All Australian
Jul 10, 2007
Around Tasmania
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Northern Tassie
State League Round 2 - Saturday
Burnie v Launceston at West Park, South Launceston v Clarence at Youngtown, North Hobart v Lauderdale at North Hobart (ABC1 match of the day), North Launceston v Devonport at Aurora Stadium (4pm),

Glenorchy v Hobart at KGV (Sunday)

Another even round of matches is in prospect and although the ABC match of the day is at North Hobart it is really the match between North Launceston and Devonport that will attract the most attention. Both sides are first round losers and whoever goes under in this one will find life very difficult at 0-2. How Devonport rebound after losing the unloseable match to Burnie at home will be something to watch.

The other matches between Glenorchy and Hobart and North Hobart v Lauderdale look straight forward for both home sides. Clarence should overhaul South but could feel the pinch from only a 5 day break while Launceston will bring Burnie back to earth with a solid victory.

Predictions: Launceston by 40, Clarence by 25, North Hobart by 50, Devonport by 10, Glenorchy by 75

State League Round 2 - Saturday
Burnie v Launceston at West Park, South Launceston v Clarence at Youngtown, North Hobart v Lauderdale at North Hobart (ABC1 match of the day), North Launceston v Devonport at Aurora Stadium (4pm),

Glenorchy v Hobart at KGV (Sunday)

Another even round of matches is in prospect and although the ABC match of the day is at North Hobart it is really the match between North Launceston and Devonport that will attract the most attention. Both sides are first round losers and whoever goes under in this one will find life very difficult at 0-2. How Devonport rebound after losing the unloseable match to Burnie at home will be something to watch.

The other matches between Glenorchy and Hobart and North Hobart v Lauderdale look straight forward for both home sides. Clarence should overhaul South but could feel the pinch from only a 5 day break while Launceston will bring Burnie back to earth with a solid victory.

Predictions: Launceston by 40, Clarence by 25, North Hobart by 50, Devonport by 10, Glenorchy by 75

Sat 10/Apr
Burnie vs Launceston
Launceston have two inform marking targets in Finch and O'Donahue and Burnie will find it tough to match them up. Playing at West Park will assist the young Dockers, but Launceston will be too strong.
Launceston by 34pts

North Hobart vs Lauderdale
Nth Hobart should have too many key players all over the ground for the Bombers. The bombers will try hard but will not be able to match it with the demons. The demons should hold ascendency through the midfield and control the game through the likes of the Hall, Street, Brown and Divenuto. Is there still room for the great R Devine in the demons forward line?
Nth Hobart by 36pts

South Launceston vs Clarence
Like the previous match, Clarence should be too strong. Demonstrated that they will be hard to beat this year, in the Grand Final rematch on Monday night. Sth should be buoyed by the return of Mayne, Buller and Hills, but they will be lucky to score eight goals against the Roos.
Clarence by 50pts

North Launceston vs Devonport
Nth Launceston have a good midfield and I expect them to control proceedings in this twilight match. Devonport were disappointing last week and I am tipping them them to go down again. "Mastermind" Atkins to chalk up his first win as TSL coach. Crawford to excel as I dont think Devonport have a suitable match up. Ponsoby?
Nth Bombers by 15pts.

Sun 11/Apr
Glenorchy vs Hobart
Glenorchy to bounce back hard from its defeat on Easter Monday. The Pies have some injury concerns and a few days less to recover as well which could come into play. Hobart's defensive line up will have its hands full with the Glenorchy forward line, as well as Bowden and Bowring floating around the flanks.
Glenorchy by 40pts

Sun 11/Apr
Glenorchy vs Hobart
Glenorchy to bounce back hard from its defeat on Easter Monday. The Pies have some injury concerns and a few days less to recover as well which could come into play. Hobart's defensive line up will have its hands full with the Glenorchy forward line, as well as Bowden and Bowring floating around the flanks.
Glenorchy by 40pts
Astute observations CB :)
This will be a crucial match for both sides, Glenorchy will be out to atone for last night's little display and will want to get the show back on the road ASAP at the risk of dropping 0-2 down early on.
Hobart will want to improve a hell of a lot on their display (and attitude) from Good Friday where they really didn't fire a shot all afternoon and probably expected to turn up and win which you just can't do at this level now (and that's a good thing).
One way of guaging whether Hobart is a true finals aspirant or not (from someone who has watched them for many, many years) is how they handle the bigger grounds in the league (ie: KGV, Bellerive, Devonport, York Park, Windsor Park, Youngtown and in the past, Boyer).
If they put in creditable performances at those venues and jag enough wins there, they will more than likely be a finalist, if they don't and continue to get pumped at these venues, then they won't be a show at all.
Hobart has had one win and a draw at KGV since 1992, so our record is not at all appealing there, so, if Hobart really wants to get themselves back on track, a good performance out there on Sunday is a must.
The Pies have got some injury concerns plus the quick turnover from yesterday's match, but at this moment I can't really see Hobart being able to cover the Pies better players and kick a winning score at the same time, if we defend like we did on Friday, I can see Pud kicking a skip-bin full on us and we cannot afford to have more 40, 50, 60, 70+ point losses.
I look for Hobart to challenge at some point, but overall, the Pies by 37 points in the end with Pud being the difference.

PS: It'll be some sort of gala-day type thing out there on Sunday, with Glenorchy opening the brand new Cresswell-Beakley Stand, replacing the old one that got burnt down in 2007.
Hope to see a good turnout for the match.

