DonAce

All Australian
Veteran NFL Mock Draft Participant
Jun 23, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi gents

Having a bit of a dispute with Sportsbet, and wanted the advice of some more learned punters.

I had a stab at an NFL draft market I liked the look of - USC Quarterback Matt Barkley’s draft position.

The Over/Under was set at pick 35.5. I knew he’d fall into the third or fourth round, so bet the Under. Lo and behold, he did, I cashed… or I thought I did.

If the highest pick in the draft is 1, and the lowest pick is, say, 150, am I correct in thinking that a guy drafted at 80 odd is UNDER 35.5? They’re swearing black and blue it’s a loser, so wanted some advice.

If I am wrong, then so be it, right bet, but hit the wrong button.

Thanks for reading. Usually wouldn't care but it's quite a bit of money for a once in a while punter...

was there any explanation in the description of the bet? seems ambiguous wording for mine that could be argued either way. did you take a screenshot? there doesn't seem to be any rules re draft betting

Yep I personally would read it as 1 - 35 being under and 36+ being over, but can clearly so how you could think as you did. If they had no description in the market as to what over and under is I think at a minimum you could negotiate a voided bet.

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick replies.

I don't remember the wording exactly, and no, didn't take a screenshot. Guess I was a little bit stupid in not clarifying before I submitted, but live and learn I suppose.

I can understand where they (and some of you) are coming from. Just a piss poor worded market I guess. Might have to notch this one up as (expensive) experience.

Would have thought because you are betting on the timing of something it would read before/after rather than over under.

Anyone bet time of first goal markets? How do they read?

You'll battle to get anything out of them unfortunately.

I know it's ambiguous because you're not sure whether you are talking about the actual number of the draft pick (which they are) or whether they are talking about overs being high number draft picks and unders being low number draft picks (which is what you were guessing). You probably should have asked when you put the bet and as their isn't much you can do now.

seems pretty clear cut to me, how on earth did you think that someone being drafted @ 80 something is under 35.5?
Why else would they call player x the "number 1 draft pick" and so on...
the number they're drafted at is the number, how is that even confusing?
It's like with tennis season props for e.g player x ranked over under 35.5 at the years end if he's ranked 80th then overs wins.

For those that can't see where the OP is coming from, think of the draft like a ladder, with 1 at the top, and 150 at the bottom (150 is under 1).

I can see both sides of it, but you'd have to get hold of the wording from sportsbet. As per Didak_attack, I think the best you may be able to do would be a voided bet, but more than likely you've done your dough.

For those that can't see where the OP is coming from, think of the draft like a ladder, with 1 at the top, and 150 at the bottom (150 is under 1).

I can see both sides of it, but you'd have to get hold of the wording from sportsbet. As per Didak_attack, I think the best you may be able to do would be a voided bet, but more than likely you've done your dough.

You've just put it a lot more clearly than I did. Exactly right. But I can also see both sides.

Anyway, I've emailed them and we'll see what happens. But I reckon this will go down as a lesson against assuming anything.

Thanks for the advice all, mods can pull the pin on this one now if its polluting the boards.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ...No. It's so obviously 1-35 that I want to tear my face off.

Oh and can someone help me with something. I've backed Richmond under 12 wins this year, that means that the team above them on the ladder has to finish on 12 wins right because it's in ladder order yeah?

bubbles-confused.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ...No. It's so obviously 1-35 that I want to tear my face off.

Oh and can someone help me with something. I've backed Richmond under 12 wins this year, that means that the team above them on the ladder has to finish on 12 wins right because it's in ladder order yeah?

bubbles-confused.gif

Is the sarcasm really necessary? Considering I asked politely and acknowledged I could well be in the wrong.

Rooster has pegged my thinking – something like… Essendon to finish OVER or UNDER 8th on the ladder
OVER = 1-7
UNDER = 9-18
That’s how I read the Barkley market - Matt Barkley to be drafted OVER or UNDER pick 35.5 in the draft. 1 is the highest result, 200 odd is the lowest result.
Live and learn.

Is the sarcasm really necessary? Considering I asked politely and acknowledged I could well be in the wrong.

Rooster has pegged my thinking – something like… Essendon to finish OVER or UNDER 8th on the ladder
OVER = 1-7
UNDER = 9-18
That’s how I read the Barkley market - Matt Barkley to be drafted OVER or UNDER pick 35.5 in the draft. 1 is the highest result, 200 odd is the lowest result.
Live and learn.

Don't worry about KP, he's an angry man, but with a heart of gold, and an aversion to strangers.

Bit like a Rottweiler I suppose.

Was watts drafted higher of lower than niknat? Is djokovic ranked higher or lower than Tomic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back