Shoulder dislocation.

Remove this Banner Ad

May 10, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Unfortunately popped my shoulder out at footy last saturday, which wasn't ideal. Luckily enough it went in almost straight away. Haven't been in much pain and haven't touched a painkiller either.

Off to get it looked at this arvo, but just curious as to whether anyone on here as suffered the same fate? I've really enjoyed lifting weights the last couple of years, bodyweight stuff etc, but worried it will be now compromised. Also had friends who have had multiple dislocations since their first one so that's also a bit worrying.

Footy, I'm not too fussed about as I wasn't intending on playing next year, but yeah just trying to gather some info and any experiences around it. Cheers.

I've had many (high teens) dislocations. My advice would be to get it 110% right before returning to any sport. I was young & stupid when I did mine and assumed a few physio sessions & got back into footy once the pain stopped and got back into lifting weights, which led to troubles down the track. I had to have an operation (rotator cuff repair) on it after the 4th dislocation but needed a second one (latarjet which I think Ablett has had done similarly) and since then with the help of good rehab I reckon I have 90% mobility in it.

To scare you into getting it right I will mention I have dislocated my shoulder sneezing, sleeping & grabbing a newspaper from under a car! I have heard f other blokes doing it lifting up their car boot and even putting on a t-shirt.

Thanks clivenator26. Physio session went pretty well and I think I have decent range of motion from what he was saying and testing out. I'm committed to getting it right, and yeah on your point about dislocations I'm pretty sure one of my mates as done it by putting on a t-shirt and busting a move on the dancefloor...:eek:

Once the ligaments/tendons get stretched they never return back to their original length.
Basically muscles need to get strong enough to make up the difference or it'll keep popping out

Good to hear.
An important thing (that seems to get overlooked a lot) is ongoing maintenance/strengthening for the shoulder.
Seem way too many people do all the rehab to build the muscle, only to stop and have it atrophy away then inevitably get injured again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back