Sports Movies During Isolation

Remove this Banner Ad

We are Marshall.. fantastic college football flick
The Basketball Diaries - not overly sport related, but great performance by a teenage DiCaprio

Watched Crackerjack again last night, geez the acting is so bad, but a great movie to take you back to another time & it was great fun. 16 y/o son got a good laugh out of it.

Another sports movie is Invincible. A gridiron movie based on a true story starring Mark Wahlberg.

A couple of others I liked...Tin Cup for golf enthusiasts and Slap Shot, for ice hockey fans who aren't squeamish!

Just quietly...how many ******* sports movies has Kevin Costner been in?

Costner made a baseball movie called 'For Love of the Game' about a retiring Detroit Tigers pitcher who was throwing a perfect game (where no batter makes it on base) in his very last game. It was at Yankee Stadium. All came down to the last pitch.

1586502549478.jpeg

I'm the guy in the crowd behind the lady in the white/blue shirt, my brother is next to me. We were road tripppin across the States and got jobs as extras. Popped up on screen for a second for the final pitch. Not a great movie, but did go to no1 for a week.

I really strongly recommend "The Battered Bastards of Baseball" on Netflix

There are a lot of fascinating twists and it is apparently all true

It is the story of a privately owned minor league team doing battle in a league full of farm teams from major league squads. Kurt Russell's father Bing owned the team and Kurt played for them (i don't mean acting in this movie - Kurt really played for the real life team). They pulled together a squad of second chance misfits by declaring an "open practice" where guys came from all over the states to try to get a chance.

Netflix will never ever show you this title on any recommendation, you have to type the name in. It also probably won't appear on your "watch again" recommendations

Finally got around to watching Draft Day last night.. I reckon for anyone who doesnt follow drafting/recruiting/sport really closely, it would boring as bat s**t. But geez, i was on the edge of my seat!!

30 years ago now but still has one of the best sound tracks and some sick surfing. The part where Occy is surfing Reunion Island to the music of Concrete Blonde is all time. Enjoy !

13. The Longest Yard - a remake of an older movie about American football, unfortunately has Adam Sandler (so unbelievable as a sportsman), but it contains some absolute beasts that will get you wanting to get into the home gym equipment. It does for me anyway. Chris Rock & Tracy Morgan are funny in it.
I watched the original (on foxtel on demand) with Burt Reynolds a couple of nights ago. I can't imagine Sandler in that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of mine are from when I was a kid but:

Mighty Ducks 1, 2 & 3 - the first two are quite fun, but the third one hits in a different way. Really good ending to the trilogy about the whole team growing up a bit.

Cool Runnings - My cousins and I quote this one endlessly. An overzealous teammate of mine went beserk used the "Pride, Power, Bad Ass Mother" speech to rev up my team at half time in our hockey GF last year. We ended up winning 4-1.

Waterboy and Happy Gilmore - really silly Adam Sandler comedies, but I think they do the competition side of things quite well. 10 year old was cheering for the Mud Dogs big time :p

And some later ones:

Moneyball - really good movie. I actually see a bit of Ross Lyon in Brad Pitt's character. Loved him sticking to his guns with everyone within the club and the media having a go at him. Pretty much any scene with him and Jonah Hill together is gold. Superior to Draft Day in every way.

Has anyone here seen the Tonya Harding documentary? I haven't seen it yet and was wondering if it was worth the watch.

Gotta add a +1 on The Rookie and Field of Dreams. Not a big baseball fan but do love both those movies.

Also gotta add "Wind" - that god-awful, really-bloody-laughable sailing movie from the early 90's, famous only for being shot in Fremantle, and featuring yours truly as a crew member and extra on the Leuwin during filming. (Ended up on the cutting room floor unfortunately... if only the rest of the film had ended up there too).

Uncle Drew is pretty great

30 years ago now but still has one of the best sound tracks and some sick surfing. The part where Occy is surfing Reunion Island to the music of Concrete Blonde is all time. Enjoy !

I remember we used to hire/buy/copy just about any surfing or bodyboarding video around a similar time. Back then as a bodyboarder it was all about the Riptide magazine, churchill flippers and guys like Wingnut and Eppo. I'm pretty sure My Manta Pro Hawke 2 was one of the first things that I ever saved up for to buy for myself.

Have to mention The Endless Summer (1966) and The Endless Summer II (1994) both well worth a watch, like Dogtown and Z-boys (Skateboarding) they're entertaining and lots of interesting history for stuff that really influenced youth culture, especially if you grew up near a beach.

Watched the documentary on Foxtel on Demand on the Boston Marathon bombing, think it is called 'Marathon - the Patriots Day bombing' or something like that. Really good, has lots of real footage, follows a few victims that lost limbs including two brothers that lost a leg each, and a newlywed couple that both lost a leg. Has their recovery etc, plus the chase for the perpetrators. Not really sport but interesting nonetheless.
Also watching the Last Dance as it comes out, enjoying that as well.

I'm a cricket tragic (as well as footy) and the doco fire in Babylon about the rise of the great West Indies teams of the 70s and 80s is absolutely awesome. Some good F1 docos around also - the Netflix drive to survive series is good but 1- life on the edge about the history of the sport is fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back