FTA-TV Sherlock

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with the first part, which is why I don't think that is how he actually did it. Just a proposed theory. Although, an article I read, the headline and article made it sound like it was in fact, how he did it, but no source or direct quotes saying it was.

As for not telling Watson.... hmm, I dunno, sounds like something Sherlock would do, highlighted by how he "revealed" himself. :confused:

Not just the reveal with Anderson, which I agree is fake. He did tell Watson that he told his parents, Molly, Morecroft (his hot assistant too I assume) plus 25 members of his homeless network. I'd assume he has no reason to lie to Watson about it anymore.

The character growth of Sherlock over the first two seasons was that of emotional growth, and despite acting oblivious to people emotions (as shown by his interactions this episode with Molly) he did feel them. For someone as smart as Sherlock he would have understood the pain Watson's grieving would have caused, which for mine is an illogical response, especially considering at any time he could have let Watson know quietly.

Not just the reveal with Anderson, which I agree is fake. He did tell Watson that he told his parents, Molly, Morecroft (his hot assistant too I assume) plus 25 members of his homeless network. I'd assume he has no reason to lie to Watson about it anymore.

The character growth of Sherlock over the first two seasons was that of emotional growth, and despite acting oblivious to people emotions (as shown by his interactions this episode with Molly) he did feel them. For someone as smart as Sherlock he would have understood the pain Watson's grieving would have caused, which for mine is an illogical response, especially considering at any time he could have let Watson know quietly.

I disagree. I think Sherlock now (which I was told was a "gentleman" when written by Conan Doyle) is meant to be incredibly intelligent and astute, but quite socially inept. In fact, I think the Sherlock in... Sherlock, wouldn't even be at the same social level as what House would be, who was generally socially fine, but just chose not to. Whereas I think Sherlock is more socially inept but also doesn't really want to either.

I think it was highlighted in the scene when he revealed himself to be alive, where he completely misread the situation, although not sure if that is purposeful of the writers.

i'm happy to believe the death story he told Watson and just get on with it

don't really want this to carry on through this season

The plot of this one was messy and unsatisfying. I felt similar about the last episode of last season. I feel like the actual mysteries are getting less artful because they are too focused on the overall arc. I'd have been quite happy if they'd left Moriarty out of it altogether, to be honest. He gets a lot of attention in every adaption because the idea of a supervillain appeals, but in the original books he was really just a one-off device to kill off Holmes. The whole nemesis thing was never a big part of the canon, because it didn't need to be.

OTOH I think the characterisation of Sherlock and Watson is pretty close to the books. Although I feel like they didn't explain the reason for not revealing his survival to Watson very well. In the books it is made clear that various criminal elements were watching Watson (as Holmes' confidante) to determine if he was really dead. In order for Watson's grief to seem genuine, it had to be genuine. This is all perfectly sensible to Holmes' ruthlessly logical brain, and because Holmes speaks from the heart about his regret for the need to deceive Watson he (and we) forgive him for it.

For me, the big difference is that this Sherlock seems a bit more callous. The bit at the end where Sherlock tricks Watson into speaking passionately about their friendship, then dances around in glee afterwards - Doyle would never write that. His Holmes took their friendship quite seriously, and often spoke eloquently and passionately about how much Watson meant to him. He would never play those games.

Overall I still think it is a pretty good adaption, and if they get back to the formula of the first 4 or 5 episodes it will be great. I will be interested to see the rest of the season.

Yes this was like one of those clip episodes, except with new material . . .

I don't like what they've done with Sherlock. He was almost a full-on rainman in this one, and his best man speech seemed too self-involved, beyond the point where it was ironic.

It's like they've pushed it stylistically way too far for my liking. The humour, characteriasations, the camera techniques, editing.

The series' of quick wipes when he was on the phone to Myecroft and also when they were walking to the Palace was nasty.

Almost feel like I'm watching a cartoon now or something. But again, it's come from such a high base, in my opinion, so perhaps things are just more heightened.

The episode was alright. There were a couple of great scenes. Who didn't love Sherlock's drunk deductions? Chair, sitty-thing :D

One of the major problems is that they're not giving much attention to the actual cases. Go back to A Study In Pink, Scandal in Belgravia, The Great Game, all of them are predominantly focused on a case. These last two episodes haven't been like that. In old episodes I was engrossed in the case, trying to figure out what has happened, how it's happened etc. In these new episodes I keep forgetting that there's a case, and I'm just not that interested in it. They need to stop pandering to the fans and most importantly to the Tumblr fans, and just get back to making the show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The episode was alright. There were a couple of great scenes. Who didn't love Sherlock's drunk deductions? Chair, sitty-thing :D

One of the major problems is that they're not giving much attention to the actual cases. Go back to A Study In Pink, Scandal in Belgravia, The Great Game, all of them are predominantly focused on a case. These last two episodes haven't been like that. In old episodes I was engrossed in the case, trying to figure out what has happened, how it's happened etc. In these new episodes I keep forgetting that there's a case, and I'm just not that interested in it. They need to stop pandering to the fans and most importantly to the Tumblr fans, and just get back to making the show.

Agree completely. There's only three eps a season not enough time to stuff around with episodes based solely on character development or humour. There can be elements of them but overall I'd like to see each episode centre predominantly around one case something which has been lacking this season. Still been very good but not great as the previous seasons were. The last episode was all over the place, to the point where it didn't appear as though it would even be brought together 3/4's of the way through.

Still better than most things on TV at the moment though!

That episode was entertaining in it's humour and some of the character/relationship issues but completely missed the mark insofar as any tension regarding the case they were dealing with. As is mentioned above they seem to have strayed too far away from the actual cases to the point where there is no tension and no excitement whatsoever. It was entertaining but overall disappointing (if that makes any sense).

Sherlock seems to be following the same trajectory of Homeland.

Brilliant first season, patchy season 2 and shitful season 3.

That episode was almost as shitty and self referential as the one before it.

Can't remember the last time for an episode I kept on looking at the slider bar so many times to see how much longer this crap was going to go.

That was a really subpar episode. With Sherlock its all about the case they're working on. That's the whole point of it. Way way off. Hopefully they can bring it back in ep2. I still have my hopes.

That was a really subpar episode. With Sherlock its all about the case they're working on. That's the whole point of it. Way way off. Hopefully they can bring it back in ep2. I still have my hopes.

You were talking about ep 1?

You're in for a bumpy ride my friend...

Ripped through the first season and loved every minute of it. Moriarty - wow... :eek: Starting the second season now, although these Homeland comparisons are concerning.

Ripped through the first season and loved every minute of it. Moriarty - wow... :eek: Starting the second season now, although these Homeland comparisons are concerning.

I didn't notice any dip in 2nd season tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back