So what did happen at Lara? Coach sacked mid season and many rumours. Whats the truth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 28, 2005
Here and there
AFL Club
Geelong
As we know Lara has given Dallas Normington the flick with the seaosn still running. The club trotting out the ususal lines such as they want a playing coach next year etc.

Then i read things on these very forums such as this

"I was in the rooms at lara after st albans beat them and all i could hear was the members and supporters bagging dallas normington about he's coaching.
I even heard a group of blokes saying they should sack him now and start fresh for next year (these blokes had a badge pinned on them, life members i think) sounds like real team success to me!"

Thanks to whoever wrote that.

Is that really what happened. If it did it is quite a sensation really and a total opposite to what the club came out and said in the paper as to why he was sacked.

So what really happened at Lara?

Firstly, Dallas was not sacked mid-season. He is the Lara coach until the end of the season. The Club felt it would be best to be transparent about its decision to not re-appoint Dallas in order to openly seek a new coach without resorting to cloack and dagger tactics. Secondly, the Club believes the right playing coach would benefit the young list. If a non-playing coach with the right credentials comes along, the Club would consider that person as well. In regards to the comments about 'members and supporters' and 'life members' calling for Dallas' sacking, there would appear to be some sensationalism from the person who reported these comments. If the members, supporters and life members of any club are prepared to accept defeat by a bottom team, perhaps that says more about that club than Lara. Having said that, at Lara the Committee (not the supporters, not the members or life members) make decisions regarding coaching. Apparently that is not the case at other clubs.

Firstly, Dallas was not sacked mid-season. He is the Lara coach until the end of the season. The Club felt it would be best to be transparent about its decision to not re-appoint Dallas in order to openly seek a new coach without resorting to cloack and dagger tactics. Secondly, the Club believes the right playing coach would benefit the young list. If a non-playing coach with the right credentials comes along, the Club would consider that person as well. In regards to the comments about 'members and supporters' and 'life members' calling for Dallas' sacking, there would appear to be some sensationalism from the person who reported these comments. If the members, supporters and life members of any club are prepared to accept defeat by a bottom team, perhaps that says more about that club than Lara. Having said that, at Lara the Committee (not the supporters, not the members or life members) make decisions regarding coaching. Apparently that is not the case at other clubs.

Familiar ring about this one, got rid of Shayne Stone after 1 year as it was felt a playing coach was required, thanx anyway doing a great job at Inverleigh.

As we know Lara has given Dallas Normington the flick with the seaosn still running. The club trotting out the ususal lines such as they want a playing coach next year etc.

Then i read things on these very forums such as this

"I was in the rooms at lara after st albans beat them and all i could hear was the members and supporters bagging dallas normington about he's coaching.
I even heard a group of blokes saying they should sack him now and start fresh for next year (these blokes had a badge pinned on them, life members i think) sounds like real team success to me!"

Thanks to whoever wrote that.

Is that really what happened. If it did it is quite a sensation really and a total opposite to what the club came out and said in the paper as to why he was sacked.

So what really happened at Lara?

yeah that was me that made them comments and thats what happend they were into him big time, look what ended up happening he got the boot a couple of weeks after i posted it.

yeah that was me that made them comments and thats what happend they were into him big time, look what ended up happening he got the boot a couple of weeks after i posted it.

Finally a reply!!

If people were aying that to me and i was coach, and had been sacked i would not be hanging around till the end of the year.

The fact remains that Dallas was NOT sacked mid-season. Other clubs must retain the same coach until he dies because apparently no-one else has ever decided to replace a coach. Apparently there are also loyal supporters out there who have NEVER been critical of their coach.

Under the circumstances it would have been understandable if Dallas decided not to continue for the rest of the season. Despite his disappointment he showed his class and agreed to see the year out.

The fact remains that Dallas was NOT sacked mid-season. Other clubs must retain the same coach until he dies because apparently no-one else has ever decided to replace a coach. Apparently there are also loyal supporters out there who have NEVER been critical of their coach.

bit of sour grapes there mate. happens to everyone and its just lara's turn

The FACT remains that none other than the club president was booted out of the rooms by the coach after he publicly questioned Normingtons coaching in front of the players after the match. There is being critical in private to someone's face, and there is publicly belittling and undermining him and being completely unprofessional...i know which basket this one goes in...

As for the Clique-...oops, i mean the Committee, perhaps they should be held accountable for hiring him in the first place, if all of a sudden a playing coach is more beneficial. Didnt they say when they hired him that he was perfect for this young group?

The FACT remains that none other than the club president was booted out of the rooms by the coach after he publicly questioned Normingtons coaching in front of the players after the match. There is being critical in private to someone's face, and there is publicly belittling and undermining him and being completely unprofessional...i know which basket this one goes in...

As for the Clique-...oops, i mean the Committee, perhaps they should be held accountable for hiring him in the first place, if all of a sudden a playing coach is more beneficial. Didnt they say when they hired him that he was perfect for this young group?

Its a credit to normington that he has dealed with it like a man and will walk away into a better job. There is to much s**t slinging out lara way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a credit to normington that he has dealed with it like a man and will walk away into a better job. There is to much s**t slinging out lara way.

I wouldnt mind seeing an interview with him after he is finished though, would be interesting to say the least! :D

I wouldnt mind seeing an interview with him after he is finished though, would be interesting to say the least! :D

For sure lol. Lots of s**t on the down low that has happened there.

I assume hbk you were in the rooms when Dallas was 'publicly' belittled. If so I will also assume you have an interest in the club. I suggest you attend the AGM and volunteer your valuable time and opinions if you are not happy with the direction of the club - just like the current committee...oops, I mean clique. This would be much more beneficial than white-anting the place here.

I assume hbk you were in the rooms when Dallas was 'publicly' belittled. If so I will also assume you have an interest in the club. I suggest you attend the AGM and volunteer your valuable time and opinions if you are not happy with the direction of the club - just like the current committee...oops, I mean clique. This would be much more beneficial than white-anting the place here.

This has nothing to do with white-anting - this info came straight from the players who witnessed the incident I speak of, including senior players who had just played the game beforehand. So maybe you should speak to them about passing on info that might show up how unprofessional things happen out Lara way. And as I have stated before, opinions from outside the ex-player circle/clique/committee or however you want to put it are not welcome at all unless u want to stay and down 20 pots with them afterwards. :thumbsu:

This has nothing to do with white-anting - this info came straight from the players who witnessed the incident I speak of, including senior players who had just played the game beforehand. So maybe you should speak to them about passing on info that might show up how unprofessional things happen out Lara way. And as I have stated before, opinions from outside the ex-player circle/clique/committee or however you want to put it are not welcome at all unless u want to stay and down 20 pots with them afterwards. :thumbsu:

This incident you speak of was obviously regrettable. One person's passion for the Club got the better of him. This one incident hardly equates to 'how unprofessional things happen out Lara way'. Remember, the people who run local clubs are volunteers. We would prefer it if everything ran smoothly all the time but that is unrealistic. As for the clique, some members of the committee did play football together. Some of them do have a drink together. (Most of them couldn't handle 20 pots these days) What is the crime here? These blokes, whether they played football together or not, don't always agree on everything. If one or more committee persons do disagree with the majority (who may not have all played football together), their opinions are still heard before decisions are made. This is how a committee works. Once again, the AGM is approaching. No member has ever been refused permission to join the committee.

Yep, shoot the messenger - solves everything.

Yep, shoot the messenger - solves everything.

Which part of my post did you interpret as 'shooting the messenger'?
To shoot the messenger would be to insult or denigrate him in some way whilst ignoring everything he said. Clearly this has not been the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back