Launceston by 66 points
North Hobart by 120+ points
Clarence by 6 goals
Devonport by 7 goals
Hobart 3 goals

The game i am interested in is the Hobart v Glenorchy one. Think Hobart will win, both teams struggled on the weekend and the extra 2 day break for Hobart and with them being so young and slight, the big wide expanses of KGV will suit their running ability. I take Kingpins point abount winning once since '92 at KGV but this team is younger and completely different to previous years. As long as Hobart dont continue to switch the ball on the last line of defense they should go ok. I studied the tape of the game during the week and noticed 4 goals from N Hobart came via turnovers inside Hobarts back 50 and another 6 goals resulted directly from 50m penalties. Glenorchy were not impressive at all on Monday and should of been beaten by more, if Hobart can shut down Bowden and Bowering it will go along way towards winning.

Hobarts keys i believe are their tall forwards which could stretch Glenorchy if Cassidy, Reeves and Howe all play in the 50m arc. Their regional league recruits will be better after their first games Young, Howe, Johnson etc.

Launceston by 66 points
North Hobart by 120+ points
Clarence by 6 goals
Devonport by 7 goals
Hobart 3 goals

The game i am interested in is the Hobart v Glenorchy one. Think Hobart will win, both teams struggled on the weekend and the extra 2 day break for Hobart and with them being so young and slight, the big wide expanses of KGV will suit their running ability. I take Kingpins point abount winning once since '92 at KGV but this team is younger and completely different to previous years. As long as Hobart dont continue to switch the ball on the last line of defense they should go ok. I studied the tape of the game during the week and noticed 4 goals from N Hobart came via turnovers inside Hobarts back 50 and another 6 goals resulted directly from 50m penalties. Glenorchy were not impressive at all on Monday and should of been beaten by more, if Hobart can shut down Bowden and Bowering it will go along way towards winning.

Hobarts keys i believe are their tall forwards which could stretch Glenorchy if Cassidy, Reeves and Howe all play in the 50m arc. Their regional league recruits will be better after their first games Young, Howe, Johnson etc.

Reeves has done nothing and will need to prove himself. Was carrying on a bit last week, whereas he just needs to concentrate on doing something to help his team win!

Went to the game today actually, North were way too slick and way too good for Lauderdale. Far far too good.

Yes it was just like last week I'm afraid, men playing boys. It looks like south launy & lauderdale are in for long seasons. Hobart have a chance to stay competitive or join those two in the long season group today. 4-5 G players out will give H some chance I would reckon. I'm not wasting another $8(+beers:D) today, so if anyone gets some scores can u put them up please.

Final Scores
Nth Hobart 18.15 (123) v Lauderdale 6.13 (49) – North Hobart Oval
Clarence 20.15 (135) v Sth Launceston 8.9 (57) – Youngtown Memorial Ground
Burnie 16.17 (113) v Launceston 13.5 (83) – West Park Oval
Nth Launceston 11.10 (76) v Devonport 8.14 (62) – Aurora Stadium (Night)
Glenorchy 20.6 (126) v Hobart 12.11 (83) – KGV Football Park (Sunday)

Went to KGV and had a look at the match today, Pies ended up winning by 43-points but they didn't have it all their own way and were challenged a couple of times by Hobart.
Glenorchy came out strongly, Hobart attacked constantly in the last 10 mins of the first quarter to get back into it, starting strongly again in the second quarter but were wasteful in front of goals missing several easy shots before they dropped off their intensity.
The Pies were able to lift and gradually ease away for the next quarter and half and had pretty much built up a match winning lead by mid-third quarter.
Cassidy and Aaron Hall began to lift Hobart in the latter stages of the third quarter and banged on a few quick ones to get the margin back to twenty points at the final change.
Glenorchy came out in the final quarter and quickly got the first three to put the game beyond doubt, the margin stayed around that 6-7 goals mark for the rest of the day.
An improved performance from Hobart, lacked nothing in endeavour, just not the skill or polish which Glenorchy had to get them over the line.
Heath Neville came off just before half-time for Hobart with a groin injury and Jarrat Horton also got hurt in the first quarter and took no further part in the match.
Michael Darcy struggled again, looked completely out of place actually, kicked one goal from a soft free kick, kicked a point from 30m out later on in the game but had no more than two or three kicks all day, Hunt kicked a few by the looks of it.
Glenorchy still look a bit off the pace at the moment but once they get everything sorted should be there abouts again.

CLARENCE playing-coach Brett Geappen has sent an ominous warning to the other nine TSL clubs.

He believes this year's Roos team is better than last year's premiership side. "The Mercury"
Salary Cap Rorting, Rape and Pillage of other clubs juniors, Every Football League in Australia has teams like Clarence, So full of themselves that it makes you wanna vomit.
All we can hope is that they do go through the year undefeated and then cop it in the clakka on GF Day (Re 1973)

CLARENCE playing-coach Brett Geappen has sent an ominous warning to the other nine TSL clubs.

He believes this year's Roos team is better than last year's premiership side. "The Mercury"
Salary Cap Rorting, Rape and Pillage of other clubs juniors, Every Football League in Australia has teams like Clarence, So full of themselves that it makes you wanna vomit.
All we can hope is that they do go through the year undefeated and then cop it in the clakka on GF Day (Re 1973)

TACCA, what do you know about the salary cap "rorting" and raping of other club's juniors? Sounds interesting!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I'd love to know who is paying their bills. They have a lot of expensive cattle on the park, & have done for many years now. Now they have the GF at BRO it gives them a huge advantage. I dont see any northern clubs strong enough to take the GF to L'ton. So they will dominate while H, SL, & L'dale flounder. It will be even better when Kingston & Ulverstone are forced into the competition, Wont the standard be great then:rolleyes:. Yep this comp is certainly going places! Will it last 5 years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back