Society/Culture Silver lining?

Remove this Banner Ad

With the ACT just (correctly) acting like part of NSW, perhaps we can have a discussion about scrapping the ACT saving billions by removing an unnecessary layer of govt which also happens to be the most bloated in the country. Might even lead to better decisions if Canberrans were not given such special treatment. They are even bleating that they shoukd get many of the 5000 new centrelink jobs to help their struggling economy which is threatened by a rise in unemployment to nearly 3%.....

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

will australia look to reinforce manufacturing, food security etc. post this situation?
Food supply is not an issue in Australia. We produce enough food to feed multiples of our population.

I think there will be definitely be a lot of political pressure on governments to rebuild on-shore manufacturing capacity for critical items like like pharmaceuticals and medical equipment. The shipment of masks that was lost on Monday is a bit of a wakeup call about our ability to rely on our trade partners in times of severe crisis.

Silver linings, well his particular virus has turned out not to be an existential threat to humanity, so we can learn from the multitude of mistakes made and help to prevent something that could be worse in the future. The world has got a lesson that won't soon be forgotten, so systems around pandemics will get more attention and become far more precautionary. The economic damage of being overly cautious at the beginning would be nothing compared to the cost of the measures that have now been instigated, when the virus got out of control.

Covering up the disease early on in China will end up hurting them, both in international prestige/CCP reputation and economic reality. The fragility of supply lines for manufacturing, particularly of critical/important goods has been shown to be far too reliant on a single country. I'd expect major corporations move to diversify the locations of their supply lines, into many more countries to balance their risks. I'd expect some countries to mandate some critical industries/precursors have a presence in their own countries.

I'd expect we'll see some advances in scientific understanding of viruses in general that will help with general treatments in the future, and assist with other future pandemics.

One thing I can think of is hopefully the world can put things into perspective.

Impractical progressive ideals might be replaced with practical ones.

Less worrying about what someone else might think or say, and actually focus on things that need to be focused on.

That's my take.

Food supply is not an issue in Australia. We produce enough food to feed multiples of our population.

I think there will be definitely be a lot of political pressure on governments to rebuild on-shore manufacturing capacity for critical items like like pharmaceuticals and medical equipment. The shipment of masks that was lost on Monday is a bit of a wakeup call about our ability to rely on our trade partners in times of severe crisis.

Selling farms thw size of countries to China still going to be encouraged?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The virus didn’t get children

We are now much better prepared for when a really scary virus hits.

No one will ever wank on about libertarianism anymore.

We’ve accelerated by 10 years the move to working from home.

Or the potential lock downs and military / police state Draconian measures will refocus the liberty movement with more enthusiasm

Null and void = best 3 word mate s in English. Fancy not winning the league since the 1980s.

Even if given the cup it'll be biggest asterix since Obelix's mate took a double dose of the magic potion
Fancy celebrating a virus that's killed thousands and destroyed economies because it stopped Liverpool winning a title.

Fancy celebrating a virus that's killed thousands and destroyed economies because it stopped Liverpool winning a title.

I see ye visibly, and now believe
That he, the Supreme Good, to whom all things ill
Are but as slavish officers of vengeance,
Would send a glistering guardian, if need were
To keep my life and honour unassailed.
Was I deceived, or did a sable cloud
Turn forth her silver lining on the night?
I did not err; there does a sable cloud
Turn forth her silver lining on the night,
And casts a gleam over this tufted grove.

Last edited:
Or the potential lock downs and military / police state Draconian measures will refocus the liberty movement with more enthusiasm
No it won't. THese lock downs have been employed everywhere to slow a virus. Everyone bar the idiots know there is no authoritarian consipiracy behind it. Even if they don't work everyone knows they were done under good intentions. Except for idiots.

No it won't. THese lock downs have been employed everywhere to slow a virus. Everyone bar the idiots know there is no authoritarian consipiracy behind it. Even if they don't work everyone knows they were done under good intentions. Except for idiots.

Conspiracy theorists will be back when the new normal is duller than their imagination.

No not really

Winning a couple nothing games with a new coach, v tanking teams doesn't mean a great deal. On the back of the 30+ year olds

More so when the end result is bottom 4

Brissie and Freo werent tanking, I can never see tanking ever in the mindset of Longmire either. Couldnt give a * about the age of the players as long as we win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back