F/D

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Sep 18, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Ed Lower - Freak Boy
My shins are very sore when I run and this is after a very long and hard pre season training regime. They actually are extremely sore, is this shin splints? if so how do I get rid of the pain?

Sounds like shin splints to me. Once you got them, only way to fix is rest. Also to prevent them in the future check your running style and/or your shoes.

One last thing, anti-inflammatories once got me through a finals series with shin splints but they progressively got worse. Doubt you could do a whole season with them.

Vandal said:
One last thing, anti-inflammatories once got me through a finals series with shin splints but they progressively got worse. Doubt you could do a whole season with them.
How long should I rest for?

My first game is next week, so I have basically a week.....?

Ive had shinsplints close to a year now... very hard to shake ... i play alot of squash and footy so im going from grass to hard floor all the time which cant help :p after some games i cant even stand up ...ive had broken bones and torn ligaments and i still think a bad case of shinsplints overides both with pain !

good luck

one way to see if it is shin splints is to run your finger down the front of your shin and try to feel little lumps.

also avoid running on the road and wear decent shoes

crownie said:
one way to see if it is shin splints is to run your finger down the front of your shin and try to feel little lumps.

also avoid running on the road and wear decent shoes
1. Can feel little lumps.
2. Dont really run on roads.
3. Asics?

F/D said:
1. Can feel little lumps.
2. Dont really run on roads.
3. Asics?

im no shoe expert but i did go to footlocker explained my situation and they should recommend something to atleast make runnning a bit better.

and to make you feel better, everyone i know whos got shin splints has never got rid of them

crownie said:
and to make you feel better, everyone i know whos got shin splints has never got rid of them

Well I have, just needs rest. I had a whole off-season though so it was plenty, im not sure how many weeks rest would be the minimum.

Vandal said:
Well I have, just needs rest. I had a whole off-season though so it was plenty, im not sure how many weeks rest would be the minimum.

yeh it depends if your willing to totally stop.

the blokes i know are fitness freaks so they just put up with it

3 Weeks minimum rest. I would also recommending asics footy boots. You need the support, not the flat soles. I got shin splints from my feet rolling in when I ran. It got worse when we had pre season training at the beach and running on the hard sand. You may also look at getting inner-soles for more support.

I've had a similar thing but it improved with gentler exercise. I would jog to the ferry each day, maybe 5 minutes, and did not play for about two weeks. I was never sure if it was shin splints or if I slowed down early enough to lower-impact exercise to avoid a full occurrence.

Now I am in my 30s so I rarely do enough physical movement to test the theory :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I'm gonna buy some asics footy boots to go with my asics runners.

Thanks for the tip guys, will tell you how I went with it.

this sucks, i went for my usual friday before dinner run and had to stop halfway through when i encountered to what i believe was shin splints, it was a massive pain and it caused me to stop and walk the rest of it. It's feels like a cramp in your shin and i'm shattered because i dont want to stop and rest it,footy season has just begun for me and all this was after reading this thread today!!!!

Well, I'm just gonna run it out, even with the pain.

Just after the pre season, why does it have to start 1 week away from the season proper :(

I had them afew years back and havent run since (I mean proper running) on hard surfaces.

There is nothing much you can do except rest or put up with the pain. Mine got the point where I was altering my running style to allow for the pain which then stuffed my knee.

F/D said:
Well, I'm just gonna run it out, even with the pain.

Just after the pre season, why does it have to start 1 week away from the season proper :(

If it is shin splints I wouldnt do that. Its basically small cracks in the bone so if you dont rest it they will become bigger and bigger and even if you can get on the park you wont be able to perform. I had the same problem this summer playing cricket

so I suggest you take 2 - 4 weeks off now and be firing towards the end of the season

I also found taping my ankles before training and playing also was a good preventative measure.

F/D said:

I'm the same - 1 week out from the hockey season and I've developed shin splints :(. State trials and uni hockey next week as well as the start of the season. Far outtttt. I wouldn't mind so much if I was fitter, but now that's going to go down hill faster..

How are those shin splints? It's a crap-awful injury to deal with, and no doubt your physio has checked them out - if not, get to a physio.

Re: Asics shoes - if you've chosen the wrong Asics shoe for your foot type, this will contribute significantly to your condition. The manufacturer of the shoe is irrelevant, it's finding a shoe that matches your foot motion. Asics are popular shoes among runners & athletes because their supportive models cater for a wide range of feet, but choosing the wrong type of shoe because some clown at Foot Locker recommended a brand of shoe is fraught with danger (I hope this wasn't you).

TheWackedYak said:
How are those shin splints? It's a crap-awful injury to deal with, and no doubt your physio has checked them out - if not, get to a physio.

Re: Asics shoes - if you've chosen the wrong Asics shoe for your foot type, this will contribute significantly to your condition. The manufacturer of the shoe is irrelevant, it's finding a shoe that matches your foot motion. Asics are popular shoes among runners & athletes because their supportive models cater for a wide range of feet, but choosing the wrong type of shoe because some clown at Foot Locker recommended a brand of shoe is fraught with danger (I hope this wasn't you).
I just got any type of asics shoes, but I hope that is not the problem :(

F/D said:
I just got any type of asics shoes, but I hope that is not the problem :(

Chances are it is F/D, but again, go to a physio or a podiatrist to be sure. Don't buy running shoes from someone who only runs to the shop and back and tells you one brand is better than another.

Pain that you cannot imagine.

I think I have it, the pain went away but in the last 3-4 weeks it has increased while I have played.

Is rest the only way I can get rid of it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back