Similarities/Differences Between 2000 and 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

lethalburns

All Australian
Apr 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
There is something about our current transition period that feels very similar to the changing of the guard that happened in 1999-2000.

I still remember at the time thinking we wouldn't play finals for a very long time and that the club was a complete basket case.

We moved on a favorite son and landed MM, who at the time was probably the best in the business at creating belief and commitment.

I would argue that our current man has similar strengths even though he goes about it differently.

Our vision and culture changed and we started to look less dated. Again, I feel the club is trying to actively shed some of its previous thinking.

Our list profile was significantly worse than it is right now. We had some serious plodders running around.

We had 1-2 drafts that netted us Fraser, Didak, Leon and Johnson... Our 2021-2022 draft hauls are still unknown quantities but hold a lot of promise.

Rocca & Tarrant started to mature. Hopefully guys like Degoey can do the same.

We then picked up some very handy recycled players, one which turned out to be elite (Clement.... which is hopefully Lipinski) and the others that were extremely serviceable role players (Licca, Obree, Steinfort, Freeborne.... hopefully Dean and Krueger)

Fast forward 2 years we make back to back grand finals which we would have won against anyone else but Brisbane.

Bottom line is, things can change quickly when you're not stuck.....

Last edited:

There is something about our current transition period that feels very similar to the changing of the guard that happened in 1999-2000.

I still remember at the time thinking we wouldn't play finals for a very long time and that the club was a complete basket case.

We moved on a favorite son and landed MM, who at the time was probably the best in the business at creating belief and commitment.

I would argue that our current man has similar strengths even though he goes about it differently.

Our vision and culture changed and we started to look less dated. Again, I feel the club is trying to actively shed some of its previous thinking.

Our list profile was significantly worse than it is right now. We had some serious plodders running around.

We had 1-2 drafts that netted us Fraser, Didak, Leon and Johnson... Our 2021-2022 draft hauls are still unknown quantities but hold a lot of promise.

Rocca & Tarrant started to mature. Hopefully guys like Degoey can do the same.

We then picked up some very handy recycled players, one which turned out to be elite (Clement.... which is hopefully Lipinski) and the others that were extremely serviceable role players (Licca, Obree, Steinfort, Freeborne.... hopefully Dean and Krueger)

Fast forward 2 years we make back to back grand finals which we would have won against anyone else but Brisbane.

Bottom line is, things can change quickly when you're not stuck.....
Hopefully not another back to back losing grand finals.

Things are never as good or as bad as they seem. A couple of handy pick ups at the end of the season and some surprise developers can change things quickly. Time will tell.

Another thread of hope in desperation.

Buckle up everyone gonna be a long long 3 or 4 years, just hope and pray none of the blose, bombouts, tiggers or snow lovers flag before us.

That's unlikely.
Snow lovers have a fair few years ahead of them where their list is positioned for flags.

I was thinking about this myself, that first year with Mick we won the first 5 after only 4 wins the previous season - still remember watching us beat the Doggies in a Hobart Pub, had to put the pool cue down and lower the Jukebox, good times.

We lost the next 10 in a row but it was fun while it lasted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting ticketing info was easier 22 years ago! Collingwood app and website is beyond dire - nothing changes. Disgraceful

maybe we should do a comparison with 1976.
was bucks and harvs any worse than the weed?
was tommy any better than the fly?
was maxie any more broken down than pendles?
was peter moore any better than cox? yes...

is it possible that this year's team will shame the 1977 team and go all the way?

maybe we should do a comparison with 1976.
was bucks and harvs any worse than the weed?
was tommy any better than the fly?
was maxie any more broken down than pendles?
was peter moore any better than cox? yes...

is it possible that this year's team will shame the 1977 team and go all the way?

In order
No. Bucks had taken us to a grand final.
Established premiership coach v first timer. Hard to compare and unfair to try
Max who? Richardson?
Yes. But in 2022 we also have a Moore.

You forgot the boardroom turmoil.. that’s very comparable
And the player turnover… 76 era we had a lot of senior players leave

In order
No. Bucks had taken us to a grand final.
Established premiership coach v first timer. Hard to compare and unfair to try
Max who? Richardson?
Yes. But in 2022 we also have a Moore.

You forgot the boardroom turmoil.. that’s very comparable
And the player turnover… 76 era we had a lot of senior players leave

i had a minute to think
but back to the point, you seem to be saying that we should win the premiership this year...

What a sad, bitter post. If you can't enjoy where the club is at right now I don't know what to say

How so? It's not about being bitter or sad, the club shouldn't be where it is in the first place - we're last on the development train. Yet our league long rivals are all in better shape and are closer to ultimate success, if or when that happens, given our record in our second part of our existence that does indeed put us closer to irrelevance.

The only relevance we have now is our profile and fan base. Just stating what is, nothing bitter or sad.

Looking forward to how our development pans out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back