Sleeping Too Much

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
About six months ago I had a new housemate move in. Since he moved in I'm just amazed at how much he sleeps. He only works a few hours a day. The rest of the day he is asleep. I leave for work about eight and he is still in bed. I get home at six and he is in bed. He will get up for about an hour then go back to bed and not get up til morning. I think he would average sixteen hours sleep a day. Last Saturday about 1 p.m a mate came around to watch the footy. He asked me where my housemate was. I said that I hadn't seen him all day and that he must have gone out somewhere. About 4 his door opens and out walks my housemate. My mate and I just look at each other and think WTF? My mate went home about 5. About half an hour later my housemate goes to his bedroom and doesn't come out the rest of the night. I asked him about his sleep habits one day and he asked me if it was my concern. It's not my concern really but it really is starting to get on my nerves how someone can sleep their life away like that. When he's awake he's actually not a bad guy and we get along quite well but it really is starting to annoy me.

Chat Roulette is very addictive...

He doesn't have a computer. In fact he's basically computer illiterate.

He's not sleeping he's probably masturbating or watching TV & doesn't wanna chill with you. Sounds like you've got a hikikomori living with you.

He does have a tv in his room but I can tell when he's got it on it and it's not that often.

The thought crossed my mind that maybe he just doesn't feel comfortable living here so hides himself in his room. But I asked his ex who I know quite well and she said that it was one of the reasons they broke up.

I asked him about his sleep habits one day and he asked me if it was my concern. It's not my concern really but it really is starting to get on my nerves how someone can sleep their life away like that. When he's awake he's actually not a bad guy and we get along quite well but it really is starting to annoy me.
Why should it concern you? Are you pissed because you wanted a housemate for company and he's not giving you that company?

When I was young and poor I lived for a month with a woman like that. She would stay in her room all night and most of the day. But she was depressed because her husband died and she didnt have any other family.

One day I was recovering from a big night, watching tv. When it got to 4pm with no sign of her I figured there was no way she could still be in her room, she must have gone out earlier. So I walked around naked and free, only for about 2 minutes before I got in the shower. Of course this exact moment she opened her door and stepped out... Looked at me... Then turned around and went back into her room for the rest of the night

The longest time she spent out of her room was some nights when she would come and watch the simpsons and laugh quietly to herself.

About six months ago I had a new housemate move in. Since he moved in I'm just amazed at how much he sleeps. He only works a few hours a day. The rest of the day he is asleep. I leave for work about eight and he is still in bed. I get home at six and he is in bed. He will get up for about an hour then go back to bed and not get up til morning. I think he would average sixteen hours sleep a day. Last Saturday about 1 p.m a mate came around to watch the footy. He asked me where my housemate was. I said that I hadn't seen him all day and that he must have gone out somewhere. About 4 his door opens and out walks my housemate. My mate and I just look at each other and think WTF? My mate went home about 5. About half an hour later my housemate goes to his bedroom and doesn't come out the rest of the night. I asked him about his sleep habits one day and he asked me if it was my concern. It's not my concern really but it really is starting to get on my nerves how someone can sleep their life away like that. When he's awake he's actually not a bad guy and we get along quite well but it really is starting to annoy me.

Perhaps he was a cat in a previous life?:D

Why should it concern you? Are you pissed because you wanted a housemate for company and he's not giving you that company?

I guess because he doesn't pull his weight around the house and just expects me to do the housework when I get home after a day's work while he's been sleeping all day.

I've been spending about 18 hours a day in bed for the last couple of weeks, and that's a conservative estimate. About 12 sleeping, the rest either dozing or on my computer. Pretty ****ed, but it's boosted my BF activity.

I think I might have chronic fatigue though. Had glandular a couple of years ago and I just get spells like this. They're meant to get better, but mine are just getting longer and more severe. Usually they're accompanied by mild depression, but I've been on St John's Wort lately which seems to have helped. It's probably contributing to the fatigue though.

Getting out an about next weekend though, so hopefully that will spark a revival.

But yeah, I'd say your flatmate probably has chronic fatigue, depression, or both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess because he doesn't pull his weight around the house and just expects me to do the housework when I get home after a day's work while he's been sleeping all day.

Fair enough. Although from what you've said, if he's in his room most of the time and sleeping, he probably isn't making much of a mess in the rest of the house.

Still, houses require a certain amount of general upkeep regardless of whether you're actively messing them up. Bookshelves gather dust, carpets need vacuuming, floors need sweeping, gardens need weeding, shower recesses and toilets need scrubbing. I'd be a little annoyed if my housemate left all that to me.

