Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Years of lack of success maybe. They need to change something.
Yep, being a club that was used to regularly winning flags over their history, the fact that they have only won one flag since 1992 would be grating on them.
Hobart having won only one since 1990 is pretty similar. The reality is, neither club are the power they once were. Hobart were very fortunate to be in the wrong place at the right time to secure Alex Gilmour or likely the Tigers would be out of business by now.
North's ego is what's keeping them in the TSL ("played TFL/TSL since 1895", "won 28 premierships", "had "x" number of players drafted" yadi-ya-diya).
Reality is, their glory days are well behind them, their days of having a huge following are long gone as they have abandoned them in droves for years (as they have most clubs) and they simply aren't able to keep up at TSL level any longer.

Again another example of a club choosing the board over the playing group resulting in a massive exodus of players. Players have the power with the lack of numbers these days.

What’s happened at Claremont for this to happen ??? Would hate to see them not be on the park, winless last year wasn’t they ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Apparently they are critically low on numbers but the likelihood at this stage is that they'll go ahead and field a senior team with no reserves and no colts, if that can't be achieved, then they would go into recess.
Their longtime president, Christine Carr stepped down at the end of last season as did their committee and senior coach, so quite a large transition going on at Abbotsfield.
Brighton also not getting great numbers on the track either and not of great quality. A lot of players content to simply play Reserves and not train a lot is the word I've been hearing.
Byron Howard only coaching til the end of this season and stepping down.

Apparently they are critically low on numbers but the likelihood at this stage is that they'll go ahead and field a senior team with no reserves and no colts, if that can't be achieved, then they would go into recess.
Their longtime president, Christine Carr stepped down at the end of last season as did their committee and senior coach, so quite a large transition going on at Abbotsfield.
Brighton also not getting great numbers on the track either and not of great quality. A lot of players content to simply play Reserves and not train a lot is the word I've been hearing.
Byron Howard only coaching til the end of this season and stepping down.

Just have a look at the Northern Suburbs juniors and you will see how this has come about.
Glenorchy who take up the slack of developing juniors have struggled for numbers for a long time.
It’s hindered by Brighton, Claremont and to a degree New Norfolk fielding teams to around under 14/15 and then disbanding due to numbers.
These kids then don’t have a connection to Glenorchy as been playing against them or quit altogether.
It’s as simple as this, it’s broken. There needs to be a fundamental shift in what happens.
IMO there shouldn’t be any junior clubs that don’t have a full connection to senior football
U12,14,15,16,18.
The players can always go to a senior club below them when of age.

Just have a look at the Northern Suburbs juniors and you will see how this has come about.
Glenorchy who take up the slack of developing juniors have struggled for numbers for a long time.
It’s hindered by Brighton, Claremont and to a degree New Norfolk fielding teams to around under 14/15 and then disbanding due to numbers.
These kids then don’t have a connection to Glenorchy as been playing against them or quit altogether.
It’s as simple as this, it’s broken. There needs to be a fundamental shift in what happens.
IMO there shouldn’t be any junior clubs that don’t have a full connection to senior football
U12,14,15,16,18.
The players can always go to a senior club below them when of age.
That's a fair point, It doesn't help when Brighton Academy is somehow connected to Clarence as well.

Yeah junior football is in a right mess at the moment.
The numbers appear to be dropping off every year.
Retention is also another big problem, once they age out of Colts for example, a lot quit footy.
When Hobart went undefeated and won the SFL Colts flag in 2017, most of that team quit footy because they won a flag together and were just happy with that. About 4-5 went on to play 1s but the rest never played again. I don't know what the answer is to be honest.

Retention is also another big problem, once they age out of Colts for example, a lot quit footy.
When Hobart went undefeated and won the SFL Colts flag in 2017, most of that team quit footy because they won a flag together and were just happy with that. About 4-5 went on to play 1s but the rest never played again. I don't know what the answer is to be honest.
Some of those people might've gone to the mainland or university/TAFE.

Less teams. SFL clubs like Claremont, New Norfolk, Sorell, Hobart etc shouldn’t have an 18s team if they don’t have a 16s. No kid will miss out I guarantee it as kids at Nh, Glenorchy, tigers and Dale are doubling up 16s and 18s every week. There’s talk those clubs will really struggle to fill an 18s team this year themselves

Less teams. SFL clubs like Claremont, New Norfolk, Sorell, Hobart etc shouldn’t have an 18s team if they don’t have a 16s. No kid will miss out I guarantee it as kids at Nh, Glenorchy, tigers and Dale are doubling up 16s and 18s every week. There’s talk those clubs will really struggle to fill an 18s team this year themselves
I couldn't imagine SFL Colts only having four sides in the league, especially if the opponent has to verse each other 5 times during the season. I reckon New Norfolk and Hobart will find a way into the league. Sorell past colt players are now overagers, therefore aren't eligible and Claremont are struggling for numbers.

I couldn't imagine SFL Colts only having four sides in the league, especially if the opponent has to verse each other 5 times during the season. I reckon New Norfolk and Hobart will find a way into the league. Sorell past colt players are now overagers, therefore aren't eligible and Claremont are struggling for numbers.
Souther Storm and Lindisfarne have teams through but really struggle with numbers. Southern Storm a lot of the boys double up in their 16s on a Sunday. Some even play for Kingborough 18s. Resulted in a final last year being 13 on 13 as most guys had played too many in 18s, so lost qualification. Meanwhile up the road at Kingborough the 18s didn’t win a game and they didn’t field a 16s. What a farce.

Brighton not fielding Colts this season supposedly.
Claremont, by the looks of it, won't be either.
Southern Storm, Huonville Lions, Lindisfarne, New Norfolk, Hobart are definitely putting teams in.
Would say Dodges and Sorell most likely would be as well but not heard anything out of there yet.
Most likely a seven team comp at Colts level this year.

It's such a shame to see under age footy becoming like this, My daughter plays soccer (is doing auskick this year) she only took up soccer as they allowed her to play as a 5yo but there is 200 kids in the jr club u/6-u/12 not to sure how many kids are in the youth club (u/12-U/18) but every other club seems to have the same numbers if not better. I think you'd struggle to see these number in jr footy.... The soccer club did well in getting in my kids school in the northern suburbs. they had "come and try' sett up after school... I haven't seen any of the northern suburb AFL clubs do this in the school

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Brighton only getting 15-20 on the track at the moment, worrying signs especially after a stronger season just gone.

Any news on how thr ODFA is shaping up? Maybe Brighton should go to that league where they only need to field one team?

5 Teams, short season. Still treading water.

Brighton would never consider it IMO.

Campbell town have moved to a northern comp does this leave just 4? & the camp camp very low on cattle?

Campbell Town was not accepted this year. And Campania are a lot better than they were pre-christmas, but still not sure how they will end up.

The 2021 SFL Seniors Roster is on Sporting Pulse.
All Senior matches scheduled to commence at 2pm with Reserve grade fixtures to commence at 12 Noon.
Colts and Womens rosters not uploaded as yet, presumably as final numbers of teams are still being finalised.

20210207_161200.jpg 20210207_161226.jpg 20210207_161249.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back