Single Entity Teams That Have Disappeared In The Last 25 Years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bendigo League
Northern United (1996-7?)
Kennington/Strathfieldsaye (80's)

1996 was Northern United's last year in the Bendigo League. They folded after playing only one game that season.
After reverting from Kennington/Strathdale back to being Kennington once more, this team actually folded after the 1993 season.

I can also add the Central Highlands Football League in Qld to this list (eventually died at the turn of the century after being a 9 a side comp for a few years). Clubs included the Blackwater Cats, Emerald Saints and Dysart Swans to name 3.

There was also a Fraser Coast Lions in the Wide Bay Comp that went belly up and replaced by the Bay Power (seperate club) a few years ago.

More to the Tasmania list:
Fingal (FVDFA)
St Marys (FVDFA)
These two, and the remnants of Avoca which falls a little outside the 25 years, now form Fingal Valley in the NTFA.
At one point only 2 of the 6 teams that existed in the Fingal Valley District Football Association in the mid-80s were still around, St Helens and Swansea. I believe Campbell Town has since reformed and plays in the Oatlands league.

Here's a few from the AFLQ (nee QAFL) -

Coorparoo Roos
Windsor-Zillmere Eagles
Kedron Demons
Western Districts Bulldogs
Sherwood Magpies

That leaves

Sandgate Hawks - reformed 1990's
Wilston-Grange Gorillas - reformed 1990's
Mayne Tigers - re-emerged 4 years ago

Morningside and Southport are the only untouched clubs.
:(

Others to disappear -
Everton Park
Ipswich
Banyo
Oakleigh
Beenleigh
Hemmant

without even trying !

Coorparoo are now the Kings (old Treasury Kings)
Kedron are Lions
Wests Bulldogs are back in some form?
Sherwood merged with Chelmer and are Western Magpies
Everton Park Wolves are back
Ipswich Eagles are the old RAAF team
Beenleigh Buffaloes are back

I can also add the Central Highlands Football League in Qld to this list (eventually died at the turn of the century after being a 9 a side comp for a few years). Clubs included the Blackwater Cats, Emerald Saints and Dysart Swans to name 3.

There was also a Fraser Coast Lions in the Wide Bay Comp that went belly up and replaced by the Bay Power (seperate club) a few years ago.

CHAFLQ also had Middlemount Kangaroos, Tieri Tigers (United Tigers), Moranbah Bullfogs (now in AFL Mackay), Clermont Crows, Springsure Bulls.

Wow had no idea that Donnybrook used to have a team :eek:
I would say there is a very strong chance that a junior club maybe even a senior one could be formed there within the next 5 years especially because of it's close proximity to Cragieburn (about a 5min drive from the big new Highlands estate) and the growing areas to the north of it. It even has two ovals that junior clubs played on a few seasons ago.

A club that died and killed a league with it is Devenish Football Club. The old Benalla and District League only had 6 teams in it so once Devenish folded so did the league.

Another club i know of recently which may be in trouble is Thornton-Eildon. They were a very strong club only 5 years ago but are now in it's 2nd year of recess and i think thats the same with the junior club too :( very sad to see things like that happen.

Devenish folding has been like pulling a skewer in a kerplunk game, once they folded, about 5 clubs struggled since (Swanpool & Longwood are the most vulernable of the old Benalla League teams, after thier seniors both were blanked last week Longwood in the Kyabram DFL & Swanpool in the Ovens & King FL).

Tatong's doing scarcely better in the Ovens & King, Goorambat seems do be doing OK without getting the horrible floggings compared to Swanpool, but Bonnie Doon (at Serenity Stadium:)) seems to have made the transition to Ovens & King quite well despite the distance in geography compared to the rest of the competiton.

The sad thing is that if Devenish and the BDFL hung around for another 18 months, it may have given a home to Thornton/Eildon given the shinboners a more compatable league whilst saving the rest of the league as well, but sadly that will only be a what if, and thusly they are now gone, and I fear that there will be a few more former BDFL teams that could follow suit (unless they merge, which is better than nothing).

As far as Donnybrook goes, there could be a chance that a team from that area could rise again from the ashes like Carrum (who foled in the MPNFL in 1996, only to reappear in the Southern League this year as Carrum/Patterson Lakes), or start up like Manor Lakes, Caroline Springs, East Sunbury & Point Cook, with surburbia getting closer and closer, a surburban train line that could easily extend from Craigieburn to Donnybrook when the houses are built (although they haven't done jack s##t in getting the trains back to Mernda, but I digress), I would suspect that this could be something that AFL VICTORIA sees as a long term project.

Hamilton Magpies & Hamilton Imperials have left the Western Border Football League and merged (Hell having frozen over) to form the Hamilton Kangaroos and joined the Hampden League in south west victoria.