Other than that though, the more time he spends in his room the better. I mean, not that I don't like him but the more I get the common facilities to myself, the better.

Interesting thread.

I moved out for the first time a few months ago and have been living with a guy who I did not know previously.

I spend 90% of my time (while at home) in my room because I have my own TV, ps3, an iPad, my own broadband connection and modem - literally everything I need in terms of a 'living room'. It works out that he always leaves in the morning before I have to get out of bed, and gets home hours after I've eaten, showered etc.

This is pretty great, except when he IS home it's always too awkward to leave my room because we still barely know each other.

This is pretty great, except when he IS home it's always too awkward to leave my room because we still barely know each other.
Generally you get to know someone by not hiding from them. :confused:

Personally, I don't find it awkward getting to know a new housemate. I do find it awkward when he spends all his time holed up in his room, and we go days/weeks barely talking despite spending a reasonable amount of time at home simultaneously.

It'll only get more awkward the longer you let it go. Some people are okay with that. Me... I'd rather have a friendly relationship with someone I'm living with. There's nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable in your own home.

I have a housemate who sounds a lot like you. The lease is up in a couple of months and I'll probably ask him to leave, and get someone in who's a bit more sociable. I'm all for personal space and alone time, but it's a little creepy living with someone who's always 'around' but you never see and barely talk to.

Still, houses require a certain amount of general upkeep regardless of whether you're actively messing them up. Bookshelves gather dust, carpets need vacuuming, floors need sweeping, gardens need weeding, shower recesses and toilets need scrubbing. I'd be a little annoyed if my housemate left all that to me.
One word: outsource.
Sure it costs money, but after sleeping, working and commuting, I'd rather not spend whatever personal time is left on "upkeep". More than happy to pay someone else to do it, as I have for the last few years.

It's really not that much hassle in a small place. If you clean up after yourself as you go and then spend an hour or two on Saturday mornings doing odd jobs around the house that's all that's really required.

I would consider it once I had a family home if my wife and I both worked, but until then I really can't justify the cost. Besides, it instils tidy habits. I'm far more fastidious than friends who have cleaners, simply because how messy the place is has a greater impact on me personally.

Generally you get to know someone by not hiding from them. :confused:

Personally, I don't find it awkward getting to know a new housemate. I do find it awkward when he spends all his time holed up in his room, and we go days/weeks barely talking despite spending a reasonable amount of time at home simultaneously.

It'll only get more awkward the longer you let it go. Some people are okay with that. Me... I'd rather have a friendly relationship with someone I'm living with. There's nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable in your own home.

I have a housemate who sounds a lot like you. The lease is up in a couple of months and I'll probably ask him to leave, and get someone in who's a bit more sociable. I'm all for personal space and alone time, but it's a little creepy living with someone who's always 'around' but you never see and barely talk to.

The thing is, whenever we do see each other it's fine, very comfortable and friendly and stuff. Have a chat about what we've been up to etc. It's just.. I dunno.

Funnily, I've decided when I next move it'll be to a place by myself. It's not because I actively dislike sharing, it's just that I have noticed how much more comfortable I am by myself.

I've been spending about 18 hours a day in bed for the last couple of weeks, and that's a conservative estimate. About 12 sleeping, the rest either dozing or on my computer. Pretty ****ed, but it's boosted my BF activity.

I think I might have chronic fatigue though. Had glandular a couple of years ago and I just get spells like this. They're meant to get better, but mine are just getting longer and more severe. Usually they're accompanied by mild depression, but I've been on St John's Wort lately which seems to have helped. It's probably contributing to the fatigue though.

Getting out an about next weekend though, so hopefully that will spark a revival.

But yeah, I'd say your flatmate probably has chronic fatigue, depression, or both.

I have chronic fatigue, and some days you really just struggle to get out of bed.
Mine is a bit like yours. It has gotten worse as time goes on. Horribly frustrating to have to try and live your life with it. Some days I feel like I am able to go out for an entire day, a few days later, feel like I can't even get out of bed.

When I'm home I spend most of my time in my room playing guitar or watching Seinfeld or South Park because in the living room my two housemates (who were already friends when I moved in) will be sprawled across the couches on facebook blabbing on about how ugly some chick they don't like is while terrible reality shows are blaring from the TV. I'm not home too often though as I work 2-4 nights (leave at 4, get home at midnight) per week, am at uni 3 days a week and try to catch up with friends once or twice a week.

I'd love to have more of a relationship with my housemates, but they're just completely different to me and I haven't been able to hold a conversation with them for more than 30 seconds as all they talk about is how ugly people are and how amazing the latest vampire teen drama is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back