Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Matthew Smith taken them back over as coach for the rest of the season to help them out apparently.
He told a mate of mine after Hobart played up there that he's interested in doing the job next season but that the board would need to listen to what he says and put plans into action.
Apparently they are seriously struggling up there at the moment.
Yeah it was quite strange at the time moving Smith on after they won the premiership he obviously had a falling out with someone

Gilmour was also 100% contracted at Richmond for 2020 and 2021 too but we all know how that panned out.

I’ve heard his name linked to Richmond and Uni incidentally.
BVK will definitely be coaching Uni again next year.

Hobart eventually crawled over the top of Claremont to win by 17 points.
I read that the Mont's reserves had their first win in over two years today, beating Hobart.
There must be some serious issues at Hobart because from what I've read, Hobart have had about 6 or 7 Super Rules players as well as the club president and a few other ex players bolstering numbers in recent weeks.
Is Gilmour contracted for next year or is he done?
If he goes and a few follow him that could be a disaster for the Tiges.
Yes contracted until the end of 2023.
Unfortunately the Hobart 2's have been utterly demolished by Covid/Flu/work/injuries the past few weeks.
Burnie Payne could stroll in the gate and we'd put a jumper on him at the moment!
One guy called Magic, hadn't played for a few years, chucked the jumper on all keen to get out and have a kick again - did his calf in the warm up and didn't get to play!
Had seven other blokes from the Master Rules team out there too.

Jack Gleeson failed in his appeal.

The Mercury has reported that he "cannot play football anywhere in Australia ever again" after failing to overturn his suspension for a sling tackle on Huonville’s Matthew Coad.
Wonder if Lindisfarne ordered their premiership t-shirts again all ready

Top five finishes as Lindisfarne, Cygnet, Huonville, Dodges and Sorell.
The Farne eventually got away from Brighton to win by 8 goals out at Pontville.
Cygnet beat Dodges at Cygnet in a very low scoring game, 4 goals to 3, the ground conditions at Cygnet probably the worst its been in 25 years.
Huonville eventually got away from Hobart from about midway through the third and won by just over 10 goals up the TCA.
Sorell won at Boyer for the only time in their history, well since NN joined in 2000 anyway, Sorell by 15 goals.
Next week the EF's between Dodges and Sorell, presumably at Shark Park in the local derby.
The QF will be another local derby, Cygnet and Huonville. Be interesting to see if that game's switched given how bad Cygnet is at the moment.

The grounds are in really bad shape. With womens footy now (increased traffic) and a number of gamedays having bad rain over the past few months. Huonville and Cygnet are both shocking. Lindisfarne hasn’t had access to the back oval all year due to crickets hold most ovals.
The game won’t be moved as the revenue that Cygnet will make is huge.

Most venues now have new facilities, maybe it’s time to try and move to sand based ground. Costly but better money spent then North Melb games or 2.5mil to their womens progam.

The grounds are in really bad shape. With womens footy now (increased traffic) and a number of gamedays having bad rain over the past few months. Huonville and Cygnet are both shocking. Lindisfarne hasn’t had access to the back oval all year due to crickets hold most ovals.

Most venues now have new facilities, maybe it’s time to try and move to sand based ground. Costly but better money spent then North Melb games or 2.5mil to their womens progam.
TCA Ground at 8:30am this morning.
Three STJFL finals matches scheduled all called off.
received_457494699592852.jpeg received_748494563087815.jpeg
received_1706265719738350.jpeg

Looks like I was wrong. Game moved to Kermandie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like I was wrong. Game moved to Kermandie.
Yup, and Huonville ended up rolling Cygnet pretty easily which was a surprise.
Bloke I know from Hobart reckoned Huonville were pretty ordinary last week until big Micky Paul and Ethan Brock turned it on late in the third quarter to clear away from the Tigers, maybe the very heavy track at Cygnet wore the Port down against Dodges last week, fresher legs for the Lions a big factor perhaps?
Port and Dodges will meet again in the 1st Semi next week after the Sharks led all day to beat Sorell at Dodges by 4 goals, Eagles never in it all day in their first finals appearance for 12 years.
Next week Lindisfarne v Huonville in the 2nd Semi probably at Anzac Park, Cygnet and Dodges maybe at Cygnet, weather depending.

Still think it'll be the Farne playing Cygnet in the big one but both look a bit shaky getting towards the finish line.
Huonville's sh*t start came back to bite them on the ass, good comeback but too late.
Sharks were all over the Port for the first three quarters but Cygnet were able to scream home on their home deck to win by two goals.
Cygnet's ground still very poor, surprised they never held it at Snug or Kermandie
Two Blues into the grand final, the two Huon rivals play in the prelim final.

The forward pocket closest to the bar at the top end was ridiculously soft. Noticed Halton literally sinking in it as he went back for a set shot. He missed a couple in the last term, could’ve kicked four for the quarter.

^ rumour has it that the prelim might be held out at Claremont as the Cygnet ground is not up to scratch, Kermandie is barely up to 60s standard and NH Oval is already booked for the Old Scholars grand final day.

Prelim used to always be at the League Headquarters, wherever it was. Obviously changed since I followed the SFL closely.

Prelim used to always be at the League Headquarters, wherever it was. Obviously changed since I followed the SFL closely.
Most years although I think it was at Brighton a couple of times and Huonville too.
That'd be cos NHO is already booked and playing it Sunday would disadvantage the prelim final winner.

Says in the paper Huonville. Do they become the higher seed after winning that week 1 qualifying game?
Ah well there ya go, must admit, it would probably make more sense playing there than at Claremont.
And Cygnet wouldn't have any fears of playing there

Believe it changed in 2020 due to COVID venue limits (i.e. it allowed them to split the games and have more at each venue). Clubs now seem to be happy enough with it, so has stayed that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back