#startthecarr

Remove this Banner Ad

Carr the player was tough, not the faux-tough we have had in recent times.

I’d be ok with him as the figurehead long term but the real issue would be whether he keeps all the wood-duck assistants like Bassett and Cornes.
We're currently ranked 6th in terms of points scored, only behind Sydney, Collingwood, Melbourne, Adelaide and Essendon. Collingwood and Melbourne are probably the two best teams, and Essendon and Sydney have both gotten to play Hawthorn already which has inflated their totals, while Adelaide has gotten to play us - all three of them have had easy to score against sides that we haven't yet.

Our forward line is looking good, even while carrying a massively out of form MG, its not the issue. Dixon is actually trying to mark, our smalls like Butters are playing like genuine crumbers again, and there is already some synergy with Rioli, Todd, etc. On the basis of the three rounds so far, Chad shouldn't be in the firing line.

Yeah I'm just not sure yet. The hashtag is quality. Did love Josh as a player, his love for the club and fans is real.

We're currently ranked 6th in terms of points scored, only behind Sydney, Collingwood, Melbourne, Adelaide and Essendon. Collingwood and Melbourne are probably the two best teams, and Essendon and Sydney have both gotten to play Hawthorn already which has inflated their totals, while Adelaide has gotten to play us - all three of them have had easy to score against sides that we haven't yet.

Our forward line is looking good, even while carrying a massively out of form MG, its not the issue. Dixon is actually trying to mark, our smalls like Butters are playing like genuine crumbers again, and there is already some synergy with Rioli, Todd, etc. On the basis of the three rounds so far, Chad shouldn't be in the firing line.

That’s fine but if the replacement isn’t Carr the new coach will be bringing their own team of assistants so Chad will most likely be gone anyway.

That’s fine but if the replacement isn’t Carr the new coach will be bringing their own team of assistants so Chad will most likely be gone anyway.
True and quite possible. If we can get in a proven forwards line coach then that's great.

I'm just saying I reckon if we don't have that and end up with Cornes again with the forwards I'm not going to be upset with that if the year keeps going the way its going.

I think the game might have gone past Bass, its obviously gone past Ken, and regardless of what happens I don't see Carr being our midfield coach next year (as if we don't make him senior coach he would surely at least be elevated to senior assistant). I just think those roles are the more crucial ones to fill right now (defensive coach, midfield coach, senior coach). I'm keeping an open mind though and might change this opinion in a couple of months.

One thing to consider is that with our already stripped back coaching dept, sacking Hinkley and shifting Carr into caretaker Head Coach role, is how we resource our coaching dept for the remainder of the season.

Can we pull someone in from elsewhere for just this season?
Or do we just suck it and live with having a less than bare bones coaching panel?

One thing to consider is that with our already stripped back coaching dept, sacking Hinkley and shifting Carr into caretaker Head Coach role, is how we resource our coaching dept for the remainder of the season.

Or do we just suck it and live with having a less than bare bones coaching panel?
Addition by subtraction.

I was thinking this today.

We might have get Shaun to actually do something.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Josh was premiership coach of North Adelaide he wasn't an insecure egomaniac and had Jenny Williams working with his league and reserves players because he appreciated what she brought when he was a player.
And kept her under control, which is vitally important.

I think I've got a relatively low cost option that would be just as good as Ken...

02592174.jpg

Carr was a great, tough Port warrior, has done AFL apprenticeships at two clubs PLUS put his name on the line and coached in his own right (and was very successful). This means a lot. Big difference between being a head coach and an assistant.

Too many gutless wonder assistant coaches doing the rounds - scared to be the main man at any level.
Port have the right bloke under their noses now... Josh Carr.
And he's nothing like Stinkers.

Ok a succession plan without due process?

That makes it easy.

Bring the date forward. We lose badly to the Swans JC isn't caretaker he's the coach with a 3 year contract. We'll cut him some slack this year.

Maybe he is different to Ken?

The idea that there is a succession plan in place without having done due process is completely bizarre and irresponsible but better than 16 more weeks of Ken.

I don't think Carr is a Hinkley disciple.

He was a ruthless footballer and has the right mentality.
He coached a flag in his own right at SANFL level, breaking a 27 year drought for that club.
He spent 3 seasons at Freo where they've had a top quality developing program over the past couple of seasons, going through a full rebuild and making the finals last season.
He comes across as intelligent and well spoken, even when he's lying to cover up the failures of his boss.

That's a pretty solid apprenticeship.

I know we keep saying "go external", but Carr is hardly fully ingrained in the Hinkley system and he's done a very solid apprenticeship. He's probably not my first choice but he's absolutely got the resume and the ruthless attitude.

I don't think Carr is a Hinkley disciple.

He was a ruthless footballer and has the right mentality.
He coached a flag in his own right at SANFL level, breaking a 27 year drought for that club.
He spent 3 seasons at Freo where they've had a top quality developing program over the past couple of seasons, going through a full rebuild and making the finals last season.
He comes across as intelligent and well spoken, even when he's lying to cover up the failures of his boss.

That's a pretty solid apprenticeship.

I know we keep saying "go external", but Carr is hardly fully ingrained in the Hinkley system and he's done a very solid apprenticeship. He's probably not my first choice but he's absolutely got the resume and the ruthless attitude.
You've talked me into being ok with Carr haha

Nah

Schofield, dimma or Bucks though
Has a coach of one club gone to coach another club in the 21st century?

The thing to realise is that if we appoint an external coach we will lose Carr.

Last edited:
I believe the Carr succession plan is a thing. This is all Koch's way of pushing out Ken while not getting that core of players seemingly devoted to him offside. it all fits with his stability mantra.
IMHO koch should be cleared of immediately he has been the architect of the the greatest debacle in the history of this club and should not touch anything

It seems like it.

Ken didn't seem impressed in his presser.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I don’t think Ken was too bad about it. Seemed light-hearted enough.

FWIW, watching the replay, Hinkley’s interactions with the players on the bench were quite interesting. You could see Bergman quite animated at one stage and then supportive of Rioli a few minutes later when Ken was addressing him. I really liked it for a change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back