Straz, Devon, Polony, Fritz, Windsor Sausage, Luncheon Meat

What did you call luncheon meat growing up?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fritz is rugby league country. Devon southern Australia. Polony in WA.

It's one of the language markers you can use to separate Australian English into dialects.

How the Barassi Line doesn't have more land mines and armed encampments per square metre than the North/South Korean border is nothing short of a miracle!

...A particular eccentricity of the Australian sporting landscape is that, culturally, our football codes remain strongly tied to their geographic origins.

Australian rules originates from Melbourne, with the southwestern states as heartlands. The rugby codes made their Australian sporting debut in Sydney, with northeastern states as heartlands.

This phenomenon was dubbed “the Barassi Line” in 1978, describing a cultural dividing line based on football preference proposed to run from Eden, NSW, through Canberra and up to Arnhem Land. The term was first used by historian Ian Turner in his Ron Barassi Memorial Lecture that year...

Straz (short for strassburg) and devon were two separate things. We had both.

We also had presswurst in the house quite a bit:

RS44-Presswurst-250_600x600.jpg

Looks similar to what I fed my kittens this morning.

Little boys is what we call them
lets welcome rolf harris to the chat

so thats SA yeh?
i am from WA and always had them as cocktail franks, or franks
in qld where i have been they do cheerios apparently - confused * oiut of me when my step kids said they wanted cheerios on weekend for lunch and i was like, what? cereal?

so thats SA yeh?
in qld where i have been they do cheerios apparently - confused * oiut of me when my step kids said they wanted cheerios on weekend for lunch and i was like, what? cereal?
Yeah we also call them cocktail franks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so thats SA yeh?
yeah i worked in a woolies deli in wa and remember a customer asking if we had "cheerios" i pointed him to the cereal aisle😅when i moved to qld and worked the deli there i eventually realised they call the cocktail franks that.same as polony/devon

Back