Stars/FTP/UB/AP shut down for US players

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't forget a great place to remain update is Twitter.

psannounce.png

Wow haven't been paying much attention to online poker news for a week and I head over to 2+2 and see this. Cant say i'm shocked as this day has been coming for a long time. Especially over the last couple of months with all the problems with payment processors.

Pretty sad day really as it reminds you freedom isn't as free as you think. Will be really interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks as far as guarantees go. I think they've decreased a few already.

What sort of ramifications will it have for Australian players? Think we'll eventually follow suit? I'd like to think not. I took my cash off a while ago as i was taking a break, but one thing for sure is i won't be keeping much cash online anymore.

I'll continue to play. I was actually considering getting back into again. Games will certainly be softer without all the US players one would think.

Going to be a hell of alot of professional players that are suddenly in a tough spot. Will we see a flood of sharks hitting the live tables grinding out 20 hands an hour? Personally if i was in their position i would have been searching for a alternate for of income a long time ago, as this was always going to happen eventually. Interesting times ahead.

Is this the end of online poker? I think we have to face up to the fact that maybe it is. FTP and Stars will close to Australian players soon, as the legislative environment is not dissimilar to the US. I guess the Euro sites will stay open for Euro players, but we may well find Australia is eventually cut off there too (some iPoker sites are already closed to Aussie players).

Anyone looking to hire a out of work 180 grinder? Im good at making meals with in 5 mins and reaching bonuses.

Fwiw i think the games will get a lot softer and easier to beat. I think players like myself will need to find a new game, maybe mtts round the $55s will become a lot softer. The days of 30 tabling sngs are over

I called it like 4 years ago and everyone hounded me. It will be dead very soon unless things change. Quite simply online poker will return when the following sites listed act within the laws handed out to them. For too long now they have run around like a anarchy thinking they are above and beyond everything. The US government were pretty clear in what they wanted from these sites and not only did they ignore it, they pretty much gave them the finger

As has been noted IPoker has been banned in Australia. Will be completely banned soon enough. Complaints galore were received. The real knife in the gut came when one IPoker company was found to have targeted a community of problem gamblers to there website. Some fairly big time problem gamblers with big money and criminal links to boot. Clearly want there websites used to launder money when you target those who well openly launder money.

I dont hate poker but when companies like PokerStars/FTP run around making the Pakistani cricket team look fair and balanced then something surely has to be done. The poker community IMO will be bewildered by just how much fraud and corruption went on within the industry. It will extend beyond this. WSOP will be dead very soon too

I called it like 4 years ago and everyone hounded me. It will be dead very soon unless things change. Quite simply online poker will return when the following sites listed act within the laws handed out to them. For too long now they have run around like a anarchy thinking they are above and beyond everything. The US government were pretty clear in what they wanted from these sites and not only did they ignore it, they pretty much gave them the finger

What options did they have? Retreat from their biggest market completely? It's absolute bullshit, and I'm sure they would have sought a license if one was made available to them.

The people that are going to get stung here are the players.

There will be a massive bank run now, if I had a significant amount online I'd be doing whatever I can atm to get it out.

This is like a godsend for anyone who grinds a lot online especially tournies ( like me).

I'm not really worried about any of my funds either, having said that I never keep much in the actually sites itself but rather in ewallets. I think I draw some comfort from the fact that if party poker managed to survive then ftp/stars will as well maybe I'm just naive but **** it I am degen enough to let it ride.

How is ipoker banned in australia by the way? I play on there regularly? Are you sure you guys aren't talking about merge network?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not really worried about any of my funds either, having said that I never keep much in the actually sites itself but rather in ewallets. I think I draw some comfort from the fact that if party poker managed to survive then ftp/stars will as well maybe I'm just naive but **** it I am degen enough to let it ride.

Partypoker got a non-prosecution agreement and paid a $300m fine, which was what, at least a couple years ago.

You'd have to think that full-tilt and stars are going to cop at the absolute minimum a similar penalty (especially if these dodgy golf ball/flower allegations are actually true).

Who knows, but seeing paid pro's like durrrr say and that people might have to wait two months or maybe more to get their cash out doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Obviously continue to play especially if your going to get overlays in mtt's etc, but I just wouldn't have any significant part of your roll in there. Obviously you already take measures to limit your exposure and I'm probably being overly cautious but just saying.

Pretty f'd up situation.

wrt to ipoker, what skin are you using? I tried to sign up with williamhill the other day and I couldn't, then tried bet365 and boylepoker and they wouldn't work either.

If anyone comes across any good videos about this situation, please post a link here (or embed if on youtube).

LOL, just found something. You can stop watching after 0:54.

[youtube]QdYJ1lgn-rU[/youtube]

I'm sure it's been mentioned in various places, but the DoJ chose to act on April 15, that is, Tax Day in the US (kind of like October 30 here I guess).

It is also one day shy of the arrest of Daniel Tzvetkoff last year.

What options did they have? Retreat from their biggest market completely? It's absolute bullshit, and I'm sure they would have sought a license if one was made available to them.

The people that are going to get stung here are the players.

There will be a massive bank run now, if I had a significant amount online I'd be doing whatever I can atm to get it out.

Umm yes. Fraud, money laundering, bribes, criminal involvment amongst other things wasnt the way to do it. Not only were they laundering money they were engaging other criminal organisations to get involved in the act and give them a slice.

The players deserve to be stung really because they got involved with a criminal organisation.

One thing that does need to be explained is the ACTUAL amount of profit these companies were making. I think when its all said and done the numbers arnt going to be good reading for those poker players thinking they were getting a good deal by jumping on the net

This is like a godsend for anyone who grinds a lot online especially tournies ( like me).

How is ipoker banned in australia by the way? I play on there regularly? Are you sure you guys aren't talking about merge network?

I have a number of existing iPoker accounts, but Paddy Power closed to Australians some time ago, and the last couple of times I tried to sign up it didn't work.

I also have money in eWallets, but I would guess that they are now a bit risky too.

One thing that does need to be explained is the ACTUAL amount of profit these companies were making. I think when its all said and done the numbers arnt going to be good reading for those poker players thinking they were getting a good deal by jumping on the net

Why? you don't play against a site. Every site would be making an absolute killing. That doesn't mean players online aren't getting a fantastic deal.

I have a number of existing iPoker accounts, but Paddy Power closed to Australians some time ago, and the last couple of times I tried to sign up it didn't work.

I also have money in eWallets, but I would guess that they are now a bit risky too.

I play on Titan and occasionally uncover poker and both work fine.

I don't see why eWallets would be risky? IIRC Neteller cut a deal with the US Government a couple years back when they were going through all their problems and now they don't open their services to Americans. Moneybookers doesn't open their service to Americans either and they are a UK based company listed on the UK stock exchange, IIRC.

Why? you don't play against a site. Every site would be making an absolute killing. That doesn't mean players online aren't getting a fantastic deal.

In relation to what they are providing its a terrible deal. When compared to the competition its fantastic but the competition is well laughable and even more corrupt then the owners of these sites

Remove this Banner Ad

Back