According to the orange comic (the Weekly Times), both clubs were struggling to field reserve teams & juniors in the Western Border League and had a gunshot wedding this year, when the player situation became untenable, and they and Portland have joined the Hampden League after a VCFL restructure of football in the Western District.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It appears as though Swanpool and Tatong are gone, having been forced to form a 3 way merger with far away Goorombat. Aparantly most home games will be held at Goorombat. Merging the two clubs south of Benalla (Swanpool and tatong) would have made more sense.

It appears as though Swanpool and Tatong are gone, having been forced to form a 3 way merger with far away Goorombat. Aparantly most home games will be held at Goorombat. Merging the two clubs south of Benalla (Swanpool and tatong) would have made more sense.

Leaving there league alone and letting them play against other clubs in there vicinity would have been the right thing to do.

Sadly Tatong & Swanpool had the gun pointed at their head from the very moment they had to go into the Ovens & King League, in hindsight, if they had have put their foolish pride aside and merged when they still had some leverage (as equal partners, with both towns only 15ks apart), then they wouldn't have been shuffled off into a Frankenstein AFL Victoria merger between themselves and Goorambat.

Really, Goorambat should've gone with the Benalla All Blacks to be the Benalla Bats (Black, Green & Gold) and Tatong & Swanpool combine to be Tatong/Swanpool Swans (Black, White & Blue), if there had to be mergers but this is so weighted in Goorambat's favour it's not a merger at all.

Sadly Tatong & Swanpool had the gun pointed at their head from the very moment they had to go into the Ovens & King League, in hindsight, if they had have put their foolish pride aside and merged when they still had some leverage (as equal partners, with both towns only 15ks apart), then they wouldn't have been shuffled off into a Frankenstein AFL Victoria merger between themselves and Goorambat.

Really, Goorambat should've gone with the Benalla All Blacks to be the Benalla Bats (Black, Green & Gold) and Tatong & Swanpool combine to be Tatong/Swanpool Swans (Black, White & Blue), if there had to be mergers but this is so weighted in Goorambat's favour it's not a merger at all.

In terms of ignorance and stupidity when it comes to mergers, I offer the Mortlake Football Club. Founding member of the Hampden League, they were heading into the abyss in the late 90's as a dwindling population meant it was unable to compete in a major league, rather than drop back to a minor league such as the Warrnambool and District or Mininera, the people in charge elected to merge with a club that was already in recess located 40km away in a community that the town/club had no connection with. The union the Western Lions lasted one year and one game. Mortlake is now a football wasteland. Terang did the smart thing and merged (tookover) the remnants and volunteers of Mortlake but aside from two games a year at the DC Farran there is little Mortlake in Terang Mortlake. Woorndoo also added Mortlake to the name for a time but that didn't take either. Deakin University saw an opportunity to develop a junior structure and so the Mortlake Junior Sharks now play in the WDFNL and Kolora/Noorat and Panmure for a time also benefited by getting a few Mortlake players.

A town that should have a footy club now has nothing with support splintered across 4-5 teams. Had some people been able to swallow some pride and done the smart thing and dropped back into one of the district leagues things would be so much different. It should be used as a case study of what not to do.

Kerang and District FL (Now Golden Rivers FL)

Lakes FC - Western Bulldogs colours
Rovers FC - Collingwood colours
Appin FC - Green jumper with a Gold V.

Northern and Echuca FL (merger of Echuca and District FL and Northern District FL)

Moama - White jumper with Black V
Echuca East - Green jumper with white ensign
Echuca South - Sydney colours
Lockington-Bamawm United - Geelong colours
Kerang - Carlton colours
Cohuna - Reverse of Sydney colours
Union - Green with Gold ensign
Leitchville - Maroon with Gold V
Gunbower - Melbourne colours
Pyramid Hill - St. Kilda colours
Barham - Collingwood colours
Koondrook - Richmond colours

Now...
Kerang and Rovers merged with Appin joining later. (Kerang Rovers Appin then reverting back to Kerang FC)
Echuca East and Echuca South merged. (Echuca United Eagles)
Cohuna and Union merged. (Cohuna Kangas)
Barham and Koondrook merged. (Koondrook/Barham River Raiders)
Leitchville and Gunbower merged. (Leitchville/Gunbower Bombers)

So it leaves this...
Northern & Echuca FL was disbanded.
Loddon Valley FL gained Pyramid Hill.
Murray FL gained Echuca United and Moama.
Heathcote FL gained LBU (after Bendigo FL stint) and Leitchville/Gunbower (after CMFL stint).
Central Murray FL (Merger of N&EFL clubs with Mid-Murray FL) gained Kerang, Cohuna Kangas and Koondrook/Barham.

But to the VCFLs credit, they worked through the process with the clubs and leagues (although against the current in most situations).

