.2|2.0
\Contested poss.|4.7|5.6
\Uncontested poss.|9.1|11.3
\Effective disp.|75.7%|80.2%
\Contested Marks|0.4|1.2
\Rebound 50s|2.5|3.3
\One Percenters|3.8|4.6
This kind of wholesale improvement is especially commendable for a now 28 year old. It’s become increasingly clear how this guy managed to find his way into five grand finals. He is one of the greatest ordinary players of this generation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the articles over the past 12 months:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/st...e-in-his-ability/story-fnelctok-1226476577358

"I've had years where I've felt like I contributed to the team but probably didn't have the stats and recognition that comes along with it,''

"This year I've probably been able to play a bit more of an offensive role within the team and that was my way of being able to contribute.

"St Kilda's been really good for me. The move down is something that has probably benefited my career and given it a bit of longevity.

"Where I've come from, I think making a team like this was more a dream rather than reality. I suppose to put a year together that was worthy of making the All-Australian team is something that I'll be truly grateful for for the rest of my life and something that I'll really cherish.''

"As great as an All-Australian honour is, and I'm really grateful for, I'd rather for the St Kilda Football Club and myself to have another opportunity at winning that premiership.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/good-man-to-have-back-20120810-24030.html

Dempster does a good line in self-deprecation. For instance, this is how he describes the 2007 trade that resulted in him and Adam Schneider crossing from Sydney to St Kilda: '''Schneids' was the big ticket. I was the steak knives.''

Watters remembers the moment when it clicked for Dempster, 28. It was an intraclub practice match in the pre-season and the Saint came out at the Sherrin, unmanned.

Dempster stayed true to his defensive tenets and punched the football. Dumbfounded, Watters stopped the game. ''I remember going over to him and I said, 'When you punch the ball like that, Sean, where does it go?' He looked at me quite blankly. I said, 'I'm serious, where does it go?' He said, 'It goes into dispute.' I said, 'Correct.' ''

(Watters said) "When you mark, we can attack. It's helped.''

Watters "He's been encouraged to use his legs at the right time. He's very fit. He's been encouraged to run. He's also a very penetrating kick."

"He'd be one of the first picked every week for me, I know that.''

He studies science at Deakin University, and is known for intense preparation. Watters ranks him the club's best-prepared player.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-weight-20121208-2b2fn.html?skin=text-only

''For the first time, I feel like there's expectation on my shoulders, so I've come into this (2013) pre-season just wanting to work harder knowing that. Even though I'm a little bit more confident in my game and what I can offer the team, there's always that unknown of how you're going to go in the upcoming season. The last two years, I've felt like I've been building, growing into the game, and it's something that I really don't want to let go. I don't want to just leave it there.''

''I'm quite a reserved person, and it's something both Scott and my line coach Danny Sexton have mentioned during this pre-season, that I need to be able to provide a bit of knowledge and support for the other players,''

In 2012 Sean Dempster:
  • Ranked 15th in AFL for Effective Kicks
  • Ranked 17th in AFL for Long Kicks
  • Ranked 5th in AFL for Uncontested Marks
  • Ranked 4th in AFL of Total Marks
Some facts about Dempster
  • Studies Biomedical Science at Deakin Uni
  • Didn’t play football until he was 15
  • Has a cheese phobia
  • He’s a country boy and grew up in Mallacoota

The move of 200cm Stanley into defence is seen as critical for the Saints to contain the AFL's big forwards this year, but Dempster's return to full fitness is also significant.
A lockdown option on small forwards, his ability to peel off and help teammates in the air will also be welcomed by Sam Fisher, James Gwilt and Jason Blake.
"Talking with Scott (Watters), my role is going to be similar to last year,"
"At times I'm going to have to play on a dangerous small and then there will be times where I can be a plus-one behind the footy and try and give the backline a bit of drive.
"At different times I'm going to have to play small and tall."
Dempster is contracted until the end of 2014 and he said if there was still a role for him in the team and he was still contributing he would definitely play on.
He was adamant, however, that he didn't want to be "a footballer that hangs around past his time".
"I want to be able to leave on a high note knowing that I gave it everything and towards the end it wasn’t good enough for me to continue,"

Awesome news.

I'm thinking now, maybe only one of Gwilt or Fisher to be kept?

Unless you're Joey & you get a 3 year deal.... :oops:
2 years he was already contracted for 2014 just extended his deal by another 2 years.

But usually 30+ year olds just deal with the 1 year contracts.. Sammy Fisher was another who i think got a 2 year deal as well when he was 30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back