Official Match Thread Season 37 - Round 9 - Fighting Furies v Dragons FFC at rfctigerarmy's hippodrome

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 Australian Animation/Youth Programming Blocks/Wrapper Programs

Studio 3

Studio 3 started airing around the time when I more or less grew out of most kids tv. Actually, it might've been the reason I came to that realization.

Much like the discourse around Toasted TV, I was also a little pissed that another show later on the list had been canned in favour of what seemed like a pale imitator.

Looking back at it now as a jaded late-20-something, I think I can appreciate the vibe the show was going for a little better than back then. Still, I can't remember that many of the shows that aired on Studio 3, so I can't really judge it off that metric.​

Couch Potato

Again, a show that was a little before my time, but I can really appreciate the grungy aesthetic that the show's opening title sequence went for.

From the little bit of research that I did, host Grant Piro and the show's producer deliberately moved away from the educational intent the ABC had handed down to them, and immediately pivoted towards sketch comedy and interviews. Apparently they even managed to get Paul Keating in for a segment.

Again, another show on the list ended up doing that too, but with even better results...

While it premiered before my birth, It went for a surprisingly long time, only ending in 2001. However, since it aired on Sunday mornings, I was usually sleeping in until 10 and never really watched it.​

Last edited:

Couch Potato

Again, a show that was a little before my time, but I can really appreciate the grungy aesthetic that the show's opening title sequence went for.

From the little bit of research that I did, host Grant Piro and the show's producer deliberately moved away from the educational intent the ABC had handed down to them, and immediately pivoted towards sketch comedy and interviews. Apparently they even managed to get Paul Keating in for a segment.

Again, another show on the list ended up doing that too, but with even better results...

While it premiered before my birth, It went for a surprisingly long time, only ending in 2001. However, since it aired on Sunday mornings, I was usually sleeping in until 10 and never really watched it.​

I have no recollection of this show, although I feel like I should.

(Where's) Mixy

This is the first show on the list that I actually remember watching. I was in the right demographic for Mixy when she started out doing the pre-school block on the ABC back in the very late 90's. My mum was a teacher at the time, and she wanted me watching a more wholesome fare like Mixy instead of a couple of other shows later in the list...

Yeah, this is more an early childhood nostalgia placing.

Also, it's hosted by one of the Ferals. It gets points for that alone.​

Kids WB

Here's one from my tween/early teen years.

This was Channel 9's fairly transparent attempt to set up a rival to the number 3 spot, and for me...yeah, it worked.

A solid couple of hours of Cartoon Network circa the late 00's, with some classic Loony Tunes thrown in. It even had a rare Australian cartoon on commercial TV.

That said, those shows do a lot of the heavy lifting. There are 3 more tings on the list that did what Kids WB was aiming for, but better...​

Saturday Disney

Another formative TV block from my youth, my first exposure to Saturday Disney was via watching Winnie The Pooh via the line of TV's in the treadmill room of the local pool. It was my first taste of non-ABC youth programming, and I wanted more.

Later on in my childhood, I ended up watching it alongside my sister, who was more there for the kidcoms of the era.

Was it commercialized? I mean, yeah. Especially in the mid-00's, it was basically just a way of Disney getting some airtime on Channel 7 in order to get kids to badger their parents into getting Foxtel.

Given it's start in 1990, it kind of changed how these programming blocks were structured. Agro hitting on young women, or an ABC presenter being filmed in the Triple J studio on a shoestring budget was out, elaborate sets with strong visual identities of the era was in.

But there were two more shows with a similar premise that are perhaps a little more counterculture and iconically chaotic...​

Saturday Disney

Another formative TV block from my youth, my first exposure to Saturday Disney was via watching Winnie The Pooh via the line of TV's in the treadmill room of the local pool. It was my first taste of non-ABC youth programming, and I wanted more.

Later on in my childhood, I ended up watching it alongside my sister, who was more there for the kidcoms of the era.

Was it commercialized? I mean, yeah. Especially in the mid-00's, it was basically just a way of Disney getting some airtime on Channel 7 in order to get kids to badger their parents into getting Foxtel.

Given it's start in 1990, it kind of changed how these programming blocks were structured. Agro hitting on young women, or an ABC presenter being filmed in the Triple J studio on a shoestring budget was out, elaborate sets with strong visual identities of the era was in.

But there were two more shows with a similar premise that are perhaps a little more counterculture and iconically chaotic...​

Lets Go Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Saturday Disney

#2 & #1

I really wanted to split these two.

I had it in my head that one was better than the other, but ultimately...

...the right thing to do was to jointly award them the top two spots.

Mostly because serial_thrilla threatened that there'd be consequences if I didn't put my original pick for the #2 spot in first place.

The joint winners of the countdown...

Cheez TV & RollerCoaster

Cheez TV is iconic.

It brought anime to the masses, it was the home of action animation, it was the first time one of these wrapper programs was genuinely, unironically cool.

I also wasn't allowed to watch it, because either:
A) It was too violent, or
B) It had too many ads, or
C) Mum hated Pokemon with a passion.

There's more too it than the cartoon heavy hitters though. Jade and Ryan are legitimately charismatic, and the fact that they started hosting the show while they were still in high school added to the appeal that you were almost watching something made by kids your own age rather than stuffy adults.

However...I'd be lying if I said that I think it's as good as RollerCoaster was at it's peak.

While Cheez TV ruled the mornings, RollerCoaster was the afternoon domain, with Elliot Spencer as its king.

Whilst shows like Blue Water High and Avatar: The Last Airbender were popular, it never had the pop-culture phenomena on the level of Cheez TV's Pokemon, DragonBall and X-men.

What it did have though, was a genuine element of creative input from viewers, and it was one of the first Australian TV shows of any kind to embrace the internet through that creative input.

Both are worthy of the top spot.​

Last edited:
The following is an list of series which were shown on Cheez TV in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#2 & #1

I really wanted to split these two.

I had it in my head that one was better than the other, but ultimately...

...the right thing to do was to jointly award them the top two spots.

Mostly because serial_thrilla threatened that there'd be consequences if I didn't put my original pick for the #2 spot in first place.

The joint winners of the countdown...

Cheez TV & RollerCoaster

Cheez TV is iconic.

It brought anime to the masses, it was the home of action animation, it was the first time one of these wrapper programs was genuinely, unironically cool.

I also wasn't allowed to watch it, because either:
A) It was too violent, or
B) It had too many ads, or
C) Mum hated Pokemon with a passion.

There's more too it than the cartoon heavy hitters though. Jade and Ryan are legitimately charismatic, and the fact that they started hosting the show while they were still in high school added to the appeal that you were almost watching something made by kids your own age rather than stuffy adults.

However...I'd be lying if I said that I think it's as good as RollerCoaster was at it's peak.

While Cheez TV ruled the mornings, RollerCoaster was the afternoon domain, with Elliot Spencer as it's king.

Whilst shows like Blue Water High and Avatar: The Last Airbender were popular, it never had the pop-culture phenomena on the level of Cheez TV's Pokemon, DragonBall and X-men.

What it did have though, was a genuine element of creative input from viewers, and it was one of the first Australian TV shows of any kind to embrace the internet through that creative input.

Both are worthy of the top spot.​

The air drums video should have #1 on its own.

That is solid entertainment. Except for Rugrats.

There are 3 types of people… those that like Rugrats, those that don’t and those that have the voices of those kids etched in their heads in the worst possible way.

Well, I had therapy to get rid of the voices in my head.

Now I'm hearing Tommy talking to me.

Quality...non-stop quality...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back