Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

RupieDupie

Guru
Jun 30, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Stephen Hawking has made some very dire predictions regarding the future of the humanity and the chances of survival due to;

Climate Change
Artificial Intelligence
Nuclear Weapons
Disease

But on a long enough time span the survival rate of any(thing) drops to zero (paraphrasing Fight Club), as well as, given a long enough list of doomsday/apocalyptic scenarios one/some becomes more likely. This leads to a Deadpool of sorts for humanity. What are your thought on what will cause humanity's demise and which one are you betting on?

Climate Change
Artificial Intelligence
Nuclear Weapons
Disease
Asteroid Collision
Overpopulation
Return or Initial visit of Divine Being
WWIII
Other <Please list here>
Combination of some of the above

Stephen Hawking has made some very dire predictions regarding the future of the humanity and the chances of survival due to;

Climate Change
Artificial Intelligence
Nuclear Weapons
Disease

But on a long enough time span the survival rate of any(thing) drops to zero (paraphrasing Fight Club), as well as, given a long enough list of doomsday/apocalyptic scenarios one/some becomes more likely. This leads to a Deadpool of sorts for humanity. What are your thought on what will cause humanity's demise and which one are you betting on?

Climate Change
Artificial Intelligence
Nuclear Weapons
Disease
Asteroid Collision
Overpopulation
Return or Initial visit of Divine Being
WWIII
Other <Please list here>
Combination of some of the above

AI. The rewards of developing it are so high, both financially and for humanity, that I feel it's bound to happen. A self-learning computer that processes infinitely faster than us, will be a dominant species, and if their interests diverge from ours, it's the end of humanity.

Fortunately, I don't think this is a bad thing.

On over population:

We are experiencing unprecedented exponential growth. Throughout history, war and disease has kept population in check.

Antibiotics, etc have given us perhaps a priviliged window of time to exist. I think mass disease is a real possibility to keep growth in check. Could perhaps be the solution to anthropogenic climate change.

The question remains - are there enough resources for everybody? AI is scary, but what if it becomes a benevolent dictator of sorts, that can provide for the world in a way that is fair? Would we feel oppressed but content?

War does seem a real possibility though. Read the news from the first half of this century and there are disturbing parallels.

AI is scary, but what if it becomes a benevolent dictator of sorts, that can provide for the world in a way that is fair? Would we feel oppressed but content?
I for one welcome our AI overlords. As long as there is an army of SJW's around to keep SkyNet in check.

In all seriousness though, would not surprise me if we are done in by religious wars.

Then God can give Nietzsche the middle finger: Mankind is dead, and I have killed them.

738044-terminators.jpg

The population in African countries tends to grow unsustainably in famine and war-zones where the West keeps throwing food at them.

Its countries like ours, North America & Europe who are using the worlds resources at a far greater rate than places like Africa. Thats the real problem. I heard it said that if everyone on the planet lived at the same standard of living then we'd need to live on a planet 9 times the size of earth.

Food for thought, pardon the pun ;)

Probably in around 850 years when domestic nuclear fusion and Islam are center of the universe.

That or a Brad Scott clone sells the world to hostile Andromeda residents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What, you mean that I am supposed to believe Steven Hawking instead of Andrew Bolt, Tony Abbott, Donal Trump, Hanson, Chris Kenny, Paul Murray, Panahi, Albrechtson, Samantha Maiden, most of the Liberal party, all of Family First and the National Party, Jones, Hadley ............. ??

Your joking aren't ya? What the f**k does Hawking know about this stuff?

What, you mean that I am supposed to believe Steven Hawking instead of Andrew Bolt, Tony Abbott, Donal Trump, Hanson, Chris Kenny, Paul Murray, Panahi, Albrechtson, Samantha Maiden, most of the Liberal party, all of Family First and the National Party, Jones, Hadley ............. ??

obviously * all.

I'm leaning towards Explanation Group 1, number 3: We're ******!
Well, self loathing can eventuate in suicide on an individual level.

We seem to be taking this outlook to the mainstream.

We all enjoy a challenge, even if we have to drag our society through the ringer and leave it gasping for air until we fight back.

AI. The rewards of developing it are so high, both financially and for humanity, that I feel it's bound to happen. A self-learning computer that processes infinitely faster than us, will be a dominant species, and if their interests diverge from ours, it's the end of humanity.

Fortunately, I don't think this is a bad thing.

And we are slowly adapting to life under a power structure with diverging interests, my understanding is the Australian public is probably 11th in a list of 12 Key Stakeholders that the government looks after.

An issue only becomes a political issue, to be taken seriously, when certain Key Stakeholders can get some serious "cha-ching!" out of the issue.

Said it before we're the last generation to live.

Im betting on AI triggering the singlularity or similar 'Technological experiment gone wrong' (LHC?) with nuclear war a distant third.
If I believed this, I wouldn't have kids. Disease, overpopulation, war and climate change will all have an effect and rein in the population, but if we're looking for the end of the human race, it's probably an asteroid collision in the distant future.

If I believed this, I wouldn't have kids. Disease, overpopulation, war and climate change will all have an effect and rein in the population, but if we're looking for the end of the human race, it's probably an asteroid collision in the distant future.
Wouldn't have thought so.

The odds of space providing a big enough lump to devastate humanity would be astronomical.

Juggling nuclear fusion and forced reciting of the Koran are actually possible in the next 5000 years.

Back