Last edited:
Re: Single Entity Teams That Have Disappeared In The Last 25 Years

Was Kealba Green Gully one team, or did you mean to mention them as two: Kealba, Green Gully?

I only have a reference for a Kealba FC.

Also do you happen to know, prior to the WRFL coming about in 2000, which clubs were in the FDFL and which were in the WSFL?

I've never been able to find out!

Kealba Green Gully was 1 club that played for probably 5 years and folded around 2005. Wore bottle green with white "V".

Of current WRFL clubs only Altona, Wyndhamvale, Sunshine heights, Laverton and Hoppers Crossing were former WSFL clubs. Other clubs from WSFL who moved to the FDFL (now WRFL) who no longer exists were Newport (re-formed as Newport Power around 5 years ago as a junior club), Williamstown United, Central Altona, Newport East and West Newport. Think thats it.

Swanpool & Tatong are officially gone for 2014 but are hoping they can have a crack in 2015 as a merged entity.
Unfortunately they will be fighting the tide on this one imo but I truly hope they can resurrect from the dead.
Tatong has got it's facilities already approved and a builder signed up on six figures and no it won't be of any use for 2014 for it's main tenant :eek:
Goorambat will be next in the firing line as they won't improve anytime soon and have burnt their bridges with the now ex B & D sides.

DWWWW in the Alberton League have officially withdrawn from the 2014 season in all grades. They've really done it hard in the last few years and with the Yarram Demons leaving the Alberton League for the North Gippy it's made them the most isolated side in the AFL.
Just like the Benalla region's demise of footy in the last 10 years so too has the Yarram region where the 3 sides were finding the strain on keeping sides on the park each Saturday in all grades.

Sadly I think this is the start of many sides falling off the perch in the next 5 years with under 17/18's numbers at alarmingly low numbers throughout the state.

Swanpool & Tatong are officially gone for 2014 but are hoping they can have a crack in 2015 as a merged entity.
Unfortunately they will be fighting the tide on this one imo but I truly hope they can resurrect from the dead.
Tatong has got it's facilities already approved and a builder signed up on six figures and no it won't be of any use for 2014 for it's main tenant :eek:
Goorambat will be next in the firing line as they won't improve anytime soon and have burnt their bridges with the now ex B & D sides.

DWWWW in the Alberton League have officially withdrawn from the 2014 season in all grades. They've really done it hard in the last few years and with the Yarram Demons leaving the Alberton League for the North Gippy it's made them the most isolated side in the AFL.
Just like the Benalla region's demise of footy in the last 10 years so too has the Yarram region where the 3 sides were finding the strain on keeping sides on the park each Saturday in all grades.

Sadly I think this is the start of many sides falling off the perch in the next 5 years with under 17/18's numbers at alarmingly low numbers throughout the state.

Sad but true and the AFL are supposedly custodians of the game, much of the reduction in times is population / social related, but the AFL does didly squat with grass roots community clubs - Yay Auskick!

Callington United Eagles, Uraidla, Pleasant Valley, Mount Torrens. (Hills Football league) SA
Railways(as mentioned earlier), Towns, West Arthur (Upper Great Southern FL) WA
Katanning Australs, North Mt. Barker, South Mt. Barker, Tambellup (Great Southern FL) WA

Callington United Eagles, Uraidla, Pleasant Valley, Mount Torrens. (Hills Football league) SA
Railways(as mentioned earlier), Towns, West Arthur (Upper Great Southern FL) WA
Katanning Australs, North Mt. Barker, South Mt. Barker, Tambellup (Great Southern FL) WA

Callington I was told "merged" with Bridgewater.

Aren't Mount Torrens, Pleasant Valley and Uraidla part of a merged club?

Speaking of which, do these lists only include clubs that have folded, or also clubs that have merged?

Anyway, got a couple of clubs that have merged in my local area, plus some history behind it all:

Eudunda Football Club
Robertstown Football Club

End of 2010 or 2011 (Can't remember) EFC and RFC merged to become Southern Saints Football Club.

Last edited:
Callington I was told "merged" with Bridgewater.

Aren't Mount Torrens, Pleasant Valley and Uraidla part of a merged club?

Speaking of which, do these lists only include clubs that have folded, or also clubs that have merged?

Anyway, got a couple of clubs that have merged in my local area, plus some history behind it all:

Eudunda Football Club
Robertstown Football Club

End of 2010 or 2011 (Can't remember) EFC and RFC merged to become Southern Saints Football Club.
Yeah Callington "merged" with Bridgewater but I think there is literally zero cally people involved with the club now. They still wear a bridgey guernsey so it was more of a takeover.

Mt Torrens and Pleasant Valley merged in the mid to late 90's to form Torrens Valley. Uraidla Districts is merger of Uraidla and Eastern Rangers (Lenswood and Ashton)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back