Official Match Thread Season 37 Round 7 - Fighting Furies v Coney Island Warriors at rfctigerarmy's hippodrome

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif
You can only do that if you are French

Of those I know and enjoy Obituary and Blind Guardian. Which of the others above would you recommend the most?

Depends on what you're into.

Candlebox - Grunge band. Hadn't heard of them before the tour announcement, but they're breaking up so I listened to a bit and thought I'd check it out. Being grunge it does lack the cross-gen appeal of a lot of styles (the crowd was almost entirely Gen X, I was one of the few Millennials there, and I doubt a single Zoomer was there).

Mortiferum - emerging Death Metal; if you like Obituary you might find something in them. I really enjoyed that gig.

Kreator - one of the biggest metal bands from Germany, built their career in a Theash Metal vein, but have rejuvenated it this millennium with some Gothenburg-style riffing.

Midnight - a bit of a tribute to First Wave Black Metal (think Venom, early Sodom, etc). Utterly spectacular live. If I see a better live performance this year, it'd be a a personal GOAT contender. Even the support bands were apparently amazed at what they did (no gimmicks besides the look, just high energy, and incredibly tight).

Boris - eclectic Japanese band, each album explores a different style. Most of that is for domestic consumption. Live, they focus on the Sludge Metal that made their name.

Sanguisugabogg - the current big thing in Brutal Death Metal (only 2 albums into their career). Great live act, but it is not intelligent music- "this is a song about being dragged by a truck. It's called 'Dragged by a Truck'".

Depends on what you're into.

Candlebox - Grunge band. Hadn't heard of them before the tour announcement, but they're breaking up so I listened to a bit and thought I'd check it out. Being grunge it does lack the cross-gen appeal of a lot of styles (the crowd was almost entirely Gen X, I was one of the few Millennials there, and I doubt a single Zoomer was there).

Mortiferum - emerging Death Metal; if you like Obituary you might find something in them. I really enjoyed that gig.

Kreator - one of the biggest metal bands from Germany, built their career in a Theash Metal vein, but have rejuvenated it this millennium with some Gothenburg-style riffing.

Midnight - a bit of a tribute to First Wave Black Metal (think Venom, early Sodom, etc). Utterly spectacular live. If I see a better live performance this year, it'd be a a personal GOAT contender. Even the support bands were apparently amazed at what they did (no gimmicks besides the look, just high energy, and incredibly tight).

Boris - eclectic Japanese band, each album explores a different style. Most of that is for domestic consumption. Live, they focus on the Sludge Metal that made their name.

Sanguisugabogg - the current big thing in Brutal Death Metal (only 2 albums into their career). Great live act, but it is not intelligent music- "this is a song about being dragged by a truck. It's called 'Dragged by a Truck'".
Dragged by a Truck just made me think of Blood Duster for some reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dragged by a Truck just made me think of Blood Duster for some reason.

They gave a shout out to a lot of Aussie acts that have influenced them, so wouldn't surprise me if BD were one of them.

Is it a song about a blood duster?

Blood Duster were the kings of the Melbourne metal scene for quite a while; caught them a few times when I was starting my gigging journey.

Again, not intelligent music. Fun though.

What's the Hippodrome? Did we sell a home game again?
Old nightclub in Perth I used to frequent when I was much younger, skinnier and better looking.

IMG_0677.jpeg

Tonga Bob, here's some Blood Duster, with a typically wholesome song of theirs:

They sound like the people that do voice-overs for the possessed characters in the exorcist franchise of films. :fearscream:
I think I prefer the sound from Dust Buster, just quietly - not as noisy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back