Sorry but cats will miss the 8

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we've still got that ability to lift for the big games and we have A LOT of them in the run home. If we can win at least two more of our Geelong games and split the rest we can finish in that 5-8 range on the ladder.

You mean like Dew, Croad, Crawford, Campbell and Williams who never played meaniful football for the Hawks again after 2008. I wonder why the Hawks struggled to back it up?

I wouldn't think that list of names compares to Ling, Ottens, Mooney and Milburn in terms of impact on their respective teams. The Hawks were just disappointing after '08. They were good last year but still not great, but this year the pies have at the most just maintained their level, geelong have gone backwards and the eagles have been hurt by their injuries. This could be the best genuine chance since '08 for the Hawks to get another flag.

Collingwood will smack them next week.

They are coming off an 8 day break, with Pendlebury, Didak, Tarrant and Brown to come back into the team.

Geelong on the other hand are coming off a 6 day break returning from a tough encounter against Gold Coast.
and we'll have Taylor,Johnson,Pods and Duncan back most likely

I wouldn't think that list of names compares to Ling, Ottens, Mooney and Milburn in terms of impact on their respective teams. The Hawks were just disappointing after '08. They were good last year but still not great, but this year the pies have at the most just maintained their level, geelong have gone backwards and the eagles have been hurt by their injuries. This could be the best genuine chance since '08 for the Hawks to get another flag.
With all due respect mate

Your full back, First ruck, Champion player and a player who was a leading goal kicker for us before buddy. Yes we have been dissapointing since then but losing those players especially ruck and full back had an impact on our structure. If Croad was playing today i hazard a guess that our defense would be ten fold better

With all due respect mate

Your full back, First ruck, Champion player and a player who was a leading goal kicker for us before buddy. Yes we have been dissapointing since then but losing those players especially ruck and full back had an impact on our structure. If Croad was playing today i hazard a guess that our defense would be ten fold better
Crawford was finished in 08, your ruck was hated on by your supporters and mid range quality. Your full back was the only loss.

Crawford was finished in 08, your ruck was hated on by your supporters and mid range quality. Your full back was the only loss.
I'm sorry what? are you sure you are referring to Robbie Campbell? I think you mean Taylor besides correct me if i'm wrong but mark williams was one of the major players in the 2008 campaign. In any case its all history now and none of it makes much difference any more

The point is not that the Hawks players are better or worse. The point is if you lose 5 best 22 players at once you very rarely (if ever) going to improve. It certainly didn't help the Hawks and it is not helping the Cats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of what? Losing? We're going to lose to plenty of sides in the next few weeks.
To be honest with you mate. I think you will lift for the big games against collingwood and us. I wouldn't put it past you to be 2-0 after it

I agree its looking a bit iffy at the moment. Time will tell though so let's not write them off yet. I can see them possibly beating Adelaide, & Sydney at Kardinia Park and they should beat the Bulldogs with Essendon a maybe.

We do have a history of rising for the big games but whether this group can do that I do not know. Our senior players will no doubt give it their all but it is the bottom 10 players with under 50 games experience that is making the difference this year. As Lingy so rightly said during the GCS game it is these players that need to lift if the cats are going to be a threat this year.

Current form seems to suggest it may not happen for us in 2012.

I disagree. A big part of the problem is experienced players not performing well. That's the bit no one wants to admit to. The young guys have made mistakes sure but the losses haven't been all their fault. No way.

I disagree. A big part of the problem is experienced players not performing well. That's the bit no one wants to admit to. The young guys have made mistakes sure but the losses haven't been all their fault. No way.

Our experienced group play for a quarter and that's it. Aside from Selwood they're all culpable. Corey, Bartel, Kelly (not as bad), Chapman and even Scarlett - just look largely disinterested this year.

We dished up similar s**t if not some more in round 2 but that's beside the point.
yeah i agree I thought we generally should have lost that game in round 2 against the hawks and I think we didn't win it but the hawks lost it with their mental attitude. I guess when I look at the ladder and see we are only 8 points (2 wins) from top spot things are still looking OK right now.

I do think we can win enough games to make the 8 this year but we wont be a threat in the finals to be honest. Our bottom 10 players leave us too exposed at the moment and will soon be found out in a final. Heck I expect a few games coming up will really show our deficiencies quite nicely.

But I do think we have some good young players coming up but they are still 50 games shy of taking the Cats to the next level. Also by the time the next generation is ready to get uis back into the top 4 again some of our current old stars will be gone too.

The times they are changin.

You also got by far the hardest run home.
We've got the best run home.

If we are good enough, we demoralise the opposition and hit september with a wet sail.

If we are not good enough, we miss the 8 and regroup for the 2015+

Soft draws help substandard teams make the 8, hard draws help champion teams ready themselves for september

Well hey you are entitled to your opinion. But I think it has been the senior guys that have actually kept us in games when the young blokes faded out. But that's the beauty of this game we both can look at the same thing and see something different.

Hey JB I like your analogy. IIRC we were being criticised for having a soft draw going into the finals last year and it was for that very reason we were going top fail miserably according to the "experts" at the time.

I think a soft draw can have the advantage of getting your players into the finals relatively fit and fresh. Collingwood had a tough draw into the finals last year and in the end I think it left them with injuries and no petrol in the tank on GF day.

But one thing is sure you can only play the draw you are given.

Geelong just showed a lack of respect against the normally uncompetitive Suns. They need to focus more time think about playing decent football and less time hanging out on the Gold Coast amusement parks.

Well hey you are entitled to your opinion. But I think it has been the senior guys that have actually kept us in games when the young blokes faded out. But that's the beauty of this game we can look at the same thing and see something different.

You're actually both correct! The experienced group have got us over the line in the games we have won but have also not reached anywhere near the heights that they have been at for the past 5 years. Luckily for us, playing inconsistent footy has been just good enough against the teams we have beaten. The next month will determine whether we have another shot to fire though. If we play like we have then we are gone.

Was it me or did Joel Corey look completely lost? I can't believe how much he has fallen this year.

Geelong is facing the reality-train heading towards them for the remainder of the season. It will smack them between the eyes and show just how far they have fallen off the pace. Collingwood will absolutely spank them this week. 60+ points.

But let's hope they make the finals because someone has to make-up the